So it begins, '71 Duster 340 TX9

-
Sometimes I ask myself, Why do people do such things? With the motor out to the machine shop, it's time to start pulling the front suspension and all that. So there I am pulling the fenders to discover what you see below. In IMG_2131/2132 the silver piece is part of an old school folding chair arm that was cut and inserted to fill the gap of the rotted metal. It's held in place with one screw. The hood hinges? Well, all I can say is this will just sharpen my body work skills getting this back to normal.

And the beat goes on...

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

Brother, back in the day we had to do what we had to do. We just wanted to keep our cars going. It was a necessity. No one had $1000 for an air filter because it was numbers correct. Numbers correct, hell, we didn't even know what that meant. Too busy keeping food on the table.

People did what they had to, I bought a 70 cuda, 340 4-speed for parts a few years ago, complete car.
Bought it off my grandpas neighbor, so I go the complete story.
He bought it in 1976 in PA and drove it to WV and parked it.
It was rusted back then, when I tore it apart, the inner fenders were pop-rivited in. Obviously changed, living in the rust belt has its own challenges.

My uncle bought a new 1970 Duster, real pretty car blue with a blue interior, in 1974 with 40,000 miles on it, he drove it to the junk-yard, the rear springs went thru the trunk.

It is a wonder any old cars survived.

At one point they were just old used cars owned by people with no money and no repair skills. Band aid it up and hope it don't break down leave you stranded somewhere. Now they are classic cars and we wanna make them right. Correct all the botched up repiars....

-
Back