Spot Welder?

-

gzig5

Reaction score
Anyone using a spot welder like the Harbor Freight unit or something similar? I'm about to do full quarters, tail panel, trunk drops, and a roof skin on my E-body and I'm curious if one of these hobby type machines is worth it? Will be somewhat limited for what it can reach compared to a bigger machine but might be better than plug welding in some areas? There's a used 120V machine near me or I could get a new 240V machine at HF the next time they send a 25% coupon.

I've used all types and I own a HF 220. Keep ur contacts clean and the HF does a reasonably good job. I think truly commercial machines (ie, Miller) do a consistently better job but, for the money...

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend the HF 120V. Although it does weld, mine tends to trip the 20-amp breaker in 5 or 6 welds and it's the only draw on it. Lol, kinda' slows things down a bit.

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend the HF 120V. Although it does weld, mine tends to trip the 20-amp breaker in 5 or 6 welds and it's the only draw on it. Lol, kinda' slows things down a bit.
Were you running it of a small wire or long extension cord? It pulls about 14 amps so that is going to create a bit of a voltage drop through a common 16ga cord. If so, I'd run it on a 12ga cord to eliminate the voltage drop.

I guess if I have a choice I'd definitely go with the 220V for $10 more. They weigh the same and I have 220 all over the garage. I'd love to find a used Miller but every time i see them, they are more $$ than I can justify.

New 12ga circuit and 20 amp QO on 100 amp service. Direct plug in.

I use my old school 220v Miller on a regular basis. You used to be able to find them on ebay for next to nothing but not anymore. Had to break out the big 18" tongs the other day to do some inner fenders.
Im thinking about getting a harbor freight one because the miller is so damn heavy. It will literally leave you winded after a half dozen spot welds. I will have to weigh it and see if the HF one is lighter. HF lists theirs at 29 lbs so its not a lightweight either.
I also have a Lenco spot welder like this one linked below. I use it mostly for specialized places like drip rails and places you cant use a traditional spot welder. The dent pulling attachment for it is awesome.
Lenco Spot

Last edited:
I’ve got the 240vac Miller spot welder. Many types of tips to accommodate around stuff

Lenco L4000 is what we have . We have an older blue one and a newer red one. These are about the best that I have seen for the money. We bought the last one used for $125. You always see them at auctions and usually sell cheap. They usually sold for over $1200 - $1500 new but they sell for much less used with missing or worn tips. The tips set is only $30. These welders are small but very heavy and on wheels.

There are places where you can use a portable pinch spot welder. This style is what I use anywhere possible. The lenco is used where the pinch style won't reach. But you can use the lenco everywhere.

1664933550543.png

Anyone using a spot welder like the Harbor Freight unit or something similar? I'm about to do full quarters, tail panel, trunk drops, and a roof skin on my E-body and I'm curious if one of these hobby type machines is worth it? Will be somewhat limited for what it can reach compared to a bigger machine but might be better than plug welding in some areas? There's a used 120V machine near me or I could get a new 240V machine at HF the next time they send a 25% coupon.
Ive used the one from harbor freight for a few quarters. I have 120v. Works real nice. The only place i couldnt use it was the door jamb & sail panel. I also just bought the type like 6pakbee has. Havent had the chance to use it on any thing yet. Did some testing & it doesnt like thin metal. Have to play with it some more.

008.JPG

012.JPG

136.JPG

-
Back