Something Different: What COVID-19 Changes Do You Hope Stay Around?

-
I was home for 5 months with full pay and benefit. I loved it. It was a practice retirement.
Ill be retiring at the end of January.
I like the space that people now tend to give each other

I was home for 5 months with full pay and benefit. I loved it. It was a practice retirement.
Ill be retiring at the end of January.
I like the space that people now tend to give each other
I love the space also.......Congrats on your future retirement, hope it's COVID free!!!

I agree on better hygiene and sick people not spreading at the work place and there being potential repercussions.

Every year, without fail, someone (last three years the same F'n person) comes to work sick as a dog and gets me sick.

Stay the F home. (Can you tell I'm passionate about this?)

Prior to covid, there were two people with red noses, sneezing and coughing at work.

Both of them said "It's OK, I'm on all kinds of medication".

NO it's NOT OK, IDIOT. You're still potentially contagious. Just because you feel better, don't come in here and infect everyone else.

Last edited:
...and I run into a LOT more folks I know at the liquor store!

...and I run into a LOT more folks I know at the liquor store!
Here's my medicine cabinet.

View attachment 1715648959

medicine cabinet.jpg

I plan on continuing to work from home until I retire in about a year and a half. I can get as much or more work done, as I work out in the field doing inspections on work that contractors do for the power company I work at. I was kind of a germaphobe before all this started, and HATED going into the office and being around stupid *** people who come to work sick....sounding like they're coughing up pieces of lung! If I need to print maps and stuff for a job, I go to the office at night when everyone is gone....and enjoy the peace and quiet. Like someone above mentioned....I call it practicing for retirement! :D

I’ve never worked from home. Not an office junky, so that won’t work. Kids belong in school, as mine does. We are having a real difficult time with this online zoom bullshit. Can’t say there is anything good that has come out of this.

I do not miss my commute either but the best thing has been the elimination of air travel for work meetings this year. I averaged half a dozen trips a year. They got me to Charleston back in February but that's been it. We've leaned on the technology better and since the company enjoyed an enormous cost savings, It is here to stay I bet.

Hopefully employers will take a second look at their sick time policies and procedures.

If I have a cold, I want to stay home and not come infect others. it may be 3-5 working days (or maybe more) before I return.
Many places require a doctor's note to return to work.
Why?
Why should I, A- need to go to the doctor for a common cold? and B- schedule and pay for a doctor's office call to tell me I had a cold.
While I'm on it- WTF does anyone go to the doctor with a cold?

I had a regularly scheduled Dr appt in June.
On my way out, at the scheduling desk for my next appt, there was one person ahead of me.
This person was wearing medical scrubs and had an ID card from the same facility.
As I approached, I heard him say "I need an appointment, I have over 50 patients to see tomorrow".
The scheduler said "I'm trying to work you in".
Scrubs guy then said "I really just need some meds for this cough, so I can breathe".

At that point, I backed WAY off and made sure not to touch anything.
What happened next shocked me-

The scheduler, then said "Shhh, don't say anything about coughing or not being able to breathe, or you'll get a mandatory test or 14 days at home".

WTF???

#1, this guy is going to treat symptoms, and then come to work and interact with 50 other people (possibly intimately)?
#2, this guy is a medical professional, and he thinks it's OK to do this?
#3, the scheduler is coaching people on how to avoid getting tested and/or quarantined?

Even if not a pandemic situation, I don't want my doctor (or any doctor) coming to work and interacting with people that may already have other health issues.....while they're sick.

Working from home has been great. I've been told it'll go until at least June 30th, but my guess is we'll be working remotely at a large extent indefinitely since productivity is greater than when we were in the office. Only shitty part is is not being able to get out in the field like we used to.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious. This pandemic presented a PRIME opportunity to cash in on the stock market. My only regret is that I didn't dump more of my savings in stocks back in Mar/Apr.

Unfortunately I am the guy that makes sure others can work from home.

I am on the "essential workers" list twice, and on the "high risk" list.

-
Back