Spark plug gap with msd

-
I gap mine at .046 with a 6al and the blaster SS. I think NGK doesn't recommend more than that with regular plugs

I am running a msd 6 al box. I have been gapping the plugs at .050. This seems to be the max gap that the tip of the plug can be massaged to. I run champion 404 's . I have tried to gap to .060 , even with my special " gapping" tool, the tip can't retain the squareness to the electrode. I also retired all oil filled coils. I run an ecoil.

I am running a msd 6 al box. I have been gapping the plugs at .050. This seems to be the max gap that the tip of the plug can be massaged to. I run champion 404 's . I have tried to gap to .060 , even with my special " gapping" tool, the tip can't retain the squareness to the electrode. I also retired all oil filled coils. I run an ecoil.

I was hoping someone was going to mention the tip issue, and that's probably why they don't recommend going over what they state with the gap.
It was close getting them to 50 and have the electrode where it needed to be.

I was hoping someone was going to mention the tip issue, and that's probably why they don't recommend going over what they state with the gap.
It was close getting them to 50 and have the electrode where it needed to be, and it took a little taping here and a little pressure there to get them in line.

I tried going up on the gap and the motor was not as snappy off idle. Went back to .035 and was fine. 6al 2 with NGK's

It may depend on which MSD system you are using. The Digital 6AL instructions say to use .040" gap.

It may depend on which MSD system you are using. The Digital 6AL instructions say to use .040" gap.

Really? I thought that was the advantage to a strong ignition being able to widen the gap. I've had my 6al as wide as .055 ran fine but didn't like the way the electrode lined up with the ground strap.

-
Back