Someone please school me on plugging accumulator port, 727

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
Someone please school me on plugging the accumulator port. I have the case torn down bare and was told I should plug the port now instead of just removing the spring. Which port?

It's WAY easier to just block the accumulator from moving, and it does the same thing.

Use rubber D rings on the accumulator instead of the supplied teflon rings and block it from moving.
This is the commonly accepted way of doing it.

What else were you told to do apart from "blocking" the port?

To put the acc piston in the trash,
Add an A&A super sprag, full roller planetary and their unbreakable front drum,
Open up the cooler holes for 3/8 lines,
Add hardened pump gears,
Delete the governor,
Add low band apply manual valve body.

Sounds like you need to talk a little more with A&A.

To put the acc piston in the trash,
Add an A&A super sprag, full roller planetary and their unbreakable front drum,
Open up the cooler holes for 3/8 lines,
Add hardened pump gears,
Delete the governor,
Add low band apply manual valve body.

What in the world kinda monster are you building that needs all that?

Dont trash that piston man! just block its movement its alot easyer & cheaper to put in a 3 inch long 3/8 inch bar stock in then put back in the acc with the seal rings still on it back in & yer done. That will make very firm shifts aswell, may even have 2-3 bind depending what line psi is set @. just my exp. with em. X2 on the rubber D-rings there awsome!

The Mp shift improved kit has that bar. Does it go in first and the. The piston or piston first and then the bar?

You put it into the case with the piston out, then put the piston back in the case if the tranny is layen on the bench. If in the car place rod into the small side of the piston then put piston back ino the trans install v/b & go...

You're wasting your money on a 727.

wtf is a d ring?any trans skoolin is always welcome....especially cheap ideas.

wtf is a d ring?any trans skoolin is always welcome....especially cheap ideas.

D rings are a type of ring comonly used to get a zero leakby seal on accumulators.
They are literally shaped like D and are solid with no gap so they seal better than teflon type that overlap on the ends or interlocking rings.

If you use D rings and block the accumulator, that's it. (zero leakby)
Same as if you went to all the trouble to block off all the ports in the case.

i've never heard of em.i just pulled a camper trans apart and it had a small long spring on the case side of the accumulator piston....i just put it back that way,figured it was a part of a shift kit.

thanks for the info!

i've never heard of em.i just pulled a camper trans apart and it had a small long spring on the case side of the accumulater piston....i just put it back that way,figured it was a part of a shift kit.

thanks for the info!

Huh, never seen that before.

Huh, never seen that before.

yeah,me either.it had a long spring pushing the accumulator down towards the valve body.and the spring between the vb and ac.piston wasn't there.

yeah,me either.it had a long spring pushing the accumulator down towards the valve body.and the spring between the vb and ac.piston wasn't there.

That sounds like basically making the piston sit at the other end of the bore like a half assed way of blocking it.

What is wrong with using a 727 trans?
He was joking

You put it into the case with the piston out, then put the piston back in the case if the tranny is layen on the bench. If in the car place rod into the small side of the piston then put piston back ino the trans install v/b & go...

Thank you muchly!

..................Many heavy duty 727s had that spring in the case from factory, 440 -6 and hemi's also,there valve bodies had different calibrations than the granny trannys.....a 2 speed power glide will be faster.......kim......

-
Back