Spool mount rubbers

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I have some C body spool mounts that may need the rubbers changed im guessing these are a press out and press back in kinda deal? Also they didnt come with hardware will Grade 8 be ok?

The aftermarket replacement isolators are junk (as are ALL parts store mounts these days), but they are available in poly. For the parts store mounts you need to bend the outer shell to clear the bracket when you press it out. The poly mounts replace just the rubber and steel tube.

The aftermarket replacement isolators are junk (as are ALL parts store mounts these days), but they are available in poly. For the parts store mounts you need to bend the outer shell to clear the bracket when you press it out. The poly mounts replace just the rubber and steel tube.

I was going to mention that about the shell of the new bushing when I saw this.
It's the edge of the outer steel shell that they kinda flare over to keep the bushing in the mount.
I didn't press mine, just tapped the flared part back in and knocked out the bushing with a hammer.
Then flared the edge after the new ones were in.
You can kind of see it right here.

These are not mine by the way (Nasty)

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 132
I changed a set a few years ago with moog parts store replacement insulators , they just slide into the brackets, the originals were bent over on the end to retain them, I put some spot welds on to hold them. Within a year the made in India crap was completely screwed and the engine had settled significantly. I would recommend getting poly inserts for sure.

I got a set of the poly inserts for my 74 Duster. They went into the spool ok, but they were real snug going into the frame ears. I would suggest test fitting the poly mount to ears before bolting to engine. I remember now that I had to trim a little poly from the inside face where it mated to the metal sleeve to get the width right.

-
Back