Smoked pork shoulder, first try.

-
I take pork like pork loin, country ribs, that kind of meat and put it in crock pot on low most of day. We will B B Q some whatever on the pit, and then at the end when my coals have cooled way down, throw some wet fruit wood on and smoke the pork sitting on some tin foil with holes so the fat drains off. The meat will be so tender and then I get rid of fat and get that smoke flavor.
I know, I am simple.

I got a rack of spare ribs at Wally World today. Price was right. A little sweet rub and a rest overnight and a 3-2-1 on the Pit boss tomorrow. It's supposed to be nice out tomorrow so it should be perfect for a little smoking. 3-2-1 you ask? For spare and St Louis ribs (because they are bigger) I smoke them at low temp (around 180°-200°) for 3 hours, wrap them in foil for 2 hours, and unwrap and sauce for 1 hour. Baby Back because they are smaller get 2-2-1.

7-4-18 3.jpg

20210112_155144.jpg

Now I’m gonna have to buy a freezer and a smoker, l like meat, wife’s almost a vegetarian. To bad someone’s not closer I’d just buy it.

St. Louis ribs really aren't any bigger. They are spare ribs with the smaller ends trimmed off and the membrane on the bone side removed.
You should be a expert at those. You're right there. I need some apple juice or cider. Which do you prefer?

No expert but either is fine by me. Local stores have apple wood chips so I use those.
The juice would be sweeter and the cider a bit more tart, I would think.
Save the cider for sippin with some bourbon after dinner.
No matter how ya smoke it, smoked meat is gonna be good.
Any more I dont smoke anything. Its just me here so I grill.
Now at my son's house....boy, do we smoke stuff!

No expert but either is fine by me. Local stores have apple wood chips so I use those.
Smokin and jokin! Some bourbon is a must when you roll smoke. A sip or two of rye is my favorite.

Applesauce works well too.

There is a lot of internal fat on a pork shoulder. Also the fat acts as a barrier to the rub. Just my preference I guess.

Jack
I agree with you Jack, there is a lot of natural variation in pork ribs, shoulder, pork butts, I always lean them out prior to smoking, the flavor and tenderness is always good.
When selecting ribs, shoulder or pork butt at the grocery for smoking I take the time to select the meat cut from the Right side of the carcass. Pigs typically sleep-rest on their Left side so that meat is more compressed and is tougher. The meat from the right side is more tender..

Ha Ha,,,Just kidding on that one. That is a BBQ joke.

Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke works good to sprits ribs as well.

^5 on the apple wood for the smoke. Done that. Liked it a lot. Now to find a nearby apple tree to trim while the owner is not watching :lol:

Dam, if I had a smoker I would never stop eating. Kim

A smoker is fun way to cook. and you don't need to buy a $400.00 to get great results. Cracks me up to see the expensive smokers with the shinny chrome and glass doors. That glass and chrome will be sooty and dark after the first time it is used. Get something cheap and have fun with it.
I smoke with a $79.00 Brinkman electric smoker that I have used for 10 years. It works fine.

Last edited:
A smoker is fun way to cook. and you don't need to buy a $400.00 to get great results. Cracks me up to see the expensive smokers with the shinny chrome and glass doors. That glass and chrome will be sooty and dark after the first time it is used. Get something cheap and have fun with it.
I smoke with a $79.00 Brinkman electric smoker that I have used for 10 years. It works fine.

Charcoal Brinkman with the internal water pan works well too.

I always smoke baby backs but I got a $6 deal on this rack of spares. Going to spritz with Dr. Pepper.

20210113_115134.jpg

I saw the link to the smoker guys in earlier posts, but is there a place for easy starter instructions?

There is a lot of internal fat on a pork shoulder. Also the fat acts as a barrier to the rub. Just my preference I guess.

Jack

all good. I just have never cut the cap off. Sometimes I will do a butt on a rack and keep the fat. Can be mixed with the pulled meat afterwards if needed. Maybe after my current gig(Saudi Arabia), I will try it trimmed. Enjoy.

-
Back