SPEEDMASTER ALUMINUM HEADS

-
Anyone ever hear of SPEEDMASTER aluminum heads good or bad ? Found a pair of new ones for a good price.
Search feature here is pretty handy, and right dandy. Have you tried it yet? Hours of reading and education free for the taking

Never answered where your computer was made?.....

Anyone ever hear of SPEEDMASTER aluminum heads good or bad ? Found a pair of new ones for a good price.
Ive found my Pro Maxx small block CNC ported heads to be really very very good. Disassembled checked out good to go. I personally modified the spring seat for different springs.

Quality cleanup and a little paint, an engine don't know or care where a cylinder head is made.
Performance is the only thing that matters. lol

Quality cleanup and a little paint, an engine don't know or care where a cylinder head is made.
Performance is the only thing that matters. lol
Wrong attitude
"some people you just can reach"
Keep talk'n it creates awareness.

Wrong attitude
"some people you just can reach"
Keep talk'n it creates awareness.
I think some people's budgets you just can't change.... It really does come across as if you're telling people how/where to spend their money...

"" speedmaster heads are made in china"" Where do you think edelbrock heads are cast?

Or your ignition, carburetors, blah, blah, blah. Find the most American built hotrod and you will find chinesium.... I didn't do it. Don't blame me. It was set in stone well before I was born.....

JW

I'm pretty positive the Edelbrocks are cast here in America, but LOL A lot of people are now finding the Speedmaster castings nicer at less than half the price...

Last edited:
the earlier procomps had problems
get the speedmasters bare and pick your parts
edelbrocks spotty qa is well documented- you have to rebuid them

the earlier procomps had problems
get the speedmasters bare and pick your parts
edelbrocks spotty qa is well documented- you have to rebuid them
What crime pay out all that money and you have to rework new heads.
I guess you get what you pay for. Wouldn't a fella would be better off just to buy better heads rather than buy the cheap heads and add the cost of making them right?

What crime pay out all that money and you have to rework new heads.
I guess you get what you pay for. Wouldn't a fella would be better off just to buy better heads rather than buy the cheap heads and add the cost of making them right?
I have a pair of Speedmasters and they look pretty good. It has been written and posted hundreds of times that any new head you buy should be checked out before you pull it out of the box and bolt it on. Just my take on the subject.

Dropped off a set of the CNC speedmaster head for a new valve job....These were a complete set with valves and springs from Speedmaster. Asked the guy to upgrade the valve job,,,,,lol
And the valve springs are going to replaced and he will flow bench one port.....4 to 6 weeks....
Sounds like I've got the same heads as you but I just got mine back from the head shop. The machinist said that the CNC porting job looked pretty good but the valve job was ****. He said it looked like they did a 1 angle valve job and that the cut was pretty far back (deep?). The spring rates weren't very consistent but usable. However, I'll probably have to shim springs maybe .030 to bring the pressure up a bit to match my intended cam. I also had an intake and exhaust port flowed. Results match up pretty well to what others have posted with the intake topping out at 274.

Last edited:
While I’m sure there are plenty here who got a nice set of cast and machined Speedmasters the set I got had a few too many machining issues especially the rocker stands radius not matching the shafts (oem or the Ersons I have, the shafts were loose) and a couple rocker stand heli-coils not installed correctly, and the valve job on the seats were’nt very good so I unloaded them and went with something else.

Sounds like I've got the same heads as you but I just got mine back from the head shop. The machinist said that the CNC porting job looked pretty good but the valve job was ****. He said it looked like they did a 1 angle valve job and that the cut was pretty far back (deep?). The spring rates weren't very consistent but usable. However, I'll probably have to shim springs maybe .030 to bring the pressure up a bit to match my intended cam.
Yep. Like everybody says. he price is right and with a little work can be made into some pretty good heads. I started a thread with links to all the Speedmaster head threads. Some good stuff in some. Speedmaster head thread index

Last edited:
I bought a bare set of CNC heads...added their intake and exhaust valve...retainers and keepers too.....bought PAC 1903 valve springs since that is what i use for Flat tappet cams...paid the local machine shop to do a valve job and assemble them...all said and done i have 1500 invested....

eddy heads are that much ...
trick flow 2200 dollars plus bolts or studs...

my speedmaster did not look very good on their flow bench....but with the slug of a short block 360 ...the car has run 11.19 @ 118.56 in Vegas which is at 2000 ft plus lousy Barometric Pressure...car weighted 3000 lbs with me...weighted at the track....probably run 10.90s in Bakersfield....

Would the TF be faster?,,,,,maybe...but probably not this the short block...So I think they are a hell of a deal....
Next Black Friday I will be looking again....

Yes..he took a flash light and eye balled the CNC work said it looked good but they left a small ridge in the bowl...Said the valve job would be 350 dollars and he would clean up the bowls...plus for another 50 bucks he would flow one of the ports...I brought new valve springs....these heads are new and never have been run.

-
Back