Sorry guys another one.....

-

ThogtheCaveman

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
I just visited a shop in Whittier CA called "Speed Shop USA," and I talked to the owner. He seemed like a really great guy, we talked for almost an hour and a half! Anyway, I asked how much to install a 318/904 combo in my '69 dart, plus rebuild the front suspension with a kit that I already have. He said that this would be probably around 1,500 to 1,800 dollars. I also told him that the brakes would need to be redone, and that I might new new brake/fuel lines, I believe that is all in the price. My question is do you guys think this sounds fair? Also any locals around here ever used this shop? By the way, this is the same place that was in Mopar Collectors Guide last year I believe. They had a '70 roadrunner stolen from them and recovered at the Fall Fling in '06 I think. Sorry to ramble, thanks

From what I understand that price is to get the engine/tranny in and make it run. I am definately going to talk to him again, but my understanding was that would be roughly the final price of doing the following: rebuild front susp. install engine/tran, redo brakes. I think that is about it....

I think it's a little on the steep side. I would like to make $1,800 for a few hours work. Even for a full day.

If you lived here "we" would do it for free.

Well, maybe a little beer. :thumbup:

Well I think its a little high. whats he charge an hour? $175. like 340 dart said if you lived near me that is a 2 case job.

hey I'd swing down to 340's house and give a hand. So that would raise the price to 2 cases. I'd do it just to help out and do some work. Its been so cold up here and the money has been short so can't work on my car right now.

I could make it!! Can not do much but hand tool's to yall and keep the beer cold and cook. The price does sound about 700 to high! It does depend on where you live.
Here in Arkansas this would be about 750 dollar gob.

Unless you just have no desire to do it yourself... I say turn this in to a learning experience and do it yourself... Find you some good buddies to come over and help. You can rent an engine hoist and other things needed... Put that $$$$$$$ on something else... Its really not that hard.... JMO

Thog, your a young guy. Get a book, read up, get a service manual, get greasy. If this guy you talked to seems like a real dude, ask him if he would serve as a back up man willing to come to your house and point and talk you through it. Not turn a wrench.

For $1800, I'd rather spend on a set of ported heads. However, there have been times where I through in the towel for one reason or another and had a pro do the work. This should not be one of those times for you.

Is there another issue to be concerned about where you live and work on the car?

Is there another issue to be concerned about where you live and work on the car?

If you live in an apartment, I feel for you.

Got any buddies in the military? You can use the hobby shop on base.

rumblefish360 said:

No, I guess my biggest concern is that I am lazy.... :toothy7: I've never rebuilt a front end before, but I guess it can't be too hard can it? I think I just need to go out and get my hands dirty! Thanks for all the reply's guys!

You guy's that say he is charging to much have to remember that this is his business and he has more than just his own labor to pay for. Like for instance, rent/mortgage, insurance, utilities, labor taxes, waste disposal and I am sure he has other employees he has to pay just to name a few costs associated with owning your own business. Clearly some of you have not owned or do not know what the costs involved are with owning your own business. I own two and although it has it's perks it also has a lot of headaches and costs.

Granted there are other ways to get the job done with less expense but as far as paying a business to do it, the price is about on par and if he feels good about the guy doing it then that would be worth a little extra because piece of mind goes a long way. I don't think I want to put my life in the hand of the lowest bidder if I don't have to.

Chuck

I have owned and operated a woodworking shop, roofing business, and a general contractor business.

Even if he is charging $50 an hour he is saying it is going to take his professional shop 4 and a half days to do what me and a buddy can do in my two car garage in a long day. I still think it's too much.

Do it yourself and buy another project car with the money saved. :thumbup:

piece of mind goes a long way

Good point.

I have never lived or priced stuff in CA before. Maybe it is a little more expensive out there than I thought.
It might be fair there, but if you lived here you would be getting screwed.

ThogtheCaveman said:
No, I guess my biggest concern is that I am lazy.... :toothy7: I've never rebuilt a front end before, but I guess it can't be too hard can it? I think I just need to go out and get my hands dirty! Thanks for all the reply's guys!

I just did my total front end. I'm 40. Not Lazy, just constant pain in the joints. LOL, I just can't move to fast for anything anymore. But I do anyway.

340mopar
You guy's that say he is charging to much
No, it's just that $1800 is alot for my pocket and would allways rather do it myself if I can. Head porting isn't one of them.....yet.....I hope...LOL.
I do think that the ease of paying someone is OK if your not to good at something, never did it and want it done right...etc...
Every now and again, I have a pro work on the car. Last time around, about 2 weeks ago, I had a fella do a brake line. He bent it up himself. I couldn't find anyone reproing '79 Cordoba brake lines. (Front to rear) and the temp had just dropped 20*'s down into the teens for a high.
No better time to pay I say!

Sure does sound like a lot. A friend and myself rebuilt the front suspension on my Charger in a little over 6 hous with just plain old tool box tools. I did have to borrow the special socket for the upper ball joint however.

As far as porting heads, just gasket match the openings and DO NOT touch the chamber floor, leave it alone. All jobs done the first time are "scarry" but with a little patience and thinking and a good shop manual you can do a lot. Now, that being said there is no way I'd attempt to rebuild a carb. :scratch: LOL

i agree with 340mopar.
work done at home is a hobby.
work done at a bizness is a profession.
it has ALOT of overhead and comes with a warrenty.
most professional mechanics will have more money
in thier tool box and tools than most guys have in
3 or 4 cars.
the shop owner pays him and all other expenses.
longarm

But if you think about it, you are paying for the economy. keeping the american mechanic at work for another day. Heck, they have to eat too, Right?

-
Back