Spark plug wire management

-

6T9QDA

Reaction score
I've seen small-blocks with the plug wires running around the back end of the valve covers and then along the lower edge to the plugs, instead of over the covers. Can anyone recommend a specific set of of supports to accomplish this? Lots of wire loom choices out there. I'm not sure which would be best, and would like to go on what you guys are happy with. Pics would be welcome if you've got 'em.

I used R&M looms. Easy to mount, I like the style, clear my headers and are well made. They fit standard valve covers too, but I run a set of fabricated covers which elevates the wires a bit more. I believe they also offer two styles when it comes to how the base is bent and they can be installed a few different ways to change how it's oriented too.
Between these and a set of 90 degree boots on 5&7, I've quit burning wires which is awesome.

R&M Specialties, Original Spark Plug Wire Loom, Quick-release valve covers, Custom Spark Plug Wire Divider

1701979430673.png

Stock Magnum wire looms. Sorry, no pics right now- I'll see if I can get some next time I'm in the shop.
They press on over the studs that are used to hold the valve covers on instead of bolts.
Sorta like these:
1701986378778.png

I always grab a bunch (along with the studs) every time I go to the boneyard. Cheap and effective.
This thread also has some ideas for you:
Spark plug wire holder question?

Good suggestions, thanks.

Do you know off the top of your head what tools are required to pull those Magnum studs? I don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight.

Good suggestions, thanks.

Do you know off the top of your head what tools are required to pull those Magnum studs? I don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight.
Just a 7/16 deepwell socket and ratchet. A 7/16 box end will work in a pinch.
The nice thing is it doesn't have to be a V8, some of the ones from V6s are useable as well.
The factory used the valve cover studs to route a lot of things in addition to the plug wires- heater hoses, wiring harnesses, vacuum lines, etc. They come in really handy for tidying things up.

Here's a pic of a Magnum vc stud and an assortment of the looms I have on hand, and a pic of them on my Magnum Dakota. I use them not just along the bottom for plug wire management, but along the top of the vcs to guide harnesses, vacuum hoses and heater hoses.
20231208_104200.jpg

20231208_105001.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back