Someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks

-
Far as I know Chevy changed whatever year from 2.30" to 2.45" mains not that a car 327 came with 2.30" and a truck 327 came with 2.45".
'68, why would they have made bigger mains, or 4-bolt mains for that matter?

there is only emissions rules for cars that are 1976 and newer. anything before that, they could hardly give a crap about. and even for the stuff that has to face the smog test gauntlet, if your stuff runs clean (and it should) it's a non issue.
I've been hearing a lot about CARB's suggestion that the state should allow local jurisdictions to create zero-emissions zones. CARB also is reportedly gathering information about classic cars and how their owners use them. Maybe there is nothing to worry about, maybe there is.

there is only emissions rules for cars that are 1976 and newer. anything before that, they could hardly give a crap about. and even for the stuff that has to face the smog test gauntlet, if your stuff runs clean (and it should) it's a non issue.

Just tripped over this on the Holley website. 1965/67 and older??

1715269041853.png

I am sure it is just Holley covering their ***, but....

I've owned only one 340, a 70 Challenger RT. Regret selling it to this day.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I’m not sure how old you are but in my lifetime the Chrysler guys were and are the worst at spending money.

isn't that the truth. i've seen it time and time agin over the years.. they all want,want,want right up until what they wanted comes out and they see the price.. most then back out and claim its too expensive.. abody guys are usuallt the worst of the mopar guys. only ones worse that i've come across are the jeep cherokee guys.. holy cow they are bad..lol

At this point, if I buy any castings for my Mopar, they're going to be Aluminum.

I've been hearing a lot about CARB's suggestion that the state should allow local jurisdictions to create zero-emissions zones. CARB also is reportedly gathering information about classic cars and how their owners use them. Maybe there is nothing to worry about, maybe there is.
this is mostly a subject that should be the topic of another thread-- because of the political nature of such issues; but i will say that CARB is not gathering intel on classics and their use. it's been discussed here on this board and disproved.

to think that CARB is running some type of surveillance state on classics is edging toward tinfoil territory. we make up *maybe* 1% of the cars on the road in california. they care wayyyy more about big trucks and diesel than anything else.

this is mostly a subject that should be the topic of another thread-- because of the political nature of such issues; but i will say that CARB is not gathering intel on classics and their use. it's been discussed here on this board and disproved.

to think that CARB is running some type of surveillance state on classics is edging toward tinfoil territory. we make up *maybe* 1% of the cars on the road in california. they care wayyyy more about big trucks and diesel than anything else.
when what they should be caring about is that lizard people have duplicated our leaders and are taking over!!! (just wanna get into the conspiracy mindset)

Just tripped over this on the Holley website. 1965/67 and older??

View attachment 1716247651

I am sure it is just Holley covering their ***, but....
this is a hold over from the old CARB laws that began in the 90's when the first round of "smog check" included vehicles from 1968 (i got failed in 1996 for not having a breather that connected to the aircleaner).

if you look thru the catalog (or edelbrock's) you'll see "50 state legal" products for newer cars that are subject to emissions testing.

basically to sum that up: say i have a 77 cordoba. legally i can't drop on a offy 360 and afb because they aren't CARB approved components. even though they are fine and run the same and do the same stuff-- they didn't apply for testing ($$) and pay the state ($$) to get the certifications. however, edelbrock and holley did jump thru the hoops and i can pop on a performer and whatever holley that has the diamond number that is compliant (1 i think?), and if the smog guy squawks about it (they ususally don't) then i show him my paperwork that says it's fine and dandy and we just go on about our merry little day eating avocado toast and drinking michelob ultras.

but yeah, basically, it's a bunch of CYA

when what they should be caring about is that lizard people have duplicated our leaders and are taking over!!! (just wanna get into the conspiracy mindset)
how do you know i'm not a lizard person disguised as three raccoons in a trench coat sent from the underworld to infiltrate this board and eventually the hobby by disseminating information leading to the downfall of the mighty V8 and four gear manual transmission?

how do you know i'm not a lizard person disguised as three raccoons in a trench coat sent from the underworld to infiltrate this board and eventually the hobby by disseminating information leading to the downfall of the mighty V8 and four gear manual transmission?

My Mighty Faraday Foil Fez (The FFF) Auto blocks any communication from lizard people! You cannot fool me! Still lets pontiac owners in though :( The are weirder than lizards...

To answer that question, it's done by the mfrs., Chevy C010 blocks are large main 4" bore blocks. For everything from the 302" Z engine to HD blocks in trucks, so yeah, they do.......
not all of those 010 blocks are 4 bolt mains. they're more likely to be but not for certain.

We both know that a car that has been modified for performance, doesn't have much of a chance passing a tail pipe test
actually a car modified for performance that is set up correctly can be very 'clean' running as most performance motors are more efficient burning a larger percentage of the fuel they ingest. so i don't know who both of you are but you're wrong.

340s are surrounded by a lot of hype.. sure, there an awesome engine in there own right.. but you can build a 360 LA the same way with alot less cost and make more power.
We all know that around these parts. Thing is a restomod mopar for sale with a 340 under the hood would bring more interest and money than the same car with a similarly built 360.

that's a super bummer. i've been quite pleased with anything i've ever bought that you designed and i'd love if there was more trick small block stuff.

but i understand completely. make a $60 alternator kit and everybody bitches about about it and then wind up paying $40 for some shitty repop that you have dick around with to fit. meanwhile they coulda just spent the extra jackson for the trick piece of kit that actually works and is made well.

There is truth to that example.

Then there is the other side of the coin where it cost 750 bucks for a set of brackets to convert a big block to a serpentine belt.

There is a mopar tax and that has in part made mopar owners fashion there own stuff sometimes or just not buy period..

actually a car modified for performance that is set up correctly can be very 'clean' running as most performance motors are more efficient burning a larger percentage of the fuel they ingest. so i don't know who both of you are but you're wrong.
It has happened but it's rare.

'they' must've told dan about that too :rofl:
Here in Missouri they used to have a hose that went into the tailpipe while the engine was running, this measured all of the emissions going out of the exhaust. It was given the nick name tailpipe sniffer

-
Back