(solved) How do I turn this thing off?

-

cudamark

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to turn off the "maintainance required" light on a '91 Dodge PU? 360 4 speed if that makes any difference.
Thanks, Mark
Figured it out.....Thanks!

Hey Mark, If you don't get an answer here try the pick up truck forum (in the Our network section above) tmm

Should just be able to disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

I have also heard that an OBD I scanner can do it.

You need a breakout box or a scanner in order to turn it off, disconnecting the battery will not work, unfortunatly.

Duct tape over the offending section of the dash works......I think that is an obd 1 computer, a cheap scanner from an auto parts store will work......but if the problem is not resolved it will pop right back on........

Technically it's trying to tell you something is going on with your vehicle so I don't think it would hurt to have it scanned to get the trouble code. Then after you find the code you can have it removed. However the trouble light will more than likely come back on if the problem isnt addressed.

According to the manual, the light just comes on after so many miles to get you to have the smog system checked. It says in the manual that it's not a light warning you of a failure....just a prompt to get service done. Sounds like a built in money maker for the dealer to me! The truck only has 60K on it so I doubt it needs anything serious but I'd like to get that light out before it gets it's smog check. Even though it's not really a "check engine" light, some of these smog shop knuckleheads might think it is and not pass the thing.

Light comes on approx. everty 60,000 miles, there is no problem with the system, but a smog shop will not perform a smog check until the light is turned off

check a manual,it should have it in there.My 08 caravan has a change oil light that requires me to turn the key on then hit the gas pedal to the floor 3 times to clear it.It's probably something like that.Worst case just take it to autozone have them read it for free then have them clear it for you.

Mopar Madman is correct. It is a maintenance information light. It comes on @ 60, 120 etc. The only way to shut it off is with a scan tool to interface the ECM. This is to be done after you have all the emission components checked out to make sure they are working properly. Yes it is a money maker for the dealership. Sucks but there is no way around it that I am aware of.
~Michael

Mopar Madman & Dartman are right. Just a "reminder" to have the emissions systems checked.
I bought a 90 brand new, and the light came on at exactly 60,ooo miles. According to the Chilton's Manual, there was supposed to be a "reset button" next to the glove box that would turn the light off, but it wasn't there. The Chilton book covered from 89-91, so maybe 89 has that reset button. I dunno. Anyway, I took it to my brother-in-law who ran a Firestone store at the time and he hooked the scan tool up and shut the light off. After 120,ooo miles it came back on, so I pulled the face of the dash off, and took the bulb out. Done deal.

On a side note, a scanner is not needed to retrieve the trouble codes from these trucks. Simply cycle the ignition key from "off" to "on" 3 times, leaving it in the "on" position. The CHECK ENGINE light will flash any stored codes. Just count the flashes and write the numbers down. The trouble codes are listed in the Chilton Manual. Code "55" means end of codes.

Hope this helps!!

George

Thanks everyone. One of my friends has a OBD 1 diagnostic machine that was able to turn the light out. It's actually on a timer of some sort and not triggered by any particular mileage but it usually happens "around" 60K according to what I've read. I've had other vehlcles that had a reset button on the speedo cluster but I just never had to reset one on a Dodge PU this year. It's pretty simple if you know how to find it going through the scanners menu! It doesn't reset by clearing trouble codes. It's on a separate menu.

I have to admit that I have never heard of a light coming on at 60k miles. That's kind of lame.

In the 80s behind the glove box there a little white button you held for about 5 seconds and it would reset. Its designed for polution.

-
Back