Speedometer Issues

-

Brettbot

Reaction score
Looking for advice before I go tearing my dash apart:
Currently the old speedo cable is connected to the transmission but disconnected from the back of the gauge. The needle is pointed around 10MPH. I can't spin the cable by hand, so it seems to be engaged in the transmission.
If I put a new cable into the back of the gauge and spin the free end by hand, I can make the needle jump, but it always settles back around 10MPH instead of 0.
I tried to reconnect the old cable and take the car around the block and got no needle movement, but also the clip is broken off the old cable, so it's hard to know whether it was fully seated in the gauge.

Your speedo head needs servicing, it is binding. Remove the cable completely to check it's condition. Wouldn't hurt to remove the drive from the trans to inspect.

Your speedo head needs servicing, it is binding. Remove the cable completely to check it's condition. Wouldn't hurt to remove the drive from the trans to inspect.
So I guess I will need to pull the gauge cluster then. I've never done it, can I pull just the steering wheel to get the cluster out, or do I need to drop the whole steering column?

Edit: Forgot to mention, '73 Dart Swinger.

Last edited:
I agree with Yote, I have a '72 Scamp and it can be done with the column in place but, it is much easier with the column removed.

You may be able to just loosen the yoke bracket and floor plate, let the columd drop a little. Disconnect the battery first, as the amp meter wires hold it pretty good and must be disconnected.

-
Back