Spreadbore Carb Choices for 318

-

Eworth

Reaction score
Well, I started a thread the other day looking for a carb. Well, I find out that the intake manifold on the engine is a Performer but it is for a Spreadbore Carb.

One option is the Demon 1900 which is 625 cfm. But Bouchillon sp? isn't a fan.

What choices of spreadbore carbs are there? Recommendations? This is for a 318, bored 30 over, mild cam and the intake manifold listed. Has exhaust manifolds, not headers. Will not be drag raced. Street driving and gettin' on it a little bit every once in a while.

PLEASE? What can I choose from.
(Preferably vacuum secondaries /electric choke)

Is there a place to buy a QUALITY rebuilt? Don't have time to tinker with one. Where would I go ?

Thermoquad or Quadra-Jet, any size. Maybe a Street Demon, although I don't have first hand experience with one, it looks interesting. PM Rusty Rat Rod to do one for you, it would probably be the cheapest and best solution.

Any carb will work on there except a Dominator. LOL!

The spreadbore choices are;
A stock ThermoQuad or the electric choke version.
A Rochester quadrajet.
A Holley spreadbore. (Normally seen as a 650 cfm carb.)

The Demon is actually a carb that can be mounted on a sauarebore intake without issue because the secondary side isn't super wide like the TQ or QJ.

The problem with spreadbore carbs are small except the TQ for it's hard to find tuning parts.

If you've ever heard a TQ at WOT, you wouldn't be asking. They can be difficult to dial in due to lack of aftermarket support. But once they're right they are awesome, and they have that unforgettable moan, that even if your engine isn't that powerful, it sure sounds it! And the QJ isn't that far behind.
If I was buying,and my engine had reasonable low-rpm vacuum,(such as yours), I would be very interested in spreadbores.

harmsauto does rest work. Really excellent work.

-
Back