Sold my duster for this......

-
My pops bought a '79 Aspen wagon new 35 years ago. Eggshell white with red interior. The wagon is long gone, no one in the family was driving it so it got sold. This is the only photo I have of that wagon. It was so new it still had its temporary tags, the front plates weren't on it yet. Maryland requires both front and rear plates. These old wagons are rarely seen on the roads these days.

Attachments

• aspenWagon.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 357
View attachment IMG_3132.jpg

was going to the track last friday night for test and tune. I figured I better run the valve lash before pounding on her too hard. took the valve cover off the driver side and found the mess in the pic. the nut and top half of the adjuster was laying in the top of the head. the bottom half of the adjuster was still threaded into the rocker arm but had started to back out. found that mess just in time, and still got lucky that the nut and top half didn't fall into the oil return of the head.

I have only run the car up to around 5800 rpm a few times on the street. the shift light is set at 6200. the old guy had told me before I left that he had been setting the valves at .012'' lash! I didn't say anything, but I knew that was way to tight. I contacted the engine builder for his take and he said .018''.

the old guy had also said the last time he ran the car that he made one pass and the car nosed over on him before the finish line. I think we may know why, now.

anyway, got another 4 pack of adjusters coming and we are gonna get everything set at .018 where it should be. should pick up some bottom end after the adjustment as well.

I have those exact same rockers and the builder of my engine must have over tightened them cause the exact same thing happened to me, I found the lock nut and remainder of the adjuster in the same place you did. talk about lucky...

Tint the windows, not too dark though, and no one will have a clue that it is gutted on the inside.

I have wanted to do a aspen/volare wagon for AGES now...they are just so odd and badass!

I got the new adjusters today, and went through the valves. I got done, and looked at the clock. test and tune was just starting at the local track. so, I decide to go see what she would do.

drove it 18 miles to the track on 93 octane pump gas.

ran a 7.392 ET(eigth mile track)

drove 18 miles back home and parked in the garage.

gotta love that.

little update on the Wagon for those who care.

since the 7.39 it has been in the 7.32 to 7.36range many times.

the last time I took it to the track the air was great. I felt pretty sure that I could get the wagon to run some high 7.20's. Although the air was great, the track was not. everyone was having traction issues that night. I think the track operator went light on the spray and track prep because rain was in the forecast, but never did.

the Wagon went a 7.302 and spun the tires some. lost about 2.5 hundredths in 60'ft from a pass that I had made 3 weeks earlier when it went 7.32. No doubt it would have gone in the 7.27 to 7.29 range.

never got back to the track after that, but I drive the car all the time.

Driving a car all the time is the best type of car to have.
You don't lose interest in them that way.

Like those wagons what years are they. Im not up on the years I don't think they will work here in California for smog reasons. But I would like to build one for the street..

Like those wagons what years are they. Im not up on the years I don't think they will work here in California for smog reasons. But I would like to build one for the street..

They were made from 1976 to 1980. Mine is a '78, but it has a '77 model grille in it.

Not very much changed on them at all during their production. A few grille changes were the biggest.

Thats sweet I'd drive that, and laugh every time someone wants to race and beat them with a wagon.

Long Roofs rule

you%20just%20got%20beat%20by%20a%20wagon%201.jpg

I'd love a wagon. I had one years ago but was forced to sell before I could really do anything with it. Your's needs a cheater plate :)

Now that my Dart is done , I am getting started on an "80 Volare wagon for the wife.
I have a '70 340 that runs well and a 727 to replace the incline that is in it now , but I am not sure how far I will go with it.
Tie the sub frames and cal tracs , the 7 1/4 " rear needs to be replaced and not much else.
I am curious about the Dart front bumper........what year ?
That really looks nice on there.

-
Back