Solid roller lifters...

-
Your running unrestricted direct mains oiling to the rocker shafts?
With needle rockers?
Stock LA 340 block no oiling mods made.
It's been running 5 years now on the street > 10,000 miles sees 6500 rpm fairly often. What can I say

Stock LA 340 block no oiling mods made.
It's been running 5 years now on the street > 10,000 miles sees 6500 rpm fairly often. What can I say
The OP's block has full time oiling to the rockers..
So your post was absolutely pointless, and confusing because your block does not..
What can you say? Probably nothing would have been the right thing to say in this instance, considering his rocker oiling system is completely different to yours...
Next time you quote and comment on one of my posts, at least take the time to understand what's actually being discussed..

Last edited:
The OP's block has full time oiling to the rockers..
So your post was absolutely pointless, and confusing because your block does not..
What can you say? Probably nothing would have been the right thing to say in this instance, considering his rocker oiling system is completely different to yours...
Next time you quote and comment on one of my posts, at least take the time to understand what's actually being discussed..
Well excuse me I was just trying to throw out some real world experience the OP has the choice to apply it or not, certainly not you.
You can put money on me never posting over you again as you have earned a spot on the ignore list.
I apologize the OP and any othe members I may offended
I'm out
Bye

So now your crying because someone pointed out you made a **** up with your misinformation ?
Grow up for gods sake..
As Dwayne says, this forum makes it harder than it has to be.:BangHead:

Last edited:
So now your crying because someone pointed out you made a **** up with your misinformation ?
Grow up for gods sake..
As Dwayne says, this forum makes it harder than it has to be.:BangHead:
Well I did not hit the ignore in time
I provided no "misinformation" *** wipe. What would I gain? I worked professionally in the engine industry for over 3 decades, retired from a little engine manufacturer you may have heard of Cummins, I never have nor will I ever provide "misinformation"
Maybe you will understand this - Chuck off Farlie
Again I apologize to the OP.

You quoted my post about needle bearing rockers, causing oil pressure problems with direct oiling and said this:
I use needle bearing rollers and rocker arms in my street 340 without any pressure problems.
This statement indicates to the OP that his setup should work fine, because yours does..
Problem is, your not using the same oiling system to the rockers..
It's misinformation..
Don't get upset with me because I called you out.

Well there's an issue right there. That's one of the easiest ways to fill up your top end with oil and cause oil pressure issues.
You needed to use a bushed rocker, not a needle roller. The oil is blowing right through all the little needle roller gaps in those rockers and shimming the side clearance is no real solution.

We will see, I will try to control oil better with Harland Sharp rockers using thin side shims. This is not new idea. So far I was using .060” restrictor to each side, where Indy (head manufacturer) suggests .035” so I have lots of room for changes. With the restrictor I had, I saw a ton of oil up with engine idling.
I do not plan to run different rockers at this point. New cam will be decent lift 700-720 with 720-740lbs on the nose so I need reliable set.
When I’m at 2000 rpm pressure is at 65+ lbs and 75 at 7000.

Well I did not hit the ignore in time
I provided no "misinformation" *** wipe. What would I gain? I worked professionally in the engine industry for over 3 decades, retired from a little engine manufacturer you may have heard of Cummins, I never have nor will I ever provide "misinformation"
Maybe you will understand this - Chuck off Farlie
Again I apologize to the OP.

don’t sweat it 512…. If you spent any time in News & Politics you would know Baker can be an ***….

don’t sweat it 512…. If you spent any time in News & Politics you would know Baker can be an ***….
Oh.. boo hoo.. You just chimed in to post that off topic blurb?
I point out an issue with the guy's post, and now I'm an ***.:rolleyes: I'd rather give out correct information, than be a clueless suckhole.

Last edited:
We will see, I will try to control oil better with Harland Sharp rockers using thin side shims. This is not new idea. So far I was using .060” restrictor to each side, where Indy (head manufacturer) suggests .035” so I have lots of room for changes. With the restrictor I had, I saw a ton of oil up with engine idling.
I do not plan to run different rockers at this point. New cam will be decent lift 700-720 with 720-740lbs on the nose so I need reliable set.
When I’m at 2000 rpm pressure is at 65+ lbs and 75 at 7000.
Direct oiling is usually used when your using a non needle rocker, especially if its a steel on steel rocker.
If your using a needle roller rocker, the timed oiling is fine, unless the block had previously been modified, then it has to be sorted out, with restrictors.
I've seen a few times where people have modified the oiling system, then used a needle rocker, no restrictor, without realizing the issues it can cause.
The last one I was called in to sort out at a shop would pump most of the oil out of the sump if you held it at 3000 Rpm for about 40 seconds..
New build, Indy block, no restrictions ... LOL

Last edited:
Figured the guy needed a heads up….. lol
Oh.. boo hoo.. You just chimed in to post that off topic blurb?
I point out an issue with the guy's post, and now I'm an ***.:rolleyes: I'd rather give out correct information, than be a clueless suckhole.

Some photos of BAM next to my old Lunati lifters.

39C11C71-B0EF-4876-9180-163BA4AAD97D.jpeg

F7EEBBF3-9E73-4202-BB65-12B01A566626.jpeg

925281C6-6E5B-4135-BDE0-AF003EF791CD.jpeg

Is there a thru-hole that connects the machined “flats” to the ID of the lifter body?

Can you see where the EDM holes for the bearings are?

Which bearing option did you go with?

Are those the std bodies, or the +.100” pushrod seat version?

Is there a thru-hole that connects the machined “flats” to the ID of the lifter body?

Can you see where the EDM holes for the bearings are?

Which bearing option did you go with?

Are those the std bodies, or the +.100” pushrod seat version?

These are needle bearing standard height.
Everything else is 8+ weeks waiting. They can be upgraded to steel bushing later so my plan is to run them for 2-3 seasons and then upgrade during winter.

D4E0B6B6-8D96-41A3-97F3-27ED570748F0.jpeg

78E01427-7D5C-448A-A7E8-B09AC5D1BB42.jpeg

So, the small hole above the axle is the only hole going to the axle?

Or is there another smaller hole going from the bottom of the recess down to the axle?

Kinda like:

CFCB99F7-D9ED-435D-B4AC-05A2DC6318EE.jpeg

Looking at a cutaway drawing, it appears those holes above the axle are all there is.

If you’re curious......... you could see if those holes are out below the bottom of the lifter bores when they’re on(or near) the base circle of the cam.

F4833E0A-2869-4A32-8644-30269670E4FC.png

If it is a needle roller lifter, it doesn't need pressure fed oil to the rollers. Marketing hype. If it uses a bush, it does need a pressurised supply. [ think: rod or m/brg ]

Use thin shims and tighten the side clearance up to .010, if not already.
It helps. Also running a larger induction hardened shaft is optimal setup here. Dan Dvorak sells the killer rocker shafts, over a 1/4 thick, core plugs are tiny in the ends. That's what I use and I never have a bleed off issue. Imo the shafts that come with almost all needle roller rockers are wrong size and hardness is all over the place. The rocker shouldnt be wiggling the slightest bit.
It should not just fall/slide onto the shaft like a hulahoop.
Jmo
Dvorak is the Man, Dude! I've read some cool stuff about him. He's actually related to the Composer. Guy would bounce the hood in high gear at the end of the track. The bowtie guys would *****, kick in for a teardown, and the official actually said it looked "rather shabby" that's some Mopar *** kicking!

All the needle bearing type solid rollers ive seen and had have a oil feed hole on the galley feed side of the band. Most use that generic lifter body.
'Needle bearings aside' oils got to get to the roller aka wheel...and it helps to have a pressurized stream of oil pissing down onto it instead of just raining from the sides of the body or splash/ thrown from crank.

If it is a needle roller lifter, it doesn't need pressure fed oil to the rollers. Marketing hype. If it uses a bush, it does need a pressurised supply. [ think: rod or m/brg ]
Actually bodies of all versions are the same according to manufacturer. The only difference is needle bearing or brass bushing or steel bushing.
My initial plan was to buy these (from Hughes) and have them upgraded to steel bushing. Only after talking to Bred Miller I decided to use them for some time and then upgrade.
He actually felt better about me using these bigger wheel needle bearing lifters vs brand new older design lifters made by him with brass bushing and smaller diameter wheel.

Looking at a cutaway drawing, it appears those holes above the axle are all there is.

If you’re curious......... you could see if those holes are out below the bottom of the lifter bores when they’re on(or near) the base circle of the cam.

View attachment 1715953331
I will check, I’m slowly swapping springs and getting ready for new cam from Jim Dowell (racer brown) Should have it in 2-3 weeks.

Yeah, why bother building in a more reliable way of delivering oil to the needles..:rolleyes:

View attachment 1715953331

Yes they are exposed, I checked with my old cam. This oiling design allows oil pressure to go to the bearing only when lifter is climbing up the lobe. Looks like this is a good way to limit oil pressure drop.
Photo is not focused in the right place, but it’s the best one I could get with my phone in there.

79ADA888-8354-4ADC-A849-562C99FDE253.jpeg

Obviously they’re working like that since there are very few negative comments about BAM lifters........but I gotta say........ I prefer the edm hole going from the band down to the axle.

The Isky Red Zones also have the hole above the axle like those BAM’s do, with a hole from the band as an option/upgrade.

Last edited:
One more question.........
At full lift, does the pushrod oiling hole start to show above the lifter bore, and are those relief cuts on the sides of the body showing at all??

-
Back