Something Different: What COVID-19 Changes Do You Hope Stay Around?

-
To me, the biggest two things would be people washing their hands frequently and following better hygiene rules.
(This goes especially for kids.)
And, people not going out in public or showing up for work if they are sick.
I am on the fence with this.

1985.jpg

The sharing of germs built strong immune systems, right?

i am thankfull i was able to send my kids to private school

they had about a month of online schooling before summer break but havent missed a day since
in person, with a qualified teacher
and at a school where "schooling" is not the same as "staring at a screen"

I hope you are getting your work done from home. My wife's accounting department at the city has a few that are working from home. They are getting about half their work done with a lot of mistakes. Getting paid for full time of course and full ride benefits. I think the longer there is work from home the worse it will get. Nad because of the dynamic of working from home many businesses will financially fail and the economy will collapse further than it already has. We need to get on the other side of this and get back to work.

My work is actually getting more than the time they pay me for.
I work for a small business that is a division of a larger corporation. We sell training and educational resource materials for firefighters and EMS personnel. I work in inside sales covering fire departments on the west coast, the northern half of the country and all international business. Another individual handles the remaining states, and a 3rd individual handles all of our website business (except from the fire departments in my territory).
When we first started working from home, all of the incoming phone calls went to a recorded line. Concerned we may be missing out on business by having to rely on someone actually listening to the recorded calls and getting back to the customer, I contacted our corporate IT department and requested all incoming telephone calls be forwarded to my personal cell phone so the customer gets a live voice rather than a recording.
This has created immense goodwill with our customers.
The 'downside' has been receiving calls as early as 5:00AM (8:00AM on the east coast), as late as 10:30PM (customers thinking they're going to leave a message), and phone calls on the weekends.
I took an early retirement about 7 years ago, but didn't like sitting at home. So I found something that I wanted to do - without the management responsibilities I previously had. I enjoy what I do.

My work is actually getting more than the time they pay me for.
I work for a small business that is a division of a larger corporation. We sell training and educational resource materials for firefighters and EMS personnel. I work in inside sales covering fire departments on the west coast, the northern half of the country and all international business. Another individual handles the remaining states, and a 3rd individual handles all of our website business (except from the fire departments in my territory).
When we first started working from home, all of the incoming phone calls went to a recorded line. Concerned we may be missing out on business by having to rely on someone actually listening to the recorded calls and getting back to the customer, I contacted our corporate IT department and requested all incoming telephone calls be forwarded to my personal cell phone so the customer gets a live voice rather than a recording.
This has created immense goodwill with our customers.
The 'downside' has been receiving calls as early as 5:00AM (8:00AM on the east coast), as late as 10:30PM (customers thinking they're going to leave a message), and phone calls on the weekends.
I took an early retirement about 7 years ago, but didn't like sitting at home. So I found something that I wanted to do - without the management responsibilities I previously had. I enjoy what I do.

We just produced a couple of Product catalogs for Fire and rescue over the weekend..... Nice stuff in those books for sure.....

JW

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious. This pandemic presented a PRIME opportunity to cash in on the stock market. My only regret is that I didn't dump more of my savings in stocks back in Mar/Apr.

The OP asked what you'd want to stay around. Im up 23 and 18% on savings and 401K since 1/1/20 and that's ok, but my strategy kinda requires peaks and valleys...

Last edited:
a few short months ago, they called the law if you went into a bank with a mask on. Now they call the law if you don't

Ain't that the truth! I was standing in the vestibule of my Credit Union waiting for the ATM when a guy walked through into the branch wearing a "Jason" goalie mask. Nobody even gave him a second look. I laughed my *** off and gave him 2 thumbs up.

With the Covid hoax I started paying online for my Dominos orders, so I don't have to spend any time out on the front porch using his little payment machine. Should have started doing that ages ago.

I hope people keep the masks on, then I know who the sheeple are and I can avoid them idiots forever.

-
Back