some advice for a duster suspension?

-

dusterboyy440

Reaction score
alright so im building a 70 duster, with a built 440. It has a 727 reverse pattern manual valve body. In the back i have a 8 3/4 with 456 posi. A 10 point cage is going to be installed also. :scratch: So the other day ago a guy told me that if im goin to do all this work that i should install a 4 link? He said if im going to be running high 10's that the leaf springs will not handle this? is this true?

a 4 link may be nice but its not needed. There are plenty of cars running10 and faster on leafs.

I agree with Adam. The four link is a Chebby thing. I once had a 68 Dart that ran 9.37s in the quarter with stock leaf spring suspension. Ma Mopar got it right with the Super Stock springs. :wav:

I wouldnt say there a Chevy thing. The 4 link is far superior to a leaf spring suspension in term of ajustability its just not needed.

Look at a SS/AH Hemi car, they ran leafs for year but have all switched to 4-link.

briankaplan said:
Use the S/S springs in the rear with a pinion snubber.
You shouldn't have any problems.

Ya, I'd agree also, I know a few guys that are running low 11's-high 10's with the SS springs and snubber (don't forget the subframe connectors) and they still launch like a cut cat. The B Bodies like I used to run usually need traction bars to keep the leafs from winding up but that's a different story. :burnout:

Go With Caltracs -easy To Install They Work Great And You Can Use The Mono Leaf Springs Which Are Much Lighter And Very Strong

73dart360 said:
Go With Caltracs -easy To Install They Work Great And You Can Use The Mono Leaf Springs Which Are Much Lighter And Very Strong

Converting to a 4 link can be very expensive vs about $750 for Calverts setup. Calvert Racings mono springs and caltracs have put some cars into the 8's.

Cant argue with your buddy, and not to suggest this will work with your car, but my buddy with a 68 Dart 416 tranny brake car runs 10.9's. He runs stock springs, hooks real well. Dont know how he does it, maybe he could squeeze some more time out of it with SS springs, Calverts, etc, but it works fine, no apparent traction problems. I' d save the money until you determine that you have a problem. 4 link would be the last choice considering the $ and all the time spent finding the perfect setup.

We run calverts w mono springs 1.48 60 6.88.1/8 10.90 1/4, easy to bolt in .They work really well , and you have a good ride, ss springa might give you some problems if you make a lot of torque.

i have a duster with a 340 and no cage running 11.10's in full wieght form. Iwent to the caltrac setup, shocks, bars, springs and all. it works killer. once you get it dialed in and tuned its right. takes a little while to set up perfect but when its done, its right and gives a good highway ride to. :thumbup:

There are approx 160 different combinations in the 4 link setup It is not a suspension for the casual racer. Leafs will work into the 10's very well but if you decide to go to a different style suspension use a ladder bar setup it is much easier to tune and is very reasonable in the cost. You can still use ladders with your leafs if you use bird cages.

Chuck

7172 duster said:
We run calverts w mono springs 1.48 60 6.88.1/8 10.90 1/4, easy to bolt in .They work really well , and you have a good ride, ss springa might give you some problems if you make a lot of torque.

I'm just curious, I'm currently using SS springs and the rpm I launch at puts me at a little over 400 foot pounds of torque and within 800 more rpm when I'm at stall speed of the converter I'm around 450 foot pounds. Is this why I'm having problems with the ss springs and wheel spin. In the 1/8 mile it was getting a little sideways on every shift change (hopefully that problem was cured by the frame connectors).

When you make a lot of torque ss springs tend to load then unload the suspention . Dont mix ss and caltrac , they work against each other .We make 500 tq 500 hp.

caltrac mono really work

NMC_ru_Pickerell_jpg.jpg

-
Back