Source

-

cuda620

Reaction score
I’ve heard they had their problems early on but I’m curious how 440source parts, especially their rotating assemblies are. Looking at doing a possible stroker B block. I guess this is a review. I’d like any opinions that use their parts. Thank you.

You can do searches on almost any Mopar site. Some have no issues. Some do. It's mostly up to you and your builder to decide.
My personal approach based on using probably 10 kits of varying type:
Always budget to resize the rods and fit the pins to the small ends
Never use their balancing
Always carefully measure the crank and not with plastigage
Never use their cooling products.
Always assume their heads will need better springs, retainers, and locks and a valve job

I run their 400 block .030 over for 499 ci kit and have had zero issues.
The balance is right on nice and smooth.
That combo is in my Challenger and have driven back and forth to Carlisle from Cleveland no problem and get to the track a couple of times a year or simple TnT stuff.
Just did a comp test after the season and everything still nice and balanced.
I don't rev it to the moon but no issues for "cheap" stuff.
Watch any aluminum rockers with needle bearings though, not sure if still an issue but there where some when I did my build.

I’ve heard they had their problems early on but I’m curious how 440source parts, especially their rotating assemblies are. Looking at doing a possible stroker B block. I guess this is a review. I’d like any opinions that use their parts. Thank you.
:popcorn:

You can do searches on almost any Mopar site. Some have no issues. Some do. It's mostly up to you and your builder to decide.
My personal approach based on using probably 10 kits of varying type:
Always budget to resize the rods and fit the pins to the small ends
Never use their balancing
Always carefully measure the crank and not with plastigage
Never use their cooling products.
Always assume their heads will need better springs, retainers, and locks and a valve job
Whats the story on there cooling products? They kinda look like Procomp products.

The water pump housing ports were small, but they have fixed that issue.

This is the type of stuff I wanna hear. Hands on users. No roller rockers for sure. Keeping an open mind and observing.

The housing my customer bought had the thermostat holes drilled incorrectly so the T-stat housing couldn't be bolted in place. I never got to the point of running it with it. Just such a basic screw up I won't run anything else from them. Pretty much rotating kits and heads are it when I use them. Don't get me wrong - Source is good value. But good value doesn't mean "good enough" to run. You still need to spend to make them usable (IMO anyway) but overall you will still spend less than the higher price points.

I built a motor 10 years and 12,000 miles ago with many 440 Source parts. I used their 383 to 496 stroker kit, they balanced it, 440 source heads, 440 Source rocker arms, and many other 440 source parts. I did buy aftermarket machined valve locks for the heads. I beat the snot out of it for a decade. Spun it up to 6 grand daily. Had a lot of fun with it. Their customer service was excellent. Eventually, the needle bearings on the rockers let go and the metal circulating through the engine trashed the cam. I blame myself for that. I have never been known amongst my friends for keeping a good preventative maintenance schedule. In 10 years, I had only adjusted the valves in this motor (solid lifter cam) once. Maybe the presumably loose tolerances on my valve adjustments were responsible for hammering on those needle bearings. So I really can't even blame 440 Source for the eventual failure of the motor I built.
My experience with their stuff was very positive.
– Jay

Just had a 505 down the track in my 76 truck. Has 7 passes on it, so far its been very good, 620 HP. Ran a 500 in my sons car. Had no issues at all. That car was running 10s and was 3800#. Just stay away from there roller rockers.

Just had a 505 down the track in my 76 truck. Has 7 passes on it, so far its been very good, 620 HP. Ran a 500 in my sons car. Had no issues at all. That car was running 10s and was 3800#. Just stay away from there roller rockers.
Yea, I heard. I was gonna run ductile iron Iskys anyway. Thanks!

I bought a 500 stroker kit years ago and had lots of success with it in my Daytona. Best ET's out of it were some low 8.60's@155 mph. When I took it apart after 275 passes the block was cracked and I sold the assembly to a Friend and its still going strong. A few years later I bought a 512 assembly that has been sitting here for years as I have been messing around with some small blocks. I picked up a Mega Block so the 512 should be up and running this year. The Duster is heavier but I will go out on a limb and predict some 8.70's-8.80's as I did some more porting work on my 440-1 heads. I've had and ported 3 sets of the 440source heads and sold them. There are way better options out there as far as heads so I won't buy those again. Here's a picture of my 512 that I took when I dummied it together to check a few things.

36392392833_ad31c00289_k.jpg
Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

-
Back