So sick of the V8 or die guys...

-
You guys are babbling about displacement issues being the limiting factor... It's not really displacement overall but the fact that all /6's have a tiny 3.4" bore which severely limits breathing when combined with the massive 4.125" stroke of the 225. If Chrysler ever made an oversquare inline 6 like the Aussie Hemi 6 it would blow the doors off any /6 and have more potential to boot. The slant 6 just wasn't designed with performance in mind; yes they had stuff like the hyper-pak but even Willem Weertman said it himself: "If a customer wanted more performance, they could easily upgrade to a V-8 model." A turbo evens the playing field a bunch but you still have a long-stroke tractor engine that has trouble spinning much over 5500 RPM without serious mods. Still to each his own and turbo slants do kick ***!

The world is full of those "_____ or die!" types of people. I say build whatever suits your needs. I took out my slant and put in a 318 just because I already had parts for it and I am much more familiar with the platform. Hell, I get ask the "why not a 360?" question pretty often. The fact is I also got the 318 core for free so unless they want to give me a free 360 and pay all the machining cost........ eat it. The funny thing I found is most of the people who want to bash whatever it is you have are incapable of doing it themselves. The guy who used to give me b.s. couldn't even do a fluid and filter change on an automatic trans. let alone assemble an engine.
We are all already in an oddball group. I say build the slant and have fun with it.

Bone stock 70.000 mile 170 ci /6 standard 3 speed on the tree.
Have fun and do it your way...:coffee2:.. I did :D feed it fresh air and my fully
dressed 66 Valiant's best pass was a 11.27 1/8 mile.
I don't think these /6'es have a week link from bone stock except the head, but have Big @$$ bearing that will take a betting for a long time...:coffee2:

3 years on this Arkansas set up and driven almost daily :glasses7:
Take your time and enjoy because when it's dun it will last a life time.

Attachments

• xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx%20001.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 910%204%20offy%20777777777%20022.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 283
  • 910%204%20offy%20777777777%20071.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 280
  • 910%204%20offy%20777777777%20073.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 277
  • DOMINOS%20031.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20033.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 281
Dang Mike,...I did not know Victoria looked that good with her skirt up....Nice job...

Dang Mike,...I did not know Victoria looked that good with her skirt up....Nice job...

Her skirt :D Don't you mean her bonnet :D, Not just for looks she has been so user friendly and enjoys the lack of back pressure and nice fresh air :D
Thank you jaimus, she has been this way for about 3 1/3 years and I enjoy getting 24 mpg on the hwy, last trip was to 66aCUDA's house to pick up my new shaved stainless big valve head awaiting a 225/ build :coffee2:

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20124.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 293
Those heads are F'n heavy...someone make an aluminum one...please! There was a guy on a Ford forum that cast his OWN AL 351C block..can you believe it?

Those heads are F'n heavy...someone make an aluminum one...please! There was a guy on a Ford forum that cast his OWN AL 351C block..can you believe it?

I agree, maybe one with a tall port like an ls1 would be cool.

I agree, maybe one with a tall port like an ls1 would be cool.

That's an excellent idea. Back when Pro Stock was in its infancy, the AMC factory team couldn't compete with the available OEM heads, so they took four (4) heads and sliced them horizontally with the dividing line slightly more than 50-percent high on one set and slightly more than 50-percent low on the other set and welded the two bigger sets together, creating two heads with ports that were considerably taller then stock. It worked; they started winning races, but NHRA was under pressure and finally disallowed that procedure. Lotta work...

I think that could be done with a /6 head. Tall ports...

Hey Adam, did you drop in a V8 yet? :glasses7:

Duck-n-run LOL...J/K buddy!!!!! LOL

Go slanty :prayer:

And how exactly is this relevant?? Lets see, drive around in a gas hog of a hot road or jump in the modern EFI car that always runs the same and gets good mileage.....hmmmm.....that is a no brainer. Let me guess, if you had both at your option, a turbo slant six hot rod and an economical modern vehicle you would dd the /? If you say you would I am guessing you have brown eyes......from being full of sh*t........

I'd much rather drive the slant. You can build a cherry slant car for $10k or spend $25k on a brand new car. In 10 years both cars will be worth the same amount of money. You'll have spent thousands on maintenance on the new car and maybe a few hundred on the slant. You'll need full coverage gap insurance and you'll be paying interest on the new car. Slant only needs liability.

Give me the slant any day.

Been down that same road before, 5K for a used "insert name of some non-descript pos" or 5k for a decent a-body with a /6. 5 years from now, the slant valiant will be worth more than that corolla / accord / civic, and the slant wont cost a fortune to fix or keep running.

I have about 6-7k into my Duster including purchase price and all of the upgrades. Take your time, come up with a plan ( and stick to it ) and build as time/money permits.

After having driven a 4-speed turbo slant for the last 18 months I have to say that it behaved very well under boost, would boil the 245's on the rear, had mild manors when not in boost, AND the looks on peoples faces were priceless.

Over heard my wife at a rest stop while on a cross country trip in our 67 Dart,,
"Hell, we take this thing everywhere.Best part is he can fix it with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers!"

tell them to take a hike, do what you like :) not that im trying to bash ma mopar at all im partial to all makes, but look at the route the automotive industry is going.. Chrysler with their 3.6l and 4.7l and 8spd torqueflite, fords 3.5 ecoboost...and gm well they will figure it out think they have something on the way.. however some engineers got paid ALOT of money to drink coffee and figure that it isn't necessary to run BIG thirsty V-8's 'unless its an application specific vehicle'. if your crafty and good at tuning turbos and boost is sweet, you can take a small engine make it run one hundred plus efficiency while your friends 302 mustang is running at say 80 percent on the high side... there are several reasons that every hiway tractor and 'almost' all diesels have forced induction...efficiency being one... and the sound of a healthy turbo spooling is bad ***:burnout:

Hears a slant six combo that pulled an 11.54 in a 1967 Barracuda.
Block

170 block (80 lbs lighter than 225)
198 crank
Vega 4 cylinder pistons ( yes weak cast vega pistons)
Modified oil pump
Balanced

Head.
Oversized valves ( these can be purchased for about $80)
Stock v8 valve springs
Ported head ( slants are easy to port...but different than v8)
Custom grind cam.
Stock rocker arms

Recurved distributor
Hyper PAC intake manifold ( rare part used about 400-500)
Holley carb 650
8 3/4 rear end
150 shot nitrous

Nothing but the intake is expensive. You should see the look on people's face when they have been beat by grandmas slant six. The engine was pulled from the barracuda (wrecked towing to a race) and put in a street car.

I had a turbo slant six in a 66 valiant. Blew through a modified Holley, worked well full throttle but drivability suffered. (Too rich) the car could go 140 easily with 3.55 gears. I never raced it in the quarter mile. If I were to do a turbo again I would also add fuel injection.

-
Back