Spark plug questions

-
i think spark plugs are like motor oil,as far as what people like.each has his or her own brand they like. most are good

In response to post 26;
One time, back in the early 80s, I was doing a tune-up on a Chevy pick-up. I cant recall the year of that truck, but I do remember it was HEI. Anyway I put a set of Champions in it;direct crossover from the emissions tag.Well that thing ran terrible. Remember I had just done the ignition; wires plugs cap, and rotor.And it wasnt running bad when it came in. So after reviewing my work and finding nothing wrong, I decided to put the old plugs back in. Like a charm, it ran nice again. Well I zipped over to my supplier and got some A/Cs. Installed those and she ran just fine.
Now, I cant really fault the Champions cause they work very well in all my Mopes.It might have been several bad Champions. I reasoned that was hardly likely. But ever since that day, in GMs I only put A/Cs, Fords get Autolites, and Mopes get Champions. I cant say right or wrong. Its just what I do. Never had a problem since.

I'm currently using Bosch Platinum plugs in my Commando 273. I used Champion N12-YC for years in my small-block Mopars without a problem, but had heard some bad things about their quality these days. The Bosch plugs have been in for 3 years now with no problems, I just check the plug gap occasionally.

I agree bosh platinums are very nice. I tried getting those last year and parts store said they discontinued those?

Autolite 1139 AR. Ran them in my old 340 & my current 273. Sweet plug for higher comp small blocks! shorter ground strap to help with pre ign. There only down fall is if you foul em good once there done! ask how I know,LOL!

How do you know? Lol just kidding! Been there before!
So....what exactly is the difference between between a 1139 and a regular 65 Autolite plug?? Just the ground strap? What about heat range?
Man there are so many options for plugs lol..

Working at the Buick dealer in Moorestown in the late 70's, had the same experience. Sometimes just running AC spark plugs in place of brand C would solve a rough idle. No 2 identical engines are alike. Course every thing is different now, company owners, country of manufacture etc.

In response to post 26;
One time, back in the early 80s, I was doing a tune-up on a Chevy pick-up. I cant recall the year of that truck, but I do remember it was HEI. Anyway I put a set of Champions in it;direct crossover from the emissions tag.Well that thing ran terrible. Remember I had just done the ignition; wires plugs cap, and rotor.And it wasnt running bad when it came in. So after reviewing my work and finding nothing wrong, I decided to put the old plugs back in. Like a charm, it ran nice again. Well I zipped over to my supplier and got some A/Cs. Installed those and she ran just fine.
Now, I cant really fault the Champions cause they work very well in all my Mopes.It might have been several bad Champions. I reasoned that was hardly likely. But ever since that day, in GMs I only put A/Cs, Fords get Autolites, and Mopes get Champions. I cant say right or wrong. Its just what I do. Never had a problem since.

everyone has thier favorites

1st let me say this is just my opinion, but Autolite Plugs are cheap junk. I have learned this over the years with having cars come in running like crap only to learn the owner tried to tune up using the things.
I've seen many a mopar puke the wrong plugs, put a good set of Champions in and your good to go.
I've come to learn, Champions and some NGK's in Mopars, Motorcraft in Fords and AC's in GM's. Bosh plugs go into Euro trash and there is a plethora of stuff if jap cars. I also know the company that owns NGK also owns Champion.
but the one thing that seems to be common among most all makes, Autolite plugs just don't get the job done.

1st let me say this is just my opinion, but Autolite Plugs are cheap junk. I have learned this over the years with having cars come in running like crap only to learn the owner tried to tune up using the things.
I've seen many a mopar puke the wrong plugs, put a good set of Champions in and your good to go.
I've come to learn, Champions and some NGK's in Mopars, Motorcraft in Fords and AC's in GM's. Bosh plugs go into Euro trash and there is a plethora of stuff if jap cars. I also know the company that owns NGK also owns Champion.
but the one thing that seems to be common among most all makes, Autolite plugs just don't get the job done.

You got it backwards Champion are "GARBAGE"..i've been running Autolite race plugs for years so have several other racers i know never failed me...i wouldn't even run Champions in a lawnmower:D:D

I'm using RN9YC Champions. I bought a case of them back in the mid 80's. [special deal] I still have 48 left. Once these are done, if I'm still around, I'll probably go to NGK.

After reading this thread, as well as others I figured "why not". I am gonna try these Autolite 64's that I keep hearing about. Ordered from Summit that night and just replaced the Champion RN 12YC plugs in my stockish 360 last night. The Champions had about 4000 miles on them, but like I said, for $1.97, why not. Idles smoother, and after 2 years with the old plugs I can definitely feel the change when I bury the right pedal. Kinda surprised me, but glad I tried 'em!

My father, who worked for GM, Showed me why AC plugs were superior to the others. Was a few years ago tho. I still use AC plugs. MT

I use Champion RN12YC, or RN14YC.

or......if I need spark plugs "right now".....not special order,

I'll use NGK GR4, or GR5.'

Champion.....if IN STOCK.,

NGK, otherwise.

I like NGK for my performance cars.I do run motorcraft in my lincoln and autolite seems to run well in just about everything.I have had the worst luck(albeit years ago)with Accel plugs.Accel and Champion seem to resist flooding/fouling the least IMO.

-
Back