Smallblock Pistons: 1 question.....KB's -or- Sealed Power(SpeedPro hypers)???

-
Speed pro pistons are boat anchors. Biggest "problem" with 340 is piston weight. I used the KB flat tops with scat I beam rods and reduced rotating mass by more then 5 lbs.
What speed pro pistons are boat anchors? Since I thought we were talking about the hypers, I’d disagree.

I completely disagree cast pistons cannot take abuse. It's just not true. The vast MAJORITY of engines left the factory with cast pistons. Personally, I've had over 300 cars and a LOT of them had factory cast pistons and I abused the HELL out of all of them. So have millions of other people over time, so you can flush that stupid opinion right down the toilet.

Can they take large doses of nitrous for long periods? Of course not. Are they good for forced induction. As a rule of thumb, no, but I've seen people use them with success with both forced induction AND nitrous. The key is all in the tune and knowing when to LIFT your right foot!

All that said, IMO, unless you want to mess around with the special ring gaps the KB pistons require, use the Speed Pro pistons. They do not require the special ring gaps the KB pistons do.

If the engine is tuned and built well and USED with the intent IT WAS BUILT, it will be perfectly fine.

Last I was saying... about hypers....
The op was also... I think....
The choice between the speed pro 116 and the oh 107.... how some one got off track talking trash about forged slugs in a hyper thread......

Talking about hypers Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

I completely disagree cast pistons cannot take abuse. It's just not true. The vast MAJORITY of engines left the factory with cast pistons. Personally, I've had over 300 cars and a LOT of them had factory cast pistons and I abused the HELL out of all of them. So have millions of other people over time, so you can flush that stupid opinion right down the toilet.

Can they take large doses of nitrous for long periods? Of course not. Are they good for forced induction. As a rule of thumb, no, but I've seen people use them with success with both forced induction AND nitrous. The key is all in the tune and knowing when to LIFT your right foot!

All that said, IMO, unless you want to mess around with the special ring gaps the KB pistons require, use the Speed Pro pistons. They do not require the special ring gaps the KB pistons do.

If the engine is tuned and built well and USED with the intent IT WAS BUILT, it will be perfectly fine.

Depends, though it's less...anyways, here.

Screenshot_20181128-203618_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well fellas.....it came down to price and weight(lighter of course!) and KB's thru Jegs and one of their promo codes helped win the KB's over with rings yet! Thankyou for all your help and opinions, they really did help with the decision! Happy Holidays....

Last I was saying... about hypers....
The op was also... I think....
The choice between the speed pro 116 and the oh 107.... how some one got off track talking trash about forged slugs in a hyper thread......

Talking about hypers Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

OP says in the thread he is building a 340. 340 lower cost piston choices are pretty much limited to speed pro (old trw) forgings or kb/united machine 243 hypers. If there is another lower cost high compression 340 piston I am all ears. Not trying to talk trash about anyone's build, just trying to help.

Not for that compression level... there are some Silvolite 1267's; they are regular cast and are lower compression ratio by almost 3/4 of a point.

The OP’s thread starting post right here. “Simple question like the title states...
KB's -or- Sealed Power(SpeedPro hypers)??? for a smallblock street/race build. Thankyou.”
OP says in the thread he is building a 340. 340 lower cost piston choices are pretty much limited to speed pro (old trw) forgings or kb/united machine 243 hypers. If there is another lower cost high compression 340 piston I am all ears. Not trying to talk trash about anyone's build, just trying to help.
Seems like you missed the opening post and went right to talking about things that doesn’t apply.

The OP’s thread starting post right here. “Simple question like the title states...
KB's -or- Sealed Power(SpeedPro hypers)??? for a smallblock street/race build. Thankyou.”

Seems like you missed the opening post and went right to talking about things that doesn’t apply.

Not sure what your deal is, but maybe you can explain how the 360 part number pistons you mentioned will work in the OP's 340 he is building. From the second post by the op in this thread I quote "Were building a street/strip 340". Like I said, I am trying to help him out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well fellas.....it came down to price and weight(lighter of course!) and KB's thru Jegs and one of their promo codes helped win the KB's over with rings yet! Thankyou for all your help and opinions, they really did help with the decision! Happy Holidays....

You are welcome sir. Glad to offer a little help to a fellow mopar man.

-
Back