smoke coming out of valve cover breather

-

Moparornocar51

Reaction score
Hi guys i bought this engine a while ago from a user on this forum

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/4feb2008smallblock426strokerdynotest.php

first it wont start up so we changed everything a new distributor , spark plug wires ect...

The engine runs now and sound very strong but my problem is that alot of white smoke come out from the valve cover breather on the left side at the right side also from the valve cover plug i also do have a pcv valve and its installed but not the line yet, because i need to drill a hole in my intake manifold first, i run a 15w 40 oil, the guy runs the engine with NOS somethimes i dont hope that a piston is gone, i also do have a compression tester, i need do check that too, but maybe some of you guys knew whats my problem is maybe

Thanks Peter

I would ask if you are getting pressure into your cooling system. Does it push antifreeze out? White smoke is usually water related, not oil. Just a thought that if it is pressurizing the cooling system, then it is a head gasket or something worse like a crack.

I would ask if you are getting pressure into your cooling system. Does it push antifreeze out? White smoke is usually water related, not oil. Just a thought that if it is pressurizing the cooling system, then it is a head gasket or something worse like a crack.

..................and................what does the dipstick look like?

You got a PCV valve installed but not the line, Drill a hole in the intake??? Before you drill, take a look at your carb, Edelbrocks have a port on the back for PCV, Intakes usually have a few plugs for PCV. You need to run one or youll see some steam/vapor coming out of the valve covers. That is usually condensation, safe.

i might add without a PCV working properly you might have crankcase pressure blowing your dipstick tube out .as phista stated, damn near every intake has a vacuum port ,but the PCV goes from the valve cover to the carb.are you sure it isnt blowby?

..............I don't think I've EVER seen an intake/ carb combo that didn't have a 3/8 port for PCV...........

..............I don't think I've EVER seen an intake/ carb combo that didn't have a 3/8 port for PCV...........

High performance aftermarket doesn't. There's no port on my Holley HP 4150 and only a 1/8" port on my Indy intake for a gage.

Hi guys thanks for the comments i have this carb 950 bigs

xcn03b.jpg

on the backside i have a port but there it is my brake booster line now, can i install my pcv valve line there too?

And i have an Edelbrock Super Victor intake, so there isnt any port there! And my dip stick looks like normally, but when i take some oil out from the engine there was a little white colour to see!

i can upload a video than u guys can see whats my problem is maybe

Thanks Peter

Hi guys i just made a video there you can see that its alot smoke!

My friend put his hand on the valve cover and he said there is much pressure coming from the engine, **** it looks not god for me now :-|

My friend mean that one piston has a hole or a piston ring is gone the smoke is on both sides of valve covers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xmJcFxfCD8&feature=youtu.be

I hope you guys can help me thx Peter!

run a compression test and leak test on the engine...

It may need some time for the rings to seat If everything checks ok I would hook up the pcv run it a while and recheck

wow nice carb. i run my power booster to the intake and PCV to the carburetor.if its not making any noise, as stated, the rings may need to seat.

Try putting a plastic bottle or something over it to catch the smoke to make sure it is smoke and not steam. If there's condensation (water) droplets in the bottle, then you have a problem. I get a little smoke out of my breathers, but I've never taken them off to see how much blows out of the hole without the breather to slow it like you did in the video.

You could probably hold your hand over it too, and if it's wet, no good.

Hi we are very sure that its just oil, oil drops were over the valve covers and the hand wasnt wet too

The engine was running around 2500miles before i bought it, so the piston rings must seat for long time, or?

Thx Peter

As long as there's no moisture, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a high performance engine with high crank case pressure and temps. It should have a vacuum pump or evac tubes and that would probably alleviate it. That's just my opinion. If it was the piston rings, it would be smoking from the exhaust. I'm a novice at this though, so I could be wrong. Hopefully one of the experts chimes in. My heads and rocker gear are from Hughes too, and I get smoke and oil splatter from the breather caps. It has always done it. The engine was broke in and dyno'd by Brian at IMM. Never had a bit of problems from it.

It look fine to me.
Once you get the pcv valve hooked up, it will go a way as the carb will take car of it, like it designed to do!

You can take any eng and pull the pcv valve out of the valve cover and it will do that.
Was it cold when you did the video?

Hi guys i just made a video there you can see that its alot smoke!

My friend put his hand on the valve cover and he said there is much pressure coming from the engine, **** it looks not god for me now :-|

My friend mean that one piston has a hole or a piston ring is gone the smoke is on both sides of valve covers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xmJcFxfCD8&feature=youtu.be

I hope you guys can help me thx Peter!

I know this doesn't answer your question, but, careful with those hoodie strings near the moving belts!

It look fine to me.
Once you get the pcv valve hooked up, it will go a way as the carb will take car of it, like it designed to do!

You can take any eng and pull the pcv valve out of the valve cover and it will do that.
Was it cold when you did the video?

Yes it has -5 degrees when i made the video, so if it is really because of the pcv valve i will try to put it on my carb on this days and see whats happen

Thx Peter

i just put the cap of the valve covers which was sitting all the time on them it looks like milky

ohjlhs.jpg

o8ywbq.jpg

2vw7p1l.jpg

21ox4id.jpg

is that mean i have water in the oil?

Thx Peter

the white browny stuff could be condensation
like you said pretty cold 5* so if the engine didnt ran long enough
it make condensation in it
we see that every time a guy doesnt warm up his
engine enough

do compression and leak down test