Spark Plugs Vs Headers

-

ronw

Reaction score
Just finished installing my Headers on the 68 Dart with a 540 stroked engine. It has Elephant ears for mounts. The problem is that #6 Plug clearance is not enough to allow a regular size spark plug. Are there shorties available to fix my problem? My engine is 10.5 to 1 with a 557 lift purple shaft cam and max wedge heads and intake with 1050 carb. What plugs do I need and should I use all shorty plugs or just were needed? Thanks Ron

Sorta.....but not really. Accel has "header plugs" available. We used to call them peanut plugs.......but they are not much smaller at all than a standard plug.

Not using any plugs now, just putting engine together. Tried old set of plugs just for mock up knowing that it looked real close.

Sorta.....but not really. Accel has "header plugs" available. We used to call them peanut plugs.......but they are not much smaller at all than a standard plug.

This.. Also Autolite's spark plug paper catalog..: In the back ,there's a heat range/physical size page,that you might find helpful. A well build 906 headed 440 in a 4x Dodge truck, needed some shortie plugs to clear cheapo headers. We ended up with three shorties ( lawn mower plugs) ,& five normal plugs ,same heat range. Ran beautiful, plugs had the same color all around.

Thats a hell of a design if a plug dont clear properly. I would call the manufacture and see what they say. They gotta be aware of this design defect. Probably end up getting the torch out to make proper clearance.

Thats a hell of a design if a plug dont clear properly. I would call the manufacture and see what they say. They gotta be aware of this design defect. Probably end up getting the torch out to make proper clearance.

It was a Pismo Beach "sand drag weekend", last minute assembly /slam it together thing.. The headers were Blackjack ,or Flowtech, as I recall. Good luck calling tech line on either, did the speed shop/retail parts gig. Doesn't happen anymore.
You're right on the torch,didn't have one in my shop ....

540" stroker motor! I love it. These are the types of quality problems most normal people don't have. Best of luck.

-
Back