So...you say you want to buy an electric car?

-
Even without the solar it still makes economic sense to me.

As for the rebates The Fed and State are offering as incentives to go electric , why not take advantage of them ? After all its my taxes also !

Wake up guys ! If your in the market for a NEW daily driver do the math before you buy or lease .

Oh , and living in California is such a bit** , what with the sunshine tax to get in , state income tax , sales tax , property tax , road tax , etc ...
But we can go surfing , water skiing , boating , sailing , snow skiing , off roading , mountain biking , hiking , road racing , sun bathing , etc. in some combinations the same day .

I was reading just yesterday that Honda Motorsports is working on a hydrogen fuel cell motorcicle. Fuel cell over electric I guess. Interesting concept, works for the space vehicles. You can drink the exhaust. BTW, us petroleum powered drivers beginning Nov 1 will be paying more for the highway upkeep for all the EVs since they pay no road use fees. Buy no gas/diesel, pay no taxes. What a deal.

Ahh , the state passed a law to charge EV's $ 100/year for road tax starting in 2019 .

They are also trying to pass a law that will charge a per mile driven tax on all vehicles in California.
How they plan on doing that on all vehicles is a bit unclear. I suppose on OBDII vehicles they could , on vehicles requiring smog inspections they could.
But what about the older cars , diesels, etc. ? Would they require an inspection or put a transponder on them ?
What about miles driven outside of California, how would they figure those ?

BTW several other states have or are considering the miles driven tax .

I think a miles driven tax is BS and very hard to do accurately . Heck my Tundra has seen most of it's miles outside of California , how are they going to figure that ?

Last edited:
And don't get me started on the weight fee on pickups in California !
What a windfall for the state since most are for personal use now !
Its a old TAX that made some sense back in the day when pickups were commercial work trucks.

Another thought on the miles driven tax on the "other" vehicles.
I suppose they could require your insurance co. to report your milage that you would have to report to them. Or you would have to report to the DMV your milage. But that leaves a lot of room for deceit . They could require an annual inspection . What a joke .

I've been paying those "commercial" fees since day 1. I've never been without a pickup in one form or another. Even my Ranchero had commercial plates. A Falcon/Fairlane wagon with no top? A "commercial" vehicle? Give me a break. How many Uber Toyota Camrys have commercial plates?

I know what you mean I have 3 mid 50's pickups , a Tundra with a hightop cap ( used to be able to get non commercial plates BUT they closed that loop hole by requireing it to be permanent living space ) and a SSR a convertible with a trunk I don't see a pickup there .
Talk about a windfall for the state ! Sad thing is I can only drive one at a time and not very often .

Last edited:
-
Back