Speedo help

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
[COLOR="DarkGreen"The patient is my '72 Duster: I cant remember if the speedo was working, but I seem to think it was. but, its definitely not now. I looked up the best I could and saw the cable end is OUT of the speedo gauge-thinking I only needed to plug it back! didnt happen. I again did my best to plug it in, but as anyone who has fought these cables under the dash knows, its NOT EASY. Anyway, I cannot feel a click like when the clip slides over the ring/groove on the gauge housing. But, my next idea is to pull the instrument panel and try to see why the cable will not insert. Can I hook up the cable with the instrument panel pulled out slightly?
ANY AND ALL IDEAS will be appreciated! PS: I didnt feel the end of the cable, so I guess its possible its broken, should I check this first? How?

George in Tallahassee[/COLOR]

There will be very little length left to hook it up with the cluster out.
In fact you probably won't even be able to see it to try to hook it up with the cluster out at all.
If you really want to pull the cable out, do it from in the engine compartment and ease it out being carefull not to rip out wires and stuff. Just ease it out.
And consider having to snake it back in there afterwards.

There is a little clip as you suspect on the plastic end that snaps off, then they won't clip on anymore.
Mine is like that, but I just made sure the cable was free enough to stay in place and not try to pull off the speedo head. (been that way for over a year now and works just fine)

Of course there is always the option of a new one.

Unplug it from the tranny, hook up under the dash, then back under the car and fiddle with the cable to ensure it is in the back of the speedo correctly, then hook up to transmission....might wanna see if it needs lube....

How I do it. When I'm removing a panel, The speedometer cable has a little sheet metal strap under the drivers seat area to hold it in a slow curve there. Set the cable out of that strap.
Next I find the speedo cable comming through the firewall, pulling there and pushing towrd the dash should push the inst' panel out of the dash. Just a few inches is ample cable to put it back together again. Just remember to push the cable back out of the firewall drawing the panel into the dash rather than have that cable put excessive force on the instrument.
Where you are now... Disconnect the neg' battery cable. Take the one phillips oval head screw out of the fuse box. Gently lift the box out of its bracket and move it away and down so it rests behind that bracket. Pull the headlight switch full on, push the stem release button on that switch body and remove the knob/stem. Remove the switch bezel nut and push the switch in and under the dash. These simple moves should give you plenty of room for your arm and your seeing the cable connection.

I am still working......now I understand why most folks dont like to work under the dash!

I'm thinking the cable is broken as I cant see or feel any part sticking out of the sheath.

My fuel gauge isnt working either. I fashions a ground with a solid piece of copper wire using hose clamps on the sender over to the fuel line, would that ground be OK?

Here's what the speedo end should look like.

View attachment speed.jpg

Is your temp gauge working? If not it could likely be your voltage limiter on the back of the cluster.

Here's is the factory fuel sending unit ground. It clips onto the metal fuel lines from the chassis and the tank bridging the rubber hose connecting the two.

View attachment ground.jpg

You must have arms like logs, I think there is plenty of room to shove the cable on up there, I understand clip could be broke you should be able to feel that or see it if your laying under the dash. Also try pulling a inch or 2 from firewall towards dash to give you more cable.

Working on the dash doesn't have to be so difficult. Going about it the wrong way will make it more difficult.

Shoving the cable on is super easy. Getting a finger on the clip to release it depending upon the rotation of the clip isn't always. It sits right in the middle of the column support structure. I know I have big hands and fingers too. I've had my teenage daughter sometimes reach into places on my cars to place a part where my hand simply won't fit. Now throw some arthritis into those fingers, shoulders and the spine including the neck and it's not easy for all of us to get under those dashes or to lean over an engine bay. But give up working on our beloved Mopars? No way, I'll take the pain and the hitch in my walk the next day.

You must have arms like logs, I think there is plenty of room to shove the cable on up there, I understand clip could be broke you should be able to feel that or see it if your laying under the dash. Also try pulling a inch or 2 from firewall towards dash to give you more cable.

Really, you must have twiggy arms, it's all I can do to get my fingers up in there to even touch it, let alone do anything with it. I still have to connect mine yet.

Look peoples... If you're fecking around with your own car and have time, kids, whatever, have fun but...
Do you really thing the dealers service mechanics spent hours fecking with something so simple ?
Drop down on your knees in the drivers doorway, drop the fuse box, drop the light switch, left hand in and get'er done, get paid.

My problem is solved! The cable had simply come loose from the back of the gauge, but I could not get it re-connected and wasnt sure if it was broken. One of our senior members- RedFish had the best idea: simply take the cable OUT OF THE GUIDES located under the drivers seat- that gave me enough cable slack to reattach it to the speedo AFTER I PULLED THE INSTRUMENT PANEL OUT OF THE DASH. I could easily see and feel what I was doing, and it also gave me a chance to lube the cable. Now I can get to the last item to fix: the fuel gauge!

George in Tallahassee

Attachments

• IMG_2995.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 148
I agree, the length is definitely no longer than necessary. I got mine by lining it up as best I could and finally pressing it in place with a pry bar. My cable was new and I knew the clip was intact. It just wouldn't go on. It took a lot of sweat and swearing, but I finally got it. Then my speedo crapped out for the third time and I just said screw it! I went to a new dash with electronic gauges and senders. The gas gauge is set for the proper resistance for a Mopar OE fuel sender.

It snap on connedtor is white and fairly easy to see. Lots of stuff in there should have been white. Anyway.. To get a couple of fingers on that connector and try to attach the cable aint gonna work. Here's why...
The end of the cable is floating in a large diameter cavity of that connector. It wont stay centered when you are moving the connector. Get a hand around the black sheathe behind the connector and steer it toward the instrument. That keeps the cable centered in the connector much better.

-
Back