Speedocable leak and question

-

hawkgoalie31

Reaction score
so I noticed my speedometer cable was leaking bad. I pulled it off and noticed the gear is also destroyed. I remeber replacing it not that long ago and its already destroyed. So a couple questions.

1. Where can I get a new rubber O ring and metal retraining clip?
2. What would cause the gear to be so damaged and can I do anything to prevent this.
3. Where can I get a new gear.

Thanks all!

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

Clip,is the wire that retains seal in housing,transmission shop as well as the seal and gear.
Im suspecting the housing was not indexed to the proper position for gear diameter.

Brewers Profotmance and Mancini have the parts.

As for why the gear it torn up. Look at the housing, on it is fine notches and then some numbers, these numbers are the range of the gear tooth count. On the trans, there is a arrow/ line that the notch lines up to... the gears are different sizes, and then have different tooth counts for that size...

Brewers Profotmance and Mancini have the parts.

As for why the gear it torn up. Look at the housing, on it is fine notches and then some numbers, these numbers are the range of the gear tooth count. On the trans, there is a arrow/ line that the notch lines up to... the gears are different sizes, and then have different tooth counts for that size...

AWWW that makes sense. So for example, since I have the red one which is 36 tooth I need to make sure the notch lines up in the correct spot with the Speedometer Housing Sleeve and transmission. I just went to look and I don't see an arrow. But I do see a small pin in the bottom of the housing. I am assuming that's it. Make so much sense know haha! If thats also the case does it matter the size I buy and why do they have different sizes?

Whether there’s an index “bip” mark what have you just use the 6 o’clock position of the hole, or bottom to index. There are charts posted on this forum somewhere if you search. Take rear tire diameter and gear ratio and that determines the number of teeth speedo pinion to use

Heres why they have different tooth count speedometer gears. It's to match the speedometer to the tire diameter and rear end ratio so it reads correctly. See handy chart below.

My car uses 25" tall tires and 3.73 rear gears. According to the chart, it needs a 39T speedometer gear to keep the speedometer reading correctly with that tire diameter, and rear axle ratio.

Screenshot_20200510-113240_Samsung Internet.jpg

Awesome thanks everyone for the help. Makes much better sense now. One last question. Is there any way to tell what gears I have without opening the rear end? I can tell you that I have a 8 3/4 read end but can’t remember what gears they put in it.

Mark one tire, jack the car up, mark the driveshaft. Turn the driveshaft by hand and count the number of full revolutions and part revolution you have to turn the driveshaft until the tire makes 1 full revolution back to where it started.

In my case 3.73-1 means the driveshaft will make 3.73 turns, to 1 full resolution of the tire.

Hope this helps

-
Back