Spark plug gap

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
Hey guys question. Trying to get my 360 fired and I got some plugs for it, champion platinum, what gap are you guys running? It's a 360 roller La roughly an 89 block. It calls for .036 but that seems wide. I'm going to eventually hook up an MSD box but I'm just trying to get it lit first. Any input?

A good ignition system should have no trouble firing a gap that big. A bigger gap makes a bigger spark, which helps spread the flame better in the compressed mixture. I say stick with .036". If you have trouble firing it up, then start trouble shooting your ignition components.

I depends on what ignition you are using. stock mopar electronic ignition calls for .035 gap, while the GM HEI setup calls for .045 gap. I would consult your ignition manufactures guidelines.

Hey guys question. Trying to get my 360 fired and I got some plugs for it, champion platinum, what gap are you guys running? It's a 360 roller La roughly an 89 block. It calls for .036 but that seems wide. I'm going to eventually hook up an MSD box but I'm just trying to get it lit first. Any input?
ya that's what you need is msd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I would try 100thows. that will do sumthing for sure..................at lest a good start.......................good luck...Artie

Yea I always run MSD boxes. Good starting and burn. Just forgot what I use to gap my plugs at.

With MSD I've always used .045 on naturally aspirated. With stock electronic or points I keep it at .035. It should start and run with either.

Thanks moper if I remember correctly that's around what I use to run. Ill give er a shot.

I use a MSD6AL & Blaster coil.
Running a Champion RC15YC4 plug gapped @ .045.
No concerns, run them the whole season.

The gap is good with stock ignition, I havent had much luck with champion lately, they were good in there day. I do better with ngk and or autolite. Just my 2 cents.

.036 is most certainly not "wide." In fact this was the old school defacto gap for the vast majority of cars back in the "breaker points" days

In the early 70's when electronic and smog came along, .045 and even wider began to see favor.

-
Back