So our dog just died.....

-

Useless

Reaction score
Right there in the bedroom floor, about two hours ago. To be honest we all knew it was coming, he'd been with the family for 16-17 years and over the past few years developed an enlarged heart and this bad cough/choking thing. He'd been living with my mom for the past few years but we took over renting her place and he stayed with us for the past month. It was clear over the past two days that he was not doing great and this evening he was awful, panting constantly and pretty confused.

We took him back to the bedroom with us tonight and made him a bed, he would usually sleep in the living room. About 20 minutes before it happened he got up and came over to my side of the bed to say goodbye to me I guess, the went back to lay down...then he was gone.

I don't usually get too emotional about this stuff but this time I can't help it, as much as he got on my nerves at times I loved that damn dog. At my best and at my worst, through thick and thin he was there for me, tail wagging... ready to love and looking for food.

My girlfriend helped me wrap him up and put him in a box and we took him over to my moms place until the morning when we can figure out what happens next.

She was exhausted and went to bed, I can't just yet. This place feels very empty and cold without him here, I can't say I've ever felt this alone in my entire life.

I'm sorry for this downer of a post but I just had to get it out and had to do it right now. Thanks for listening guys.

Yogi, we'll miss ya

I am sorry to here that your ol' friend is no longer with you but just think of those wonderful 16-17 years that you all had with him. I know the feeling that your experiencing, I've felt it three times in my lifetime. Go hang on your girlfriend or see if she'll get up and watch TV with you or just talk. Whatever you do, lean on her and others until you're ok with it. Again, my condolences and get some sleep when you're ready.

Words cant express how close we can get to our animals. I totally understand how you feel. We have a American Pitbull Terrior (Jessie) that is the love of our life. Dont even want to think how diffacult it will be when that day comes. Sorry for your loss my friend, hang in there.
Take care.
John

Jessie says she is sorry to.

Picture 505.jpg

Mine is 14 yrs. old. and I know my Wife and myself will be devastated when her time comes. I love that damn dog more then some people I've known....

AngelMutt-vi.jpg

Our condolences go out to you & your family on loosing a family member.

I've buried a few over the years and understand your grief.
Rather then feel we were blessed with a good dog I choose to believe the dog was blessed with a good home. It's easy when you consider all the dogs that die in shelters every day. Your dog may have lived a longer, happier life than any in his litter. Lets be thankful for the blessings we recieve and even more thankful for those opertunities to be a blessing.

You will find no more loyal friend than a dog. Simple things make them so happy...having their ears scratched, a dog biscuit, or just hearing, "good dog."

Rest in peace little critter.

When you are ready, you will have to find another pal, I did and am glad I did. Mine has become my friend in his own rite. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for the loss of your family member......I mean that.......These little guys are some of the greatest buddies on God's Earth.........

Hat's off.

I've buried a few over the years and understand your grief.
Rather then feel we were blessed with a good dog I choose to believe the dog was blessed with a good home. It's easy when you consider all the dogs that die in shelters every day. Your dog may have lived a longer, happier life than any in his litter. Lets be thankful for the blessings we recieve and even more thankful for those opertunities to be a blessing.

I could not think of a better way to put it RedFish.
I have had a few I had to put in the ground myself.
No one could see the tears but me when I laid Storm to rest.
It was raining and I think that day will always be in my memory.
Thanks for your very fine words RedFish.

Sorry for your loss Useless.

I understand how you feel. I had this demon Kat from hell. A Siamese that my gf (at the time) said it had to be a Siamese. Well the demon Kat from hell survived her disappearance and subsequent removal of my heart. And when I was forced out of my family home (by other members of the family) the demon kat from hell survived that too. He lived in the 16" trailer with me while the building was going up. NINE MONTHS in that stinkin trailer. And the demon kat from hell was still with me.

Then one day after we'd been in the building a couple of years, he must have slipped out of the big door while a guy was here picking up some parts. And I never saw him again. I felt betrayed. Truly betrayed that after everything else, this lil **** should make a break for it......and possibly fall victim to the roving packs of dogs people seem to let go and be fine with "cause we live in the country". Don't no fuckin strays come round my place any more......

Anyway, it took a while for me to get over that. Him sneaking out to "see the world" or whatever his mindset.Probably been two years now.

i still miss that kat

my condolences

I've tried to guard my heart over the last few years regarding my "oldest". It almost makes me angry at myself for being so close to an animal ... after all, I can shoot deer, hogs, squirrels, etc, with abandon (but respect for the life given) but upset my dog and I'm apologizing to her ? Odd relationship, a man and his dog ... just the thought of her not being there one day makes me tear up. We can read each other's facial expressions, body language - minds for that matter. I can only imagine how you feel. Just as soon as you feel the urge - visit the local shelter, there's somebody there waiting for you ... I think it's what Yogi'd want you to do ("help a brotha' out !)

100_3274_(Small).jpg

I feel your pain. My girl(Ginger) died about a year and a half ago on my bedroom floor. She had a tumor on her heart that pressed on an atrium. I stayed with her til 5 am and then went to sleep. I woke up suddenly at 6am. It was all quiet. She had just died.

Think of it thatat least he died with the pack. The best place to be.

Here is my girl Ginger that passed.

ginger 022.1.JPG

Useless,
I am sorry to hear about your dog...amazing how attached we get to our dogs!!

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Rebeldart said it well here:

"It almost makes me angry at myself for being so close to an animal ... after all, I can shoot deer, hogs, squirrels, etc, with abandon (but respect for the life given) but upset my dog and I'm apologizing to her ? Odd relationship, a man and his dog ... just the thought of her not being there one day makes me tear up. We can read each other's facial expressions, body language - minds for that matter." A dog is truly Man's best friend.

Here's a little story you might like:

"An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt
road with fences on both sides, they came to a gate
in the fence and looked in, it was nice - grassy,
woody areas, just what a 'huntin' dog and man would
like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' so
they walked on.

They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white
robes standing there. "Welcome to Heaven"
he said. The old man was happy and started in with his
dog following him.

The gatekeeper stopped him. "Dogs aren't allowed,
I'm sorry but he can't come with you." "What
kind of Heaven won't allow dogs? If He can't come in,
then I will stay out with him. He's been my faithful
companion all his life, I can't desert him now.
" "Suit yourself, but I have to warn you,
the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you
into his area, he'll promise you anything, but, the dog can't
go there either. If you won't leave the dog, you'll
spend Eternity on this road " So the old man and
dog went on.

They came to a rundown fence with a gap in it, no gate,
just a hole. Another old man was inside. "Scuse me Sir,
my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in
and sit in the shade for awhile?" "Of course, there's
some cold water under that tree over there. Make yourselves
comfortable " "You're sure my dog can come in?
The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed
anywhere." "Would you come in if you had to leave
the dog?" " No sir, that's why I didn't go to
Heaven, he said the dog couldn't come in. We'll be spending
Eternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some
shade would be mighty fine right about now. But, I won't
come in if my buddy here can't come too,
and that's final. "

The man smiled a big smile and said "Welcome to Heaven."
"You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed? How come that
fellow down the road said they weren't?" "That was the
Devil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a life
long companion for a comfortable place to stay.
They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late.
The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there.
GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all,
HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would he
separate them in death?"

Author Earl Hamner"

I empathize with you completely. This is Dexter, he lived with me for 16 years. He died in February of `08. My heart still aches, but I was thankful to have shared that time together. He enriched our lives and was truly a part of the family.

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_1689 (Medium).jpg

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Rebeldart said it well here:

"It almost makes me angry at myself for being so close to an animal ... after all, I can shoot deer, hogs, squirrels, etc, with abandon (but respect for the life given) but upset my dog and I'm apologizing to her ? Odd relationship, a man and his dog ... just the thought of her not being there one day makes me tear up. We can read each other's facial expressions, body language - minds for that matter." A dog is truly Man's best friend.

Here's a little story you might like:

"An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt
road with fences on both sides, they came to a gate
in the fence and looked in, it was nice - grassy,
woody areas, just what a 'huntin' dog and man would
like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' so
they walked on.

They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white
robes standing there. "Welcome to Heaven"
he said. The old man was happy and started in with his
dog following him.

The gatekeeper stopped him. "Dogs aren't allowed,
I'm sorry but he can't come with you." "What
kind of Heaven won't allow dogs? If He can't come in,
then I will stay out with him. He's been my faithful
companion all his life, I can't desert him now.
" "Suit yourself, but I have to warn you,
the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you
into his area, he'll promise you anything, but, the dog can't
go there either. If you won't leave the dog, you'll
spend Eternity on this road " So the old man and
dog went on.

They came to a rundown fence with a gap in it, no gate,
just a hole. Another old man was inside. "Scuse me Sir,
my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in
and sit in the shade for awhile?" "Of course, there's
some cold water under that tree over there. Make yourselves
comfortable " "You're sure my dog can come in?
The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed
anywhere." "Would you come in if you had to leave
the dog?" " No sir, that's why I didn't go to
Heaven, he said the dog couldn't come in. We'll be spending
Eternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some
shade would be mighty fine right about now. But, I won't
come in if my buddy here can't come too,
and that's final. "

The man smiled a big smile and said "Welcome to Heaven."
"You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed? How come that
fellow down the road said they weren't?" "That was the
Devil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a life
long companion for a comfortable place to stay.
They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late.
The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there.
GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all,
HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would he
separate them in death?"

Author Earl Hamner"

There is an old "Twilight Zone" episode that follows that exact story line. Good story!

Thanks Ray,

I just hate hearing about loosing our best friends and I thought this might cheer us all up a bit. BTW, I dig your new avatar. Parked like that you could leave the keys in and not have to worry.

Longgone,

Bingo my friend. That was written for the Twilight Zone by Earl Hamner.

Again, my condolences Useless. I've been there too.

Yogi;Born a DOG, died a gentleman. sorry for your loss, mike

So sorry for your loss. I've always had pets as long as I can remember, and they all become family. It hurts to lose them, but it would suck even worse not to have had them in your life. When you're ready, take rebeldart's advice and check out the shelter. The best pets are rescue critters.

Ramcharger, that was an awesome story.

Sorry about your dog. I have 2 rat terriers, Rocket and little Miss"L"(Love). I love them dearly, and I feel your pain! Love Curt

-
Back