SPEEDMASTER ALUMINUM HEADS

-
The intake mounting bolts/holes aren’t perpendicular to the mounting surface on LA heads.

Open the holes up a touch and it won’t hurt a thing. Starting intake bolts especially when the engine is in the car can test even the best of the best.

The intake mounting bolts/holes aren’t perpendicular to the mounting surface on LA heads.
Thats good to know, that would make sense to keep some downward pressure on the gasket. I had planned on pulling out my old J heads to confirm the angle but haven't gotten around to it yet. These must be at a more extreme angle because they dont really hit the manifold squarely.

Open the holes up a touch and it won’t hurt a thing. Starting intake bolts especially when the engine is in the car can test even the best of the best.
That was my plan, thank you.

I haven't installed a boat load if intake manifolds but I have never had as much trouble with the other dozen or so as I did this one.

Last edited:
I've even ground a point or not exactly a sharp point but rounded the tip of a bolt off to get it to start... Of course I run a nut up on it first so the threads work...

Dont really care about what is on your menu.....it is my money...
and that computer you are using....where was it made....??
I saved a lott just buying the bare heads and installing the the Chevy stainless valves, they have the correct dia. already. back cut valves. +.100" Good bump in flow with minimum spent...just lap em in and go or grind on em if you prefer, I didn't have the time for that.

Just going by what I've read on here, by the time you buy the heads and have them reworked and install quality valve's and spring's, you have the same amount of money spent as you would on a set of edelbrock heads or another quality product.

I bought some bbc stuff on one of their black friday sales. Ludicrously inexpensive. I can have them checked out, and good parts installed and still be under half of what a pair of brodix or AFR's would run. 90-95% of the afr's power will still easily get my junk where I want it to run.
Plan on buying during the the sales, get the cnc bare, buy good parts to finish, i think youll be happy. Even if you have to buy complete, it'll still be a bargain.

Just going by what I've read on here, by the time you buy the heads and have them reworked and install quality valve's and spring's, you have the same amount of money spent as you would on a set of edelbrock heads or another quality product.
Depending on your needs and wants. If u buy the heads bare and put decent hardware in them they are still cheaper. U can install far better parts then u come out about the same or even more $ than the Ebrocks. But then u should have bought the Ebrocks to start with. The loaded Speedmasters will be just fine for most ppl including u? U should have any head checked and reworked if necessary. Kim

Are the Ebrocks a quality product? They’re made in Chiba to and are finished in the States. Kim

I bought some bbc stuff on one of their black friday sales. Ludicrously inexpensive. I can have them checked out, and good parts installed and still be under half of what a pair of brodix or AFR's would run. 90-95% of the afr's power will still easily get my junk where I want it to run.
Plan on buying during the the sales, get the cnc bare, buy good parts to finish, i think youll be happy. Even if you have to buy complete, it'll still be a bargain.
Yes sir, nothing wrong with saving your work credits...best deal out there I believe.

Edelbrock heads are cast in California and finished in Tennessee. I've checked this out

Unfortunately that doesn't imply the quality is better. I took a used set of Edelbrocks in to the racing engine builder/machinist I used back in CO to be freshened up and they needed a lot more than would be expected from a used set of heads. Guides were too tight, valve seats were garbage, variance in port sizes/shapes. If I had to do it again I'd either get a set of Speedmasters and have them gone through or just pony up for Trick Flows.

BTW all this (previous) "buy American" stuff, the companies are more to blame than consumers. Maximizing profit margins with cheap labor and passing the gains on to their executives and shareholders and screwing the workers out of jobs. Then you also have our labor laws that make production expensive to begin with in this country. It's a complicated issue that can't simply be solved by buying Made in USA stuff although it does help, I still do it when possible.

Unfortunately that doesn't imply the quality is better. I took a used set of Edelbrocks in to the racing engine builder/machinist I used back in CO to be freshened up and they needed a lot more than would be expected from a used set of heads. Guides were too tight, valve seats were garbage, variance in port sizes/shapes. If I had to do it again I'd either get a set of Speedmasters and have them gone through or just pony up for Trick Flows.

BTW all this (previous) "buy American" stuff, the companies are more to blame than consumers. Maximizing profit margins with cheap labor and passing the gains on to their executives and shareholders and screwing the workers out of jobs. Then you also have our labor laws that make production expensive to begin with in this country. It's a complicated issue that can't simply be solved by buying Made in USA stuff although it does help, I still do it when possible.
Or I have the other end of the spectrum...
Before I bought my speedmaster heads I called the local shop and ask them about getting looked over...
They said those chinese heads are going to needid everything... We're going to need new valve guides new valve grind new valves new springs everything they could think of... It said how much is that going to cost? they said at least nine hundred dollars... The heads are seven hundred to the door...
I went ahead and got them and took them to my extremely reputable machine shop where they sat for 3 months till I picked them back up...
I took them to another shop a friend recommended of old timers and they actually took them apart and put their hands on them and said they were just fine, maybe a little dry from sitting on the shelf so they lubricated them.. They checked the spring rates and they were a close match to what I already had that were set up for my six hundred lift cam...
They have ran perfect on my stroker motor for years...
This has been my experience yours may differ...

I bought castings only on black friday 2020, with shipping was under $450 for the set. I had my engine builder put good components in them for another few hundred. I doubt the car would run any better with Edelbrocks for twice the money or more. Its a 360 with stock crank and rods with Icon pistons 10.5:1 compression in a 68 valiant that weighs 3350 lbs with me in it that runs 11.60's in full street trim and steel wheels.

-
Back