Spitfire headers

-

jmanis

Reaction score
Wanted to try a set of these headers on my 1964 Plymouth Valiant . I have a 408 stroker motor with Edelbrock Performer Heads. Has anyone tried these headers?? Thanks

I know LilCuda had a set, but I don't know if they went with the Barracuda when he sold it or if he sold them separately or if he still has them...

I don't think the Spitfires are sufficient enough for a hot 340 or 360, much less a 408.

JMO.

If you are talking about those headers made by "Harold" in Washington state, I recall that they were 1 1/2" diameter and not full length. The guy made decent stuff but was a small operation and he was really slow to fill orders.
TTI did offer a set for the early A chassis. They are the industry leader in headers and are not cheap but they do fit and last a long time.

Laysons offers the Spitfires now, but of course like everything at Laysons, they ain't cheap.

Laysons business model is like the opposite of Harbor Freight: Quality stuff at wallet draining prices.

I just looked at their site. Those look just like what I remembered. Why are there no collectors? They show gaskets but the collectors are not welded to the header outlets. What did they save by NOT putting them on? 3 bucks a set?
They are surely better than the standard A body 273/318 manifolds.

I just fitted a set of Dougs to my 63' Dart 408. P I A to fit, its so tight in there! but once on, seem to be ok, not been to the track yet.
Also cost me nearly £1000gbp landed!!!!!

I just looked at their site. Those look just like what I remembered. Why are there no collectors? They show gaskets but the collectors are not welded to the header outlets. What did they save by NOT putting them on? 3 bucks a set?
They are surely better than the standard A body 273/318 manifolds.

The flanges have been left loose for a reason. We left them loose so that the user can "clock" the flanges whichever way they might need to in order to provide clearance around shifting linkages and clutch linkages. It also provides the opportunity to shorten or lengthen the collector to optimize the fitment without having to cut anything apart in order to do it.

Yup, remember these cars are all a little different. A little different plus really tight means one collector position for all might not work. That part was a good idea.

The flanges have been left loose for a reason. We left them loose so that the user can "clock" the flanges whichever way they might need to in order to provide clearance around shifting linkages and clutch linkages. It also provides the opportunity to shorten or lengthen the collector to optimize the fitment without having to cut anything apart in order to do it.

Do you have any in stock, and if not, what is the expected delivery date..?

We have both styles in stock here in our warehouse today.

The HS-22 are for cars where an engine mount conversion kit is NOT used.

The HS-22MOD are for cars that DO use an engine mount conversion kit

if i remember correctly the eddy heads won't allow spitfires.. they hit somewhere.. better off with a set of full length like dougs or tti,

Wish you could get TTI headpipes unwelded...They got angry when I told them that the B-body headpipes nearly fit a big block A-body with B-body manifolds...

Wanted to try a set of these headers on my 1964 Plymouth Valiant . I have a 408 stroker motor with Edelbrock Performer Heads. Has anyone tried these headers?? Thanks
First off, welcome to FABO!! Second, if You click on the early A-body forum and look aaalllllll the way up top, there's this sticky thread..........lol.

I've been running Spitfire headers on my Cuda for at least the last 15 years! I got one of the first sets from Harold, my racing friend allowed Harold to use her car as the test bed while he was working out the kinks! I paid $188 shipped and got them in about 3 days! Harold wasn't located in Washington state, as I recall he was somewhere in Kentucky! Anyway, they flow pretty well, not sure they could handle the HP flow requirements of a striker motor, but they'll be going on my hot 340

Talk about a success story: Harold tapped a niche that no one could touch, and for less than $200 shipped! Orders swamped him, work got crazy and the lead time went through the roof, people got mad and he ended up having a shop accident. I think it just wore him out so he sold out. Now we got the same design header, but a different supply chain.

Talk about a success story: Harold tapped a niche that no one could touch, and for less than $200 shipped! Orders swamped him, work got crazy and the lead time went through the roof, people got mad and he ended up having a shop accident. I think it just wore him out so he sold out. Now we got the same design header, but a different supply chain.

...and at bend you over pricing.

-
Back