Sorry guys Dont shoot me! F@#D 9" to my Valiant.

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
LOL
Hey guys I have a chance to get a ford 9" posi with 350 gears. Question is what is the flange to flange measurement for a standard A body rear? I would be getting this rear for free and I want to set up a 3 link and panhard bar like XV engineering has done. So Im not worried about the modifications I am just curious what Ill have to cut out of the 9".
Please dont shun me from the site! lol

Ford in a MoPar?
Hey, what ever works, what ever the wallet affords. Screw everybody else. If it's that bad to them, let'em donate a rear! F'em.
God luck with the project.

Did you know that the 9" ford takes about 5% more power to turn because of were the pinion is located on the ring gear? Just something to consider if you are looking for every bit of power.

Chuck

4mulaSvaliant the 9'' ford has been used by some of or mopar builder's
And it sound's like a good deal on it too,Go for it.

I have herd the same as 340mopar aswell
What eng are you going to put in it.

340mopar said:
Did you know that the 9" ford takes about 5% more power to turn because of were the pinion is located on the ring gear? Just something to consider if you are looking for every bit of power.

Chuck

A good point that not many people are aware of.

4mulaSvaliant said:
LOL
Hey guys I have a chance to get a ford 9" posi with 350 gears. Question is what is the flange to flange measurement for a standard A body rear? I would be getting this rear for free and I want to set up a 3 link and panhard bar like XV engineering has done. So Im not worried about the modifications I am just curious what Ill have to cut out of the 9".
Please dont shun me from the site! lol

The 9" is stronger than an 8 3/4" because of the larger pinion bearing, which, besides snapped axles, is where most mopar failures occur. Unless you go with a DANA 60, then it will be the last part you break on the whole car.

I say go with the 9 inch and the suspension mods you want, I think it would be cool to see it done. Ford 9 inches do have that bad thing about them and losing 5 % power through them, however they are very strong if built right and not as heavy as a Dana 60 I believe.

rumblefish360 said:
Ford in a MoPar?
Hey, what ever works, what ever the wallet affords. Screw everybody else. If it's that bad to them, let'em donate a rear! F'em.
God luck with the project.

I will have to agree with rumble in 1990 I had a 19 :wav: 73 duster with 440 727 and the guy put a 12 bolt chevy rear 410 hey it worked great

Actually you are right, its the pinion support bearing that makes is strong (2 bearings instead of one keeps the flex to a minimum). There is a bearing on either side of the pinion gear. I believe all the Mopar and GM units use a single bearing. Also the low pisition of the pinion on the ring gear is what takes the 5% xtra power, but is what makes it stronger that the average rear end. I prefer the 8 3/4, but I would certainly take a Ford 9" or Dana 60 if offered for free. Racers used the FOrd rears for many years because of their strength and availability. Just like the Mopar units, there are good and bad case versions, some have bigger bearing than others.

Hey, whatever turns your crank, - or rather whatever your crank turns, in this case, go for it. :) The 8.75" rears are getting harder to find and progressively more expensive as time goes on. Also, you automatically upgrade to the more common 5 x 4.5" wheel bolt pattern with the 9", and again, the 5 x 4" wheels are increasingly harder to find, especially in 15".

The only thing I'd question, and it's strictly a personal point of view, is the intended use of the 3-link and panhard bar. Why not just weld on some spring perches in the proper location, and use your existing springs?

And no, we won't ban you for using a F$%^ rear end. :)

I wasn't saying don't use it, I was just stating the facts so people can make an real decision if they what to use it or not. I have a 9" in my Dart circle car because of the many available ring & pinion ratios. I needed ratios in the 6's for my track and as you stated flyboy01, the pinion support on both ends of the gear helps keep everything in check with ratios that steep.

Chuck

I agree with Sid the 8 3/4s are becoming very hard to find around my area. It took me well almost a year to find one for my Dart, even though I may have to put a Dana 60 in, depending on torque out put. Go with the 9 inch, and we wont bust your chops on using a F*rd product just get the Dart on the road, thats whats its all about!

Seems to me that the ford axle widths are pretty close to an A body in the old maverick, mustang and granada bodies - but be sure to check - this is going off my memory.....

Hey all thx for the replys.
As for the car and rear I think Ill gor for it. I guess I can look at it this way, I dont have a 727 to rob the power so why not lose a little with a rear! lol
It is a ford 9" form a bronco, posi and 350 gears so itll be a nice ratio for the street.
Ill have to get it narrowed. Someone told me that beacause I need to narrow it maybe I can center up the pumpkin (they are offset I guess).
Whatever the case Ill be copying XV Engineerings suspension set up. They have put a lot of thought and research into it and give full pics as to how they do it! Ill also be stiffening up the front end like they do with the braces to the inner fender-well. I like the idea of the tower strut as well. They have great pieces.
My VALIANT has a 360/904 combo Im rebuilding the trans with a transgo kit (TF2) and a hughes perf. torque converter. I have a functional duster 340 hood scoop and plan to build an airbox to funnel it all for more power! Ill be getting my sub frame connectors soon as well. I think I may make or buy some torque boxes too. Granted its just a 360 but it goes like hell even with a seriously slipping trans! (reason for new one). Several years back it twisted all to heck when I had to chain the motor down because I broke a mount. I could'nt miss the drags so I ran it and after the first pass I could barely open my door as it was all bound up and squealed when I opened it!

http://www.xvmotorsports.com/engineering/index.cfm

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2450328

check out the links to my 69 project on car domain as well as XV engineeering!
lata' guys

Seems to be a lot of talk about using a 8.8" Ford rear end. As I understand it, it is very close to the correct width and comes with disc brakes.

Car toon.jpg

My neighbor has a '75 Maverick. Probably a 8.8. Drum brakes. It bolts in. Lincoln Versailles has a 9" with disc brakes. It bolts in. I have been told those brake parts are hard to find. Lots of Lincolns have disc brake 9"ers.

I have a what is suppossed to be an 8 3/4 from a '66 B body. I have a chunk with an open 3:91 from '65. IIRC it is one inch wider on both sides than an A body rear.

Another rear to look at with discs is the Ferd Exploder. Bolt on rear cover like a Dana. Locker rears with 3:73's are common with the 4X4's. This rear looks heavy! Whether or not it is? I don't know.

The maverick probably has the 8" rear. The 8.8 is about 10 pounds lighter than the 8 3/4. 8.8 with drums, that is.

the mavericks with the big ford v8's had 9's...but i'm hooked on teh 8.8..bc i don't have excessive hp...and to have a posi and discs under $500..sounds liek a deal to me..just gotta find a locasl machine shop to do it cheap..ok here's the layout

rear end (w/passanger side axle)-$150
housing cut-$150
driveshaft to match(you'll have to do this changin' any rear)- $100
add $100 in flex-bucks...(little more, little less, gettin' brake acessories, etc.)

ALL TOTALS $500...Sounds liek a deal..then payin' $350 just for an 8 3/4...not a posi..not discs..not including driveshaft cut, and replacing brake components...that's the way i look at it..the cheapest posi i found was $700, with drums..

This 8.8 with discs is sounding like a pretty good option. I think HP wise Im putting out around 275-290 or so. So I really dont need anything as serious as a 9" Its just freeeeeeeeee. Still have to have it cut and all that though! Thats really what Im trying to avoid. My wife is gonna kill me if I tell her I need to spend even more $$$$$$$$$ lol :tongue9: Other than mavericks and whatnot is there a more common vehicle than that for it to come from?
Thx for all of your input guys! What was that lincoln I dunno if Ive ever seen that model!

Get the 9". Sell it to buy the 8.8 disc rear, and have some $$ left over for the mods to make it work. Probably only driveshaft mods.

Wish it would work that way but it would be a gift to me if I needed it. not neccisarily to sell it. Thats Ok though. The problem I think Ill have getting the 8.8 is that, where I live there arent many old cars in the yards! When they are here they get raped in a matter of days! That or the yards want a fortune for them. I had a GMC YUKON 4x4 and they wanted 1200.00 for a rear plus a core at the yard! what the he_ _? So needless to say I try not to go anywhere other than the "you wrench it" its the only fair place around. Im gonna start looking though! :thumbup:

wow.i could get one in a u wrench it here..for $110..not includin' the other passanger axle

-
Back