so just wondering

-

mrsmothers

Reaction score
I would like a bigger rear-end in my 65 barracuda what should I look for when I am in the junkyard for a good swap. Really want something that will just bolt in if such a thing exist . Keep in mind our yards are mostly 90s and newer and every now then you get a few late 80s cars.

73-6 A body with large bolt disc's will have what you need. If it has the disc brakes too,grab em with the prop valve.

73-6 A body with large bolt disc's will have what you need. If it has the disc brakes too,grab em with the prop valve.
Finding an a body in our area would be like finding gold know of any late model rear ends ?

I believe that guys are using the Ford 8.8" rear out of Explorers! I also believe they have to be cut and centered, but do have limited slips in em!

I saw a diplomat from a third world country with a large rear end....and also a few New Yorkers with the same...these gals can be found in the Dakotas and about any other state in the union. does the wife know you looking for this....

I saw a diplomat from a third world country with a large rear end....and also a few New Yorkers with the same...these gals can be found in the Dakotas and about any other state in the union. does the wife know you looking for this....
haha she'll never know

I would like a bigger rear-end in my 65 barracuda what should I look for when I am in the junkyard for a good swap. Really want something that will just bolt in if such a thing exist . Keep in mind our yards are mostly 90s and newer and every now then you get a few late 80s cars.

then the only choice is an abody 8 1/4 or 8 3/4.

A dakota pick up truck rear end is 6" too wide if memory serves me correctly.
Wrong spring perch side too. trucks on top and cars on bottom.
Plus alot of the Dakota are 6 lug but the 10 x 2.5" brakes are the same.
I just bought a 8.250 from a Dart with big bolt and switching over the whole car to BBP. better choice of rims too!
Good luck!

Good luck finding an A-body 8.75" rear, as they were rare even then.
C-bodies had 8.75", but much too wide so would need to cut both axle tubes and shorten both axles.
The reason many use the Ford 8.8" is they are common and cheap (Explorer), requires shortening only 1 axle tube and then using 2 "short side" axles, and a quick way to get rear disk brakes. Read the posts w/ many photos.

Nothing else is a direct bolt in swap except an A body 8.25 or 8.75, just like Joe said.

Dakota's are on top of the leaves just like cars, w/5 bolt axles & 15" rims, they still came with 9" drums often. The track drum to drum is 63", the axle flanges are 57.24", and
the spring pads are 43.24" center to center( A-bodies are 43.02").They also have 3" axle tubes, so you need 8.25/8.75 shock plates anyway, definitely not a "bolt in"! All larger
rears will need shorter driveshafts too, the pinions are larger/longer, so you really need to find a doner car or be prepared to find and piece together everything. FMJ cars are 3"
wider,the spring pads are 44.46" center to center. My advice, start diggin' for gold unless you've got a lot of spare time!

-
Back