"Something" seems to be happening at W Grand and N Spaulding

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
On a pure whim something triggered me to look at Google maps, the old Grand Spaulding Dodge site. You all know I'm sure it's been closed for years and now of course "Mr Norm" has gone

There seems to be some sort of activity, and of course these photos are months old

Google Maps

A video, which itself is an "update" from a few years back..........evidently about 2013

I hope it's some sort of museum or something. Like the lions drags strip museum in cali.

Difficult to guess The new fence is substantial and way above the typical "industrial chain link" and yet there seems to be nothing much going on at the showroom end of the building. Interestingly, you can "drive" (Street view) off Grand at the rear tail of the building, enter the alley and go all the way around the building and back out on Spaulding!!

LOL the question may be answered. If I zoom out of the map it shows "Go To Steels" steel supplier.............and if you search that name, it comes up 3314 W Grand, Chicago...

Its in sad sad shape and is deteriorating as we speak. It’s really too bad that someone or some organization didn’t do a resto on it or have it declared a historic land mark. Kim

From information I read, it is in a terribly sketchy dangerous neighborhood now and may not be a place one would want to visit anyway. Unsure if this is true.

Cley

From information I read, it is in a terribly sketchy dangerous neighborhood now and may not be a place one would want to visit anyway. Unsure if this is true.

Cley
That’s the way I read it also. Too bad though, it’s a piece of racing history that should not be lost. Kim

It is sad that his dream wasn't kept alive. Back in 1972 when I was replacing original 383 in my GTS with a 440 I on a whim sent a note through the mail to the dealership with my name and phone number asking him about motor mounts since the 440 didn't have the holes in the front for the two bolts. I was shocked when about a week later Mr Norm called and talked for a pretty long time and told me to just like they had to and fab up something. In my book he was always a class act.

That’s the way I read it also. Too bad though, it’s a piece of racing history that should not be lost. Kim

I agree, future generations need something to see if they look up from their phones while passing by in their self-driven electric cars that have 1 second 0-60 times.

Just kidding. Everyone knows the Chinese government won't tell their American subjects to look up from their phones unless they're at work, doing the States' bidding.

It is sad that his dream wasn't kept alive. Back in 1972 when I was replacing original 383 in my GTS with a 440 I on a whim sent a note through the mail to the dealership with my name and phone number asking him about motor mounts since the 440 didn't have the holes in the front for the two bolts. I was shocked when about a week later Mr Norm called and talked for a pretty long time and told me to just like they had to and fab up something. In my book he was always a class act.

When they didn't keep the Steven Juliano collection intact and he didn't make arrangements for that, despite being obviously quite wealthy, i kinda gave up on dreams.

lovely.....looks like Detroit......doze that eyesore and make it a park. Useless building with no forseable tenent or industrial use...its done. C'mon Chicago, you got city service people and heavy equipment.... doing NOTHING but rusting for >$50/hr. Where does all that State street tax base money go...hmmm? It aint going to the CPD!
images%2Fbuildings-in-a-city-lit-up-at-night-state-street-chicago-loop-chicago-illinois%2C122544.jpg

-
Back