Solid roller lifters...

-
BAM lifters ....

This is the opposite side of the lifter in relation to the oil gallery.
The small pushrod oil feed hole is only on this side.
Oil from the gallery is fed from the other side thru the big hole, then it’s an edge orifice scenario to get oil into the small hole.
My customer isn’t going to use the pushrod oiling, so the small hole being exposed at full lift isn’t a concern in that aspect.
You can see that if the small hole is being exposed, then the top of the big hole is getting close to the top of the lifter bore.
So, the test is to see if there is any significant leakage around the top of the lifter bores when the lifters are near full lift.

View attachment 1715943674
Frankly I’m thinking that 829 is what I will buy. At 609$ new is seems the most cost effective way to go. I will judt check them and springs every other year I guess…
Also there is an idea to go bigger with cam to 268/272 @ .050”, 301/307 adv, .481”/.446” lobe lift 108+4…
I’m just trying to take the most of 11:1, 4.10 rear 29” tire combo with 4500 stall 8” converter…

Hi

I am looking for solid roller lifters that are optimal performance vs price in your experience!
Cam spec is:
263/268@.050", 108+4, 675/675 lift

Springs planned for this will be 720 open and 260 seat there will be nitrous added so its on the high side.

Block is not bushed so my 1st guess was 829-16 comp, I know they are not oil pressure fed but in my view its weak spring what kills these lifters, when someone runs this kind of cam on the street, he beats on it anyway. I never used oil fed lifters ;-)
This said, I talked to Howards and they recommended their oil pressure fed 91735 race max lifters which are bit more expensive than comp, I was also looking at Crower 62233 lifters that have oversized wheel non pressure fed lifters...
There is also BAM lifter which is pressure fed and has oversized wheel pn 2016-16. Also Lunati lifter seems to be recommended by them for all solid cams they have and its pn 72421 and this is the most affordale of all, but it looks like Morel 4730 which is not recommended by Morel for the spring pressure I want.
So I narrowed it down to:
Lunati 72421 440$
Comp 829 606$
Howards 91735 677$
Crower 722$
BAM 835$
I'm also worried that pressure fed lifter will take some of the idle in gear oil pressure which is down because of HS rockers already, just between 25 and 30lbs on my mechanical gauge. What are your experiences with this?

HELP

View attachment 1715943352
Use thin shims and tighten the side clearance up to .010, if not already.
It helps. Also running a larger induction hardened shaft is optimal setup here. Dan Dvorak sells the killer rocker shafts, over a 1/4 thick, core plugs are tiny in the ends. That's what I use and I never have a bleed off issue. Imo the shafts that come with almost all needle roller rockers are wrong size and hardness is all over the place. The rocker shouldnt be wiggling the slightest bit.
It should not just fall/slide onto the shaft like a hulahoop.
Jmo

Use thin shims and tighten the side clearance up to .010, if not already.
It helps. Also running a larger induction hardened shaft is optimal setup here. Dan Dvorak sells the killer rocker shafts, over a 1/4 thick, core plugs are tiny in the ends. That's what I use and I never have a bleed off issue. Imo the shafts that come with almost all needle roller rockers are wrong size and hardness is all over the place. The rocker shouldnt be wiggling the slightest bit.
It should not just fall/slide onto the shaft like a hulahoop.
Jmo
Yes that was something that I wanted to do, thanks for a reminder. You are correct about side clearance of HS rockers, I used old Crane side shims to aid that a bit but need more to make the side movement minimal.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Comp Cams dual Conical springs?
Yes but I just spent 300 for titanium retainers last year and was looking for srings that can fit and do the job.

I just realized that there is Comp 96829-16 and 96829B-16 both oil pressure fed, the one woth B has bushing instead of needle bearing.

Yep I posted in post #23
Do you have experience with these?
BAM lifters ....

This is the opposite side of the lifter in relation to the oil gallery.
The small pushrod oil feed hole is only on this side.
Oil from the gallery is fed from the other side thru the big hole, then it’s an edge orifice scenario to get oil into the small hole.
My customer isn’t going to use the pushrod oiling, so the small hole being exposed at full lift isn’t a concern in that aspect.
You can see that if the small hole is being exposed, then the top of the big hole is getting close to the top of the lifter bore.
So, the test is to see if there is any significant leakage around the top of the lifter bores when the lifters are near full lift.

View attachment 1715943674

What is full lift in this case?
I started going deeper into the topic, and just realized that for example Crower lifter would force me to buy new pushrods, practically all other options require shorter pushrod than I had which basically means I can make my own set to fit.
Almost bought the Crowers... but realistically they are going to run me +180$ which makes them 900$ set in my situation.

Now again older style comp 829-16 seems like a cheap way out, but perhaps I should jump out of 200$ extra and get something technically superior... New 96829-16 lifter from comp seems to be good, has larger diameter .800" wheel and direct oiling, BAM 2016-16 also has it all and is 25$ more, howards has oiling but smaller diameter wheel and some negative reviews already so I'm skipping these.
My lifter has 1.49" seat height, crower is 1.34", newer comp 1.79", old comp 1.79", bam 1.62". I even have exact pushrods set for BAM lifters so it saves me some time.
Do you have access to BAM lifters?
I'm not using pushrod oiling also.

Miszny I'm running them in my setup, after having talks with Dwayne about lifters that would work for what I'm doing he suggested them. Now it's only been a 1 year I will say they been good so far ( I plan on inspecting this winter). No I didn't do side by side comprassion with any other lifters. But will say I didn't want to take out a loan just to fund them. ( I know I get what I pay for)

Do you have experience with these?

What is full lift in this case?
I started going deeper into the topic, and just realized that for example Crower lifter would force me to buy new pushrods, practically all other options require shorter pushrod than I had which basically means I can make my own set to fit.
Almost bought the Crowers... but realistically they are going to run me +180$ which makes them 900$ set in my situation.

Now again older style comp 829-16 seems like a cheap way out, but perhaps I should jump out of 200$ extra and get something technically superior... New 96829-16 lifter from comp seems to be good, has larger diameter .800" wheel and direct oiling, BAM 2016-16 also has it all and is 25$ more, howards has oiling but smaller diameter wheel and some negative reviews already so I'm skipping these.
My lifter has 1.49" seat height, crower is 1.34", newer comp 1.79", old comp 1.79", bam 1.62". I even have exact pushrods set for BAM lifters so it saves me some time.
Do you have access to BAM lifters?
I'm not using pushrod oiling also.
I would go with the BAM lifters.
I have seen some issues with Comp quality of resent, I had a set of their hyd rollers go south. Just Google "issues with Comp Cams lifters" and watch your phone blow up.
Good luck

OK so I managed to find BAM 2016-16 available at Hughes. They can be upgraded in the future to brass or steel bushing for 500$ and also pushrod oiling hole can be plugged to better control oil pressure. I will report what I get after I install them.
Now just waiting for camshaft.
Spring wise I got PAC 1225, they will be 260lbs seat and 760 lbs open.

Did any of you guys have experience with older .750 wheel BAM lifters?

Why no pushrod oiling?
It depends how the rest of the engine is built. I will try them out as they are and try to use shims between needle bearing rockers to get better oil control. With constant oiling to the heads and big main/rod bearing tolerances I don’t really know what to expect.

Might be worth reading:

What size Oil Restrictor

I’m waiting for a report from a customer who’s trying some BAM lifters in an unbushed OE block.

There are a few positions where the small feed hole for the pushrod oiling starts to get exposed when the lifter is at full lift.
He’s going to let me know how bad that situation is when he’s able to prime the oil system.

You guys discuss restrictor size to the heads in this thread.
FYI Indy has 2 sizes, street which is 0.035" and race which is 0.025".
This is confirmed by Indy.

What block are you using? Indy or stock mopar bigblock?

The big issues is what is available. I have had BAM lifters on order since April with no solid delivery date in site. They can get materials and are only working part time.

The big issues is what is available. I have had BAM lifters on order since April with no solid delivery date in site. They can get materials and are only working part time.
Hughes has one more set of 2016-16 model, this is needle bearing that can be upgraded for 500 for any bushing type in the future or right away.
I know there is big problem with materials.

needle bearing rockers
constant oiling to the heads
Well there's an issue right there. That's one of the easiest ways to fill up your top end with oil and cause oil pressure issues.
You needed to use a bushed rocker, not a needle roller. The oil is blowing right through all the little needle roller gaps in those rockers and shimming the side clearance is no real solution.

Well there's an issue right there. That's one of the easiest ways to fill up your top end with oil and cause oil pressure issues.
You needed to use a bushed rocker, not a needle roller. The oil is blowing right through all the little needle roller gaps in those rockers and shimming the side clearance is no real solution.
I use needle bearing rollers and rocker arms in my street 340 without any pressure problems.
25-30 psi hot idle in gear, 70 psi at cruz speed
Melling HV oil pump, stock pan, 10W-30
A racing application is a different story

Does the 829 lifter have the direct oiling and .800 wheel?
What are the main difference s between the 86829 lifer and BAM? The BAM lifter has a .815 wheel.
I did not see where Comp cams listed wheel size.

I use needle bearing rollers and rocker arms in my street 340 without any pressure problems.
25-30 psi hot idle in gear, 70 psi at cruz speed
Melling HV oil pump, stock pan, 10W-30
A racing application is a different story
Your running unrestricted direct mains oiling to the rocker shafts?
With needle rockers?

-
Back