solvent based Paint / water based paint

-

75BlueDuster

Reaction score
Hi all I have a paint question reguarding a re-paint, my car has been painted in a solvent base & clear coat what preparation is required for a repaint with the newer water based paints ????

Thanks,

Mike

Hmmm?Not sure if you can paint over with the water-base.Maybe the car needs to be stripped?Someone with more paint knowledge will chime in.:D:hello2:

well unless you have the special equipment in the booth dont even bother... you have to have special air driers and some other weird stuff...

just use a normal paint system and pay alot less...

well unless you have the special equipment in the booth dont even bother... you have to have special air driers and some other weird stuff...

just use a normal paint system and pay alot less...
The "normal paint system"is no longer leagal in Canada.All the paint shops have had to switch over to water-base paints as of January 2011.FYI.

The "normal paint system"is no longer leagal in Canada.All the paint shops have had to switch over to water-base paints as of January 2011.FYI.

same with CA except in 09...

well i would really wan to strip the car down to bare metal and start from scratch...

Yes. I believe there is some lee way,something about acrylic laquer still being available. Heard it down at the local jobber store.

You can get duplicolor off the shelf at Canadian tire and it's acryilic laquer as well,so there may be some truth to it.

Oh I should mention that it's likely you can paint over your old surface if you lay down sealer first. But you really shouldnt have more than 2 paint jobs on the car,so if it already had new paint over the old dont do it!

only the base is water based. oem have been using for many yrs .

I heard that large commercial(fleet) customers are able to still carry/possess it due to large paint costs for the fleet.

I run a high end,high volume body shop for a living .Waterbourne paint has been around a long time,been used in Europe last 10-20 years. Anyway the base (color) is basically the water part,and the clear coat is a low voc paint,still has solvent,but a lesser amount to meet regulations.
Painting with waterborne is easy, yes you need a slightly different setup,air driers (waterbourne dries by air flow, by air blowing over whatever it is that you've painted).

You can paint over pretty much anything with waterborne,the surface/car etc is prepped exactly the same way you would with any other paint etc.pretty straight forward ,same technique to spraying etc, just mixed diffently, any competent painter can do it no problem, I have 4 full time painters and they all love it,wouldn't go back ,hope this helps........

Agree with onetorun. You gotta remember, whether it's water or solvent, either is just a carrier. Both have to evaporate. Water borne is no less durable. The clear that goes over the top is not water bourne and that's what seals everything up and provides protection.

Thanks guys for your help I wanted to get some input before I send it out to be painted have had a couple of body shops say it should be stripped and just as many say it does not need to be stripped. I should mention that this will be its second paint job it was restored in 2005, but as thing go in life it was damaged in a garage fire last year and the paint did not fair very well. Long storey short insurance tried the cheap way out and cut & buffed and blew in some patches car does not look right now they are allowing a full repaint.

Thanks
Mike
75 Duster 11:203 @ 118.55/ 1/4mile
67 Barracuda FastBack 4spd
Mike

They still sell low VOC paints ( urethane & basecoats) . The waterborne is a little more work prep wise we finish block with 1000 grit, water dosen't have the same fill properties as solvent.and for blow in's the water dosen't blend as well as solvent.
Water for a complete is fine as said in the other replies it;s cleared with low VOC clear coat.This goat was painted at our shop with waterborne& highend low VOC clear.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 143
-
Back