Small rant What does Running motor mean to people these days

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
I'm so frustrated it's not even funny. I have purchased 4 "running" motors for my scamp at this point and was told by each seller "yeah it runs great, no noise, no smoke." And maybe I am the sucker for not asking for some better proof of running condition I still want to know what the hell people actually consider a running engine these days. 2 engines with wiped cam bearings, 2 with major bottom end play and Honestly I'm not in the position to be throwing away money rebuilding these damn things otherwise I would have bought a built motor. I'm a Dad with 3 kids I don't have a ton of Spare cash laying around so when I buy something I was told runs great I assumed it wouldn't have been another boat anchor. Rant over, but, seriously I just want a good running engine for my baby.

Suppose it is the same thing as "rust free" to some folks......you know, the guys that say there car is "solid" except for the pin holed floors, bubbled quarters etc.

I'm like you, way too trusting. Been screwed so many times my a$$ hurts, but I still seem to think everyone is as honest as me! But it's :bs:

Attachments

• icon_anal.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 383
i got a "running" 440 , main bearings destroyed, cam bearings wiped out, 1 rod was destroyed along with 6 of the 8 bearings, i feel your pain

i got a "running" 440 , main bearings destroyed, cam bearings wiped out, 1 rod was destroyed along with 6 of the 8 bearings, i feel your pain
Ever notice EVERY used car you see says "Runs Great"? Not a single one of 'em runs like a turd......

Sadly there is a 360 I know is good sitting in a garage not far from my house that I could have had for $450 and the owner is a personal friend of mine but I have spent twice that on other "runners"

Ever notice EVERY used car you see says "Runs Great"? Not a single one of 'em runs like a turd......

LOL definitely. they always run great, until you start it up , then its 20 different excuses. "well it was" and "it still needs" blah blah blah

So now I need to sell off more parts to repair this last "running" engine.

same here, i am trying to sell off **** just so i can rebuild this 440, that i shouldnt have had to. im still a little bent about it, but its too late now, all i can do is move forward

I admit, but on the other hand, I HAVE "bought low."

The van I bought with a 360/ 727 for only 350 and junked ran good until it developed a rod knock, but the 727 is SOLID. I cannot really complain. It WAS running good when I bought it

A motorhome engine had been out in the weather for FAR longer than the seller admitted, but then I only paid 150 for it AND the 727. I can't really complain about IT

The 318 that's in the car right now MUST have had only 20K or so on the engine, as the factory plastic timing sprocket looked brand new when I changed the cam. I paid 200 bucks for it, and it runs like nobody's business.

So ya pays, and ya takes yer chances.

LOL definitely. they always run great, until you start it up , then its 20 different excuses. "well it was" and "it still needs" blah blah blah
And the famed it has not ran in a few days, once it warms up.....

I admit, but on the other hand, I HAVE "bought low."

The 318 that's in the car right now MUST have had only 20K or so on the engine, as the factory plastic timing sprocket looked brand new when I changed the cam. I paid 200 bucks for it, and it runs like nobody's business.

So ya pays, and ya takes yer chances.

same here, i cant really complain . i bought a 318 and a 360 each with transmissions sight unseen off CL for 300 and 400 and both bolted in and are still running and shifting excellent....maybe i got lucky ...

And the famed it has not ran in a few days, once it warms up.....

LOL , i cant count the times ive heard that

Running means last time it ran was 1984 when it was over reved to 8000rpms and spun ever bearing in the motor.

Rust free mean 1 of 3 things.
1 Theres no rust except fro every panel between the front and rear bumper
2 All the rust was covered in bondo and undercoating
3 Theres no extra charge for the rust. The rust is free !

Running means last time it ran was 1984 when it was over reved to 8000rpms and spun ever bearing in the motor.

Rust free mean 1 of 3 things.
1 Theres no rust except fro every panel between the front and rear bumper
2 All the rust was covered in bondo and undercoating
3 Theres no extra charge for the rust. The rust is free !
Finally SOMEONE has explained rust free in a way that makes sense......

Suppose it is the same thing as "rust free" to some folks......you know, the guys that say there car is "solid" except for the pin holed floors, bubbled quarters etc.

rust free mean..they did not charge you for the rust...hence rust free

You can get a good slant engine for almost nothing. Price goes up fast with displacement. Best if they can run the engine before you buy it. You can run an engine for a short time on the ground. Problem is all our Mopar engines need a tranny attached to mount the starter. You can turn it over by hand at the crank bolt and feel for strong compression is all cylinders, but a little tricky to tell and doesn't tell you about bad bearings or cam.

"was running when parked"

42928197_69f0b0d04e_o.jpg

0.jpg

0847c42_27.jpeg

150-216-1-large.jpg

radack2X.jpg

For me, a little tired meant a running engine with no rings, heads that were beat to hell, a very worn crank that had to be replaced, and a nearly spun middle rod bearing. I drove it for 2000 miles like that.

well i guess when i buy some thing from the bone yard and they say it is running i know that when i get it home i will be going through the motors, trans, front and rear end and or transfere case. i check all the clears and the bearing expecting a rebuild. if you do not want to rebuild go to the auto parts store and get a reman. they have a warranty with and for a few extra dollars why not.

well i guess when i buy some thing from the bone yard and they say it is running i know that when i get it home i will be going through the motors, trans, front and rear end and or transfere case. i check all the clears and the bearing expecting a rebuild. if you do not want to rebuild go to the auto parts store and get a reman. they have a warranty with and for a few extra dollars why not.

Because $450 is way cheaper then $1899

yes but if you have bought four of them that adds up, or did i miss read your post.

-
Back