So what is it? Red "light"?

-

WV64Signet

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
You folks like puzzles: :)

I have one of these red items on my car...which I thought was something odd that a prior owner installed. Doesn't seem to do anything. Then I'm cruising the interwebs and see another 64 Valiant with the same item attached just under-dash.

Red (I'm calling it a light?). It is not a button, does not depress.
The red plastic portion is about 1/2 inch in diameter
The chrome ring is approximately 1/4 inch wide.

So what is it? I was thinking courtesy light of some sort but the position on the end of the dash on my car makes little sense.

20211006_085635.jpg

Screenshot_20211005-193253_Brave.jpg

But one might think popular at some point...whether 64 Valiant specific or just in general. I haven't seen it on other models as of yet.
You'll have to trace the wires and see where they go. Is there one on the passenger side too?

In the early 60's a park brake light was optional.
Many were dealer installed.Of the many early A&B Mopars I've owned only one had a light.
Any wires connected to it ?

It is a parking brake reminder. It was an option on early A’s and maybe later

Well, I eat crow every now and then. Here ya go. Out of the accessory catalog back in 66.

upload_2021-10-6_8-18-44.png

Oh...very cool

Thanks gents. Love the power of the brain trust.

I'll crawl up and see if I can find any wires. It would be cool to get it working again.

So the fuse was inline off the block then? The pieces look familiar. I'll get down to the garage at lunch and see. I do know that the switch is installed on the parking brake now.
It looks like they used a dome light switch.

I've found a number of "wires to nowhere" under the dash and hood... I'll have to track this down. It may run behind the kick panel.
I bet. It should be pretty simple. Power from the fusebox to a switch on the e-brake mechanism and over to the light.

So the fuse was inline off the block then? The pieces look familiar. I'll get down to the garage at lunch and see. I do know that the switch is installed on the parking brake now.
No inline fuse holder.
The fuse and one wire goes to accessory slot of your fuse box. The other wire goes to the switch mounted on park brake mechanism. Switch smply supplies a ground to light bulb

^^Exactly^^ These work just like the door switch on the dome light. Switch is on/off to ground, lamp is fully insulated from ground. One wire from a key-switched source to the light, a second wire from the lamp to the parking brake switch.

^^Exactly^^ These work just like the door switch on the dome light. Switch is on/off to ground, lamp is fully insulated from ground. One wire from a key-switched source to the light, a second wire from the lamp to the parking brake switch.

Or this...

What's the technical term for this wiring technique?

Not a lunchbreak effort.

Added to "the list"

I did get the nuts out....:BangHead:

20211006_122312.jpg

1633537796989152830336751728322.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back