spark plug cleaner...?

Shop, Garage and Tools

1. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    7:35 AM
    Do these really work? I dont see how they would not make a spark plug like new as long as you regap it. I know its uber scrooge like to clean spark plugs but it just seems that a spark plug only gets dirty, knowing a little about the conductive property of metal. If the electrode is not melted off or eaten up, it should bring them back to life right? Talking copper here, not IR or platinum stuff. Looks like an abrasive blaster in a bag. Blast them and then hit them with air. I just spent $2.50 a plug on my truck. I can imagine doing a fleet of vans or something...$$
    [​IMG]

2. straightlinespeed

straightlinespeed Sometimes I pretend to be normal Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:35 AM
    Ive cleaned small engine spark plugs with emery cloth. Sometimes it works, sometimes not... If I had the choice to buy that, I would pass.

3. 1320racing

1320racing Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Aerosol brake cleaner - gritless

4. moparwedden

moparwedden Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:35 AM
  5. SSG_Karg

SSG_Karg Stuck in the middle

Local Time:
    My father-in-law has that exact unit. Works pretty well but like OP said, uber scrooge. Buy new plugs. All it takes is a couple little grains of grit to score a cylinder wall.:banghead:

6. toolmanmike

toolmanmike FABO MODERATOR Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    I've sold a few to dealers. Lots of short run times on engines can foul plugs. No reason to replace the plug when all they need is a little blasting.

7. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    The heat of combustion and various conditions in the engine can actually change the ceramic. Or maybe it permanently imbends some of the "stuff" in there to the ceramic. Regardless, sometimes cleaning works, sometimes it seems to be a waste of time.

8. RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Weenie idiot loser. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Yeah I used to know an old timer who said that plugs could "die". Seems his reasoning was that they could be run overly rich for long periods and then fail to fir altogether or fire very weakly. Whether or not he was right, I don't know, but I know have run into several occasions through the years when nothing but a fresh set of plugs would work.

9. DFX 340 Duster

DFX 340 Duster FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    The spark plug cleaner works well to clean the plug. In order to make used plugs work best the center electrode should still have sharp edges. During my days of attending college, I would clean the plugs, file the center electrode so that it was flat, perpendicular to the vertical axis, and had sharp edges, then gap them. It took some time depending on the condition of the plugs.
    Ever since graduating and being employed I only clean them if they are dirty and replace them if they need to be filed.

10. bOb shingler

bOb shingler Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I've had one of those plug cleaner for going on 20+ years. they work real good but you do have to have a large sewing needle to get the few grains of grit out.

11. MOPARMITCH

MOPARMITCH Mekong Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Here is mine

Attached Files:

12. fishy68

fishy68 Tyr Fryr's Inc. FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    X2... If you've ever looked down into a plug around the insulator after you cleaned one you'll see some grit is left no matter how much you blow it out or wash it out with cleaner. Only way I've ever got it out is like Bob said with a large sewing needle

13. Denvermike

Denvermike Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Used a free standing unit on cars and airplanes from the mid 60's to the late 70's. It also had a tester as part of it. As has been said, got to clean all the grit out. Never had any trouble even with the plugs on A-26 Invaders.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.