Spending less time on FABO

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
This is my little rant. Before I came to FABO, I was restoring a Triumph Spitfire. My forum there was so helpful, and no one had any negativity about your posts or any weird stuff you wanted to do. They were there to help and encourage you any way they could. When I first came to FABO, I felt it was different than that but still very helpful. For the last few months I have been more and more disillusioned with every post I post or read. There is so much infighting among the responders that the original post is soon forgotten as everyone bitches about the other persons reply. It has gotten so bad that I rarely come on this site anymore, and I once used to love coming here. I am regretting my Gold membership and I know I won't renew it. What was once a great, helpful site has, for me anyway, devolved into negative infighting that I can't stand. If I wanted that in my life I'd spend more time with my kids. I know I can't be the only one to feel this way. Is it just me or do we too often get off the subject and pick each other apart?

Jackass.

No, really, I'm just kidding. It's my guess that this site is quite a bit bigger than one for Spitfires, and it's my opinion the incidence of fighting between two people increases at least linearly if not exponentially as the number of two-people increases.

In other words, it's hard to start a fight when you are marooned, alone, on a deserted island.

You can ignore the discord and visit the site, you can ignore it and leave, or you can get involved in it. It's up to you.

That we do. No point of going any further, for it will just get picked apart.....

i see a lot less now than i did a year ago.........

there were threads that were left to run their course

the last chevy in a mopar thread went 9 pages and is still open..........

I hadn't noticed that it's gotten as bad as you say, but thanks for saying something, maybe we can try to stay more positive and helpful.

It'll only get worse come this winter when the cruising season has ended and more people end up on here. People will be people, that's just the way it is. I'm surprised with over 27,000 members there's not a fight a day on here. :violent1:

Stay or go, I choose to stay...... but I try not to post too often and stir the pot with my one-off comments that get taken the wrong way more times than not. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't come across as intended when the electrons hit the screen. :banghead:

Wylde1.

I agree, besides reading the tech info I have pretty much left this site, I think it's just gotten to big, I like FMJO, small group but all friendly, who needs to take crap on line anyway, I don't. Aidos

I think things are better than in the past. Especially in classifieds area.

Generally speaking I think most members here are pretty respectful and helpful.

Most of the rants are in the political forum. Some like talking politics some don't. I for one enjoy it. I still try and be helpful on the hobby when and where I can. Maybe you just need to take a break for a while? I can't answer that for you. But there has and still is alot of knowledge here to be had.

This is my little rant. Before I came to FABO, I was restoring a Triumph Spitfire. My forum there was so helpful, and no one had any negativity about your posts or any weird stuff you wanted to do. They were there to help and encourage you any way they could. When I first came to FABO, I felt it was different than that but still very helpful. For the last few months I have been more and more disillusioned with every post I post or read. There is so much infighting among the responders that the original post is soon forgotten as everyone bitches about the other persons reply. It has gotten so bad that I rarely come on this site anymore, and I once used to love coming here. I am regretting my Gold membership and I know I won't renew it. What was once a great, helpful site has, for me anyway, devolved into negative infighting that I can't stand. If I wanted that in my life I'd spend more time with my kids. I know I can't be the only one to feel this way. Is it just me or do we too often get off the subject and pick each other apart?
No-You are not the only one to feel this way,but this is what you get when you have more people and they form groups/klans to embolden their ideas/opinions on others.We have seen more rules to try to combat this problem and the moderators have steped up to the plate more and more but the root of the problem is still there.

Out of that number how many are regular members?? See a lot of members that have been here for months/years with only a handful of posts.

This is true. It just takes a few that are left unchecked to create a mess. I think the mods do a pretty dang good job of keeping things under control considering how many threads the site has going.

I've been a member for a while with only a few posts.Don't usualy have much to say anyway.I do like reading the post people put up good or bad, and the in fighting can be down right hilarous.I kind of enjoy it.Thanks FABO.

Most of the rants are in the political forum. Some like talking politics some don't. I for one enjoy it. I still try and be helpful on the hobby when and where I can. Maybe you just need to take a break for a while? I can't answer that for you. But there has and still is alot of knowledge here to be had.

I took a break for about 8 months last year because the site was becoming more than I wanted to deal with. It is all what you make out of it and sometimes it is best to shut the lights off and lay back for a while.

I see bitterness and hate in the world and hide from it :toothy9: some times
or throw kindness in the mix :D
just to get a reaction or give another perspective :happy1:
My grandmother always said kill'em with kindness, it works most of the time :cheers:

Nowadays, I'm a "read only" kinda member....unless I'm responding to a PM.

As old as I'm gettin, my time just simply doesn't allow for the stupid stuff anymore.

the last chevy in a mopar thread went 9 pages and is still open..........
Some folks really tried to slaughter that guy.....don't like what some one is doing just move on....don't see me ranting about how much I despise yellow cars, or those goofy colors they used back in the day.....I liken some of this stuff to what I used to call Postal Courage. Postal Courage is simply the ability for some one to say things knowing there is no repercussion, in the PO case the 4 walls keep every one safe as fighting would not be tolerated. Pretty much the same thing here, people spout off knowing they can, no chance of a face to face with anybody. Keyboard commandos, what ever you want to call them. I have not many folks from here, Del & Tom from CDA, Demon Seed aka Terry, Justin and Jeff. And Ryan, the guy building the turbo Duster. All of them were great folks. Kind of people that you could sit down and have a beer with. At least that is what I thought until recently......

Not that my opinion matters but I see so many here without a clue even on changing a light bulb on their own Mopar that its makes me laugh out loud. Purists who spell other car manufactures names like Ferd and Chebby as if all they ever owned were Chrysler products and how they couldn't get to work because their car won't start And Chrysler, a company who for years made so many bad decisions that they were bought and sold by more than one car manufacturer and is now owned by Fiat. How many jokes were produced over the years in regards to Fix It Again Tony :)

I ask a simple question in regards to wheel size on the Signet and get 0 replies yet over 100 views. I personally don't care for a--holes, republicans or christians and although many here have their heads so far up the a-- I am amazed they can even hold a conversation. when will they learn that there is no Chrysler corporation, there is no Mopar and there hasn't been new technology from these people since Zora Argus Duntov the father of the Corvette built the first Hemi which when he joined the ranks of Chrysler in the early 50's saw their engine was just like the one's he build for the Ford Flathead several years prior.

Since StrokerScamp left, there are very few here who have anything of value or even use commonsense when it comes to knowledge.

Happy now?

....don't see me ranting about how much I despise yellow cars, ..

What's wrong with yellow cars??? :cry: LOL!

While I've only been a member for 1 year...I'd say 99.9% of the members have been more than kind and helpful to me. I think everyone has the right to their opinion, and one can choose to be argumentative or simply let stuff go... At the end of the day, I really enjoy my daily FABO sessions...

Pat

Some folks really tried to slaughter that guy.....don't like what some one is doing just move on....don't see me ranting about how much I despise yellow cars, or those goofy colors they used back in the day.....

doug, my comment was by no means a stab at anyone building a car how they want. that was only an example of how things have changed over the last year, and how people are getting along better no matter their interests. i know you remember how fast those kinds of threads were an instant trainwreck. that thread is still open. if you go and re-read my posts in that thread, you will see that i did not tear into anyone for their choices in what they want to do with their own cars.

i happen to own a yellow car, the price was right, and this time next year, it will be black lol

One thing to remember is there is always an ignore list. And that no matter what you may think of yourself, somebody is always going to think you are a jackass....

doug, my comment was by no means a stab at anyone building a car how they want. that was only an example of how things have changed over the last year, and how people are getting along better no matter their interests. i know you remember how fast those kinds of threads were an instant trainwreck. that thread is still open. if you go and re-read my posts in that thread, you will see that i did not tear into anyone for their choices in what they want to do with their own cars.

i happen to own a yellow car, the price was right, and this time next year, it will be black lol
I don't think my comment in regards to that thread was directed at you......if you feel it was so be it.....I think the reason "those kinds" of threads turn into an instant train wreck is just because people can not keep there mouths shut, hence the Postal Courage. I seem to remember some one raising hell in the LS thread about people slamming Mopar. Can't help but wonder why does it matter what any one thinks? Read there comment, and if you do not have anything to contribute, other than to slam someone just MOVE on. Is it that difficult? Why get so fired up over it, for one it is just the internet....and it is just a frigging car.....

-
Back