Something I learned today, Need advice.

-
There is no inner wheel bearing in a 7 1/4 rear end unless you want to call the carrier bearings an axle bearing but it really isn't. You'd have to pull the rear end apart to change those. When you pull the axles, grab the axle bearing with one hand and rotate the axle with the other. If you feel any kind of hitch at all or hear any noise, the bearing needs to be replaced.

I sure will cudamark :happy10::rock:
I have the drum on backwards and have been slowly moving it out with a hammer, I called Creed and told him his big sliding hammer is not in his box.
enough for to day, I did the run test with out the drums on and the driverside did not move, I could barely move it by hand, I went to the passenger side and stopped the axle with my foot and put a long pry bar on it so it would not turn, The drivers side was squeaking and I could hear it smooth out then start squeaking again :happy10:
Enough of this for today :pale:, laying on the ground swinging a framing hammer and moved it out about an 1/8 inch #-o
Time to get a axle puler our a sliding hammer before I hurt myself or something ells :-D

Some one take a close look at my brakes, looks like the drivers side is on wrong, or is the passengers side wrong, I can look that up :read2:
thanks to abodyjoe :cheers:
What side is correct, small shoe in the back or front ?

Attachments

• 7-14-axle.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 112
The shoe with less friction material on it should be in the front.

Mike I was looking at your pics & I think I saw something, but not sure. It looks like the lining on the front shoe on the passenger side of your car might be getting thin on the inside edge. I had this problem years ago when I was in auto shop & I showed it to my instructor & he had no idea what would cause it. I finally figured out that it was because the springs that hold the shoes in place against the backing plates were weak & letting the shoes flop away from the plate. This might be happening on your car. I'd recommend replacing them with the later "nail & washer" type setup. It's a better design.
Thank you 64 Cuda, I will take a closer look at that :happy10:
It may take me a week but I am going to get the rear end fixed up and all the shoes on and install them correctly :-D I just happen to have a new set here that came from pettybludart72 he sent me all the way from Canada he gifted me with!! along with drums from his 66 dart build :cheers: Thank you again for the in site :happy10::happy10:

The shoe with less friction material on it should be in the front.
You are correct Mark :happy10: I looked at my down loaded 66 manual that abodyjoe set me up with :happy10:
I looked at the brakes last year and cleaned and packed with new grease and all the brake shoes looked good, but looks like I over looked the shoes being installed wrong :-D

Yall rock :cheers: This has been a great day, even if I did not get my axle pulled out, Creed is bringing me a big slide hammer after work today :cheers:
I have allot of servicing to do from what I have been reading so that will keep me busy while I have some good weather :-D

At the top spring post... There should be a flat steel piece retaining the shoes, then the cable eyelet goes on with its flat side against the shoe Then that spring goes on the post while holding the cable guide against the shoe. If that cable guide isn't properly located, the cables length reaches too far and the adjuster wont work properly.
Finally the opposite upper return spring on the post.

That's why it is always a good reason to do one side of the brakes at a time , that way you can go look at the other side for referance .

That's why it is always a good reason to do one side of the brakes at a time , that way you can go look at the other side for referance .
That is want I will be doing Raider :-D

This will make this job much easier and we needed one on hand anyway :happy10:
I picked this up yesterday :happy10: so this will get the job dun and I will be back on the road again :cheers:
I want to thank everyone for all the great advise I was given here and want everyone to know I don't take the help I have been given for granted :happy10:

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 008.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 69
That's actually quite funny. i would wait 'till raider too. :)
Just got it RedFish :toothy10: You sure are the creative one :-D LMAO again this morning :toothy10:

-
Back