So...you say you want to buy an electric car?

-
All sound good but the Congo article stated that it was Europe that was going to ban petrol and diesel by 2040. Who knows how accurate the article is in that respect.
Europe sucks, and the muslim rapugees are gonna burn it down long before that date is a reality

Must have been someone else. We went 2 yrs ago I think. It's pretty cool. I wanna hit Iceland next.

I gotta start carrying my camera more often. Yesterday I see a Prius parked on the shoulder of the road. The owner/driver was putting gas in it with a gas can that I assume he borrowed from the gas station 4 blocks away. Classic :rofl:good thing I was close to home, thought I was gonna wet myself.

So, What's your daily driver ?

(All cars are manual transmission)

Two 1991 Honda civics 30mpg+
or 73 Road Runner 14 mpg +

Your wife's daily driver ?
2002 VW Jetta turbocharged 1.8, 30mpg - soon to be Subaru Outback, 6 speed

How many miles do you put on in your daily driver ?

< 12,000 a year me, 20K annually wife

How would you like to not have to buy fuel for it every week or two ?
$60 month for me (am gone 6 months, other vehicle is Nuclear powered, slow, dangerous with a driveshaft that handles over a million foot pounds of torque-my people drive me in that one- refueled once every 35 years or so)

It would work for me, wife drives too far, my work will change in a year or so.

How would you like to NOT have to service it every X miles or
do Tune ups, Trans service, cooling system service, exhaust maintenance or brake jobs over a 10 year period ?

I'm not rich, service is part of life. Even dad got his knees serviced.- gets a few more miles and mom doesn't have the hassle of a newer model!

What vehicle do you take on vacation ?
Either. 1976 Dodge Aspen with A/C if they give me time off.

Answer these questions honestly .

Honestly, we are not the majority. We put thought and effort into our choice or this would be a ford/chevy/foreign car board.

We are the kind of people that will put effort and research into going electric vehicle.

Personally I don't want a car that is recalled, breaks easy, or catches on fire-low maintenance , fuel economy, for my daily and wife's car, and something original and outstanding for fun.

I heard today that Teslais turning out their cars at a blistering pace of 20, yes, 20 cars per WEEK!!!!!

I heard today that Teslais turning out their cars at a blistering pace of 20, yes, 20 cars per WEEK!!!!!
That's just the new model 3 that they have been having production issues with. Tesla's average production rate for 2017 has been 2500 vehicles per week for all models.

My son graduated college a few months ago and now works for the school he graduated from.
He has Tesla posters on his wall and I went in his bedroom and found brochures and a price quote for one. I don't think I would won't one, but I hope he achieves his dream

All sound good but the Congo article stated that it was Europe that was going to ban petrol and diesel by 2040. Who knows how accurate the article is in that respect.
I'very heard 2040 in more than a few places, not that far away

Solar panels on our house. What is the cost of getting all of that set up and operational ? I would assume that there is maintenance and replacement costs eventually. If all of that is factored in how long does it take for cost recovery. Are they only looking at their monthly bill from the power company to think they have saved money? Just posing the question here . I do not have these answers.
Yote

I'very heard 2040 in more than a few places, not that far away
Farther away than you think. It's 23 years until then.

Think about where the World and technology was 23 years ago...

PC computers were running Windows 3.0
483 chip computers were considered 'fast'
Average PC cost was $2500
Average PC hard drive was 125 MB, high end was 500 MB
Monitors were CRT bricks
Tape drives and hard disks were the data storage of choice
floppy disks were still common
The internet was in its infancy and dial-up modems were the way to connect to it
Cell phones were also bricks and only made calls...and expensive
OBD II systems for vehicles first appeared
Printers for personal use were daisy wheels
Nintendo 64 was the hot gaming system
DVDs were first launched in Japan

Think about where we are today...and where the World and technology will be the same distance in the future as we are from the past I described above.

I am in North Carolina. Duke energy has an offer that they will put solar panels on your. Home for no money down and the money you save will make your payment. I talked to them and was told I would need to cut down all of the trees in my back yard. So we are not doing that

I talked to a guy at the Tesla charging station in town. He said charging takes a little longer than stated but he is OK with it. 2017 Tesla S and X will need to pay to use the superchargers too and he has to pay for his '17 S to charge.

Lori and I have dreams of doing the solar panels. We are in Ontario and the.program is/was called "Microfit".
My exboss did it on his carpet mfg bldg. In his circumstances, 800 sq feet of usable rooftop.
Paperwork from start to the switch getting thrown took about 6 months.
1st cheque from Hydro I believe took 3 months after switch turned on. (Quarterly payments??)
Initial cost was $80 thousand. He took a line of credit against the business. Proposed paid in full in 8 years. Triple his money in either 20 or 25 years (cant remember which)
One stipulation is that the building cannot be for the sole purpose of the solar panels. House, existing garage etc.
He sells all the power back to them. They pay more then what they charge. Yep
Solar panels on our house. What is the cost of getting all of that set up and operational ? I would assume that there is maintenance and replacement costs eventually. If all of that is factored in how long does it take for cost recovery. Are they only looking at their monthly bill from the power company to think they have saved money? Just posing the question here . I do not have these answers.
Yote

I am in North Carolina. Duke energy has an offer that they will put solar panels on your. Home for no money down and the money you save will make your payment. I talked to them and was told I would need to cut down all of the trees in my back yard. So we are not doing that

So .. how does a Prius belch out a big black cloud of smoke from the exhaust? Sure didn't look "Green" to me .. saw that on an LA freeway when the little turd poked his slowass nose in front of the black hemi today :rofl:

I saw and rode in the first Tesla S in our area this past week. A friend of ours bought a red one. Not that bad looking, very nice leather interior and the computer display screen in it is HUGE. IF you want to do a road trip, you input the trip data and it will show you the entire route along with routing you to the appropriate charging stations along the way to make the trip. Takes about 45 mins. on a supercharger to charge it and range is about 250 miles. Oh yeah, I need to mention that thing does 0-60mph in about 3 seconds!!! I was shocked at how fast it was without any engine noise...it's weird. He had us up over 90mph in no time at all.
For the price he paid for that thing, I could buy a new Hell Cat. I was impressed with it, but it's definitely not for me. Range is way too short and the cost way to high. As the technology advances, it might be an alternate vehicle for running errands around town. I still like the Hell Cat better...LOL

So .. how does a Prius belch out a big black cloud of smoke from the exhaust? Sure didn't look "Green" to me .. saw that on an LA freeway when the little turd poked his slowass nose in front of the black hemi today :rofl:
They are hybrids. The internal combustion engine onboard can be out of tune, or burning oil, just like any other petroleum burning I.C. engine.

Boy do I sure miss stopping at the gas station every week for gas for my daily running around .
My investment in solar is paying off even faster now that I have an electric car . BTW I won't be seeing an electric bill from now till next summer when I have to start air conditioning .
The $ 2500 rebate for the car the state sent me came in handy .

My decision to go electric was purely economic .

I ran the numbers today, the first year and a half of my 3 year lease is covered by the rebate , gas savings and my solar production has offset enough to not notice any increase in my power bill charging the EV . Not a bad deal , I get to drive a new car for 3 years and enjoy the looks I get when I smoke the tires silently. :)

When I was looking at the Kia Soul EV I also looked at the gas version , funny thing is the EV worked out to be less to lease then the gas version or even to purchase the gas version base model . The Soul EV is equiped with stuff you can't get on the base or mid model .

With the battery pack (350#) under the floor this thing handles like its on rails. The Soul EV weighs about the same as my Dart.

All have have to say is it does the job of my daily driving without having to get gas every week I just plug it in when I get home and in a few hours its fully charged again ready to go a hundred miles if need be . My typical run uses only 25% of the charge.

My decision to go electric was purely economic .

I ran the numbers today, the first year and a half of my 3 year lease is covered by the rebate , gas savings and my solar production has offset enough to not notice any increase in my power bill charging the EV . Not a bad deal , I get to drive a new car for 3 years and enjoy the looks I get when I smoke the tires silently. :)

When I was looking at the Kia Soul EV I also looked at the gas version , funny thing is the EV worked out to be less to lease then the gas version or even to purchase the gas version base model . The Soul EV is equiped with stuff you can't get on the base or mid model .

With the battery pack (350#) under the floor this thing handles like its on rails. The Soul EV weighs about the same as my Dart.

All have have to say is it does the job of my daily driving without having to get gas every week I just plug it in when I get home and in a few hours its fully charged again ready to go a hundred miles if need be . My typical run uses only 25% of the charge.
The only reason it "works" for you is because of the huge rebates and other special deals. Taxpayers (a.k.a. my) money is subsidizing the whole deal. If they start charging what it really costs, things wouldn't look so rosy. Plus you live in CA where the weather is usually nice and sunny. Try it in the North East or Mid West, with snowstorms, and other crap weather 1/2 the year. I doubt if you'd be so enthusiastic.

The only reason it "works" for you is because of the huge rebates and other special deals. Taxpayers (a.k.a. my) money is subsidizing the whole deal. If they start charging what it really costs, things wouldn't look so rosy. Plus you live in CA where the weather is usually nice and sunny. Try it in the North East or Mid West, with snowstorms, and other crap weather 1/2 the year. I doubt if you'd be so enthusiastic.

not to mention there is nothing in CA that is worth the drive (except the state line)

-
Back