Son of a Hot

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok well I went to the Southern Nationals today. We took my car we were parked close to the track and the track temp was 149*F :glasses7:
Well we go in the car to go home it sucked.
So
I have a 1973 Plymouth Duster 225/6 ac car.
Only the heat work (not very hot) the car came with ac when I bought it but the ac system was missing the compressor and the lines were broke and the condenser was sreaded. So we pulled the lines and condenser off. I still have the A/C controls. I was wanting an aftermarket system but for a v8 engine. (So when I swap the motor). Where can I get an aftermarket ac system that not 1000 dollars, I like the vintage air one but it’s like 1300 dollars.
First is the a complete system with A/C and Heat
Second is there a complete A/c system
I was going to put rebuild/redo the heater box replace all the stuff in it.
Also put a new control unit in it
Also put new hoses running to the vents.

You do realize that rack temp of 149* means the asphalt was 149*.......what was the air temp.?

You would have to buy everything that you listed you took off from the factory. It is just what you have under your dash now, without all the air doors. A condenser and heater core.

I have pondered this for myself, and out off all the suppliers, your still looking at 900 for new everything. The only thing I have found cheaper is on Alibaba. The down side is it is factory direct and you have to buy in bulk, say 200 units or so.

I doubt anything is unrepairable in your factory climate box. The evaporators rarely fail, so if the fan and doors work, should be fine. The evaporator is just a straight tube (I think), with everything else AC in the engine bay.

You should be able to get another factory compressor fairly reasonable ($200). A York aluminum compressor is another option, as used on many dealer-added AC, but you would need to find the bracket for it and your hoses would change. Your factory AC hoses could be remade at a hydraulics shop.

I have a complete Vintage Air unit that I just removed from my Signet, I used it a week and bought it new 15 years ago when I thought I needed A/C in my Black on black 64 Signet but have gone a different route. I will photograph all the parts on a table including Street & Performance billet pulleys and stainless rods for mounting the compressor and Alternator at the engine compartment as shown here..
360017.jpg
I have all the hoses, billet pass-through for the firewall, factory instructions, condenser, every part and its their top of the line Super Cool and Heat unit..

I doubt anything is unrepairable in your factory climate box. The evaporators rarely fail, so if the fan and doors work, should be fine. The evaporator is just a straight tube (I think), with everything else AC in the engine bay.

You should be able to get another factory compressor fairly reasonable ($200). A York aluminum compressor is another option, as used on many dealer-added AC, but you would need to find the bracket for it and your hoses would change. Your factory AC hoses could be remade at a hydraulics shop.

The doors dont work and the heat barrly works

X the big TUEW

Are the doors vacuum or cable operated? I bet if you pull the box apart you will find 30 years of Georgia pine needles and a rat nest blocking the air flow of the heater core. While its out clean and reseal your doors with closed cell foam. If it is vacuum op, then use a vacuum pump to check the pots function. If it is a cable op, soak the cables in diesel fuel to free them up. by servicing the factory unit and replacing/upgrading the missing parts you'll come out cheaper then replacing the whole unit.

-
Back