Spring eye question

-

HemiDenny

HDK Suspension
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I do not have any of the leaf springs with the smaller front eyes bolt (1/2") to compare......but is the OUTSIDE DIAMETER of the leaf spring eye smaller or the same OD as the larger bolt (5/8") front spring eye.

If you have the leaf spring with the smaller id ( 1/2").....can you give me a approximate measurement ? I assume it would be slightly smaller, but that can get me in trouble.

Thanks,
Denny

Last edited:
The outside diameter appears to be 2 3/8", and the inside diameter of the eye is about 1 7/8"!

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

cosgig is showing you the 2" front eye, which came stock w/the 5/8" eyebolt. The stock 1 1/2" eye springs came w/7/16" eyebolts, and are 1 7/8"OD-1 1/2"ID. I just swapped
in ESPO's 6leaf-2" drop units, 1 1/2" eye w/the 5/8" eyebolts. The leaves are .265" vs the .235" stk. thickness, and the OD is just over 2"(hard to measure installed w/the hangers flipped), hope that helps......

so....the diameter is about 1/2" less , about 1/4" on radius on the older / smaller eye springs.

last question....what would they have come on ? (yr / model).....anyone have set of the smaller eye leaves to sell?

thanks guys.....I appreciate the quick responses

Last edited:
Not 100% certain, but I believe early A ('66 and down), also '62-'63 "B" body used the same 20"/35" segment 55" leaf. My 52yr. old mainleaf had a hairline crack running
right through the center-bolt, the perfect reason for an upgrade to newer and better!Total on My new pair w/shackle bushings, eye bolts(5/8"), & fitted with the larger bolt eye
bushings was $347 shipped! Tad further to You from Danville PA, but not too far. I stayed w/rubber eye bushings, the 5/8" sleeve is much thicker than the OE, so it is beyond
just the diff in bolt dia. ..... read a lot less rubber to give. Also the bushing is a higher durometer unit to boot, there will be much less movement there.

Affirmative, they had stock, approx. 1", and 2" drop sets available. They may also have increased ht. options, but I was interested in lowering so.... pretty much any option
eye bolt, leaf count combo etc.........800-903-9019.......see if they've got what your lookin' for. Turn-around about wk.&1/2 for mine.

I just installed espos with stock height and an extra leaf for higher spring rate, the bigger eye bolt, that i used a 1" lowering bracket with. i had them give me new shackles and bushings as well. the quality is amazing and the stance is perfect. i had to drill out the eye bolt slot a tiny bit for the bigger bolt to fit.

FYI do not get springs from the dumb asses at Eaton Spring in Detroit Mi. !

10-4....been there, done that....off my list too.

I thought they were decent people that had experience at what they do they have a nice web-site.They are a F'N joke.
They built my rear springs too long and figure it is my fault because I moved my springs inboard. Oh and because I used a bolt in the lower shackle I sent pictures which showed clearly the situation and they just wouldn't accept that they built the spring pack wrong.
It cost me $550 for the springs and they said they would be happy to redo them with new main leafs shorter for another $250. I told them they could go F--- themselves. I'll let my credit card company deal with them.

023.jpg

I thought they were decent people that had experience at what they do they have a nice web-site.They are a F'N joke.
They built my rear springs too long and figure it is my fault because I moved my springs inboard. Oh and because I used a bolt in the lower shackle I sent pictures which showed clearly the situation and they just wouldn't accept that they built the spring pack wrong.
It cost me $550 for the springs and they said they would be happy to redo them with new main leafs shorter for another $250. I told them they could go F--- themselves. I'll let my credit card company deal with them.

View attachment 1714990772
What length did you tell them vs. what they sent? Stock? For a stock length, You do have the shackle upper mount forward a good bit(appears 1 or + inches)from the stock
position,this causes the rear eye to rotate up closer to the frame. It appears the eye is close to where a stk.(55")main would be flat w/no arch, but raised up in the body, the
shackles & eye can interfere w/the box and in your case the eye directly to the frame. You did a great looking job on your ride BTW, slightly longer shackles might give You
just enough if those leaves are almost flat there, and the car only increases in height about 45% of the amt. the rear eye drops.

What length did you tell them vs. what they sent? Stock? For a stock length, You do have the shackle upper mount forward a good bit(appears 1 or + inches)from the stock
position,this causes the rear eye to rotate up closer to the frame. It appears the eye is close to where a stk.(55")main would be flat w/no arch, but raised up in the body, the
shackles & eye can interfere w/the box and in your case the eye directly to the frame. You did a great looking job on your ride BTW, slightly longer shackles might give You
just enough if those leaves are almost flat there, and the car only increases in height about 45% of the amt. the rear eye drops.

I'll start with what I ordered which was rear springs for a '70 Dart. I also chose two of their options (1) spring pin moved rearward 1" which seems to be correct. (2) 2" lowered ride height. To determine overall spring length in my opinion would be determined by how they accomplish the lowered ride height.
They lower the ride height by flattening the spring pack some suppliers put a bend in the spring at the eye locations. As you mentioned a flattened out stock spring they will put the rear shackle angle at a very compromised angle and the side arm can hit the same spot mine does.The upper rear shackle position is not moved forward or up at all. The hole lines up with the hole in a stock bracket if it was mounted. If you look at the picture the shackle side arm is contacting the intersection point of the main frame rail and the frame support for the rear spring bracket. IF you were to move the top hole for the shackle the shackle side arm will just get tighter to the problem area because the spring eye isn't able to go anywhere other than towards the rear of the car. If you lowered the top hole it would give some clearance between the spring eye and the frame and slightly raise the ride height.
With the rear spring eye tight against the bottom of the frame rail what the real ride height is would only be known when (1) engine/trans are installed in car and (2) if the shackles were removed to let spring move more IF they would as now they are being held at the point they are in by the shackles. The car is at the ride height I was hoping for already so time will tell as to the actual ride height will be.

Ok, it could be the angle and all that shiny paint, the shackle mount bushing centerline on brackets I've measured are around 1 7/16" from the box face. It looks much farther fwd.
in that photo, and from a functional/dynamic stand-point, it is better than close to straight up as mine were. I did not move the springs in, but flipped the frt. hangers and fabbed a
couple of shackle mounts that moved the bushings up 15/16" & forward 3/16", the shackles are tight with the spring jacked up near flat. If I have to, I'll massage/whittle a little
clearance. Yeah, some companies make the main-leaf w/the eyes rolled down under, lifting the leaf the dia. of the eye minus the leaf thickness. At some point, I will be removing
the shackles and putting sliders in, but these will do temporarily.

Ok, it could be the angle and all that shiny paint, the shackle mount bushing centerline on brackets I've measured are around 1 7/16" from the box face. It looks much farther fwd.
in that photo, and from a functional/dynamic stand-point, it is better than close to straight up as mine were. I did not move the springs in, but flipped the frt. hangers and fabbed a
couple of shackle mounts that moved the bushings up 15/16" & forward 3/16", the shackles are tight with the spring jacked up near flat. If I have to, I'll massage/whittle a little
clearance. Yeah, some companies make the main-leaf w/the eyes rolled down under, lifting the leaf the dia. of the eye minus the leaf thickness. At some point, I will be removing
the shackles and putting sliders in, but these will do temporarily.

I have sliders on my '69 with Caltracks which worked out nice and might have been a better choice but I wanted more of a stock look on this car. If they had just made the main leafs an 1 1/2" shorter to compensate for a flat spring pack all would have been good.
The point I was making from the beginning was about the situation I had with Eaton Spring and how they treated me after the sale and when unfortunately there was an issue and that they would only correct the issue at an extra cost.
They have a nice web-site and sound nice on the phone BUT if there is an issue be prepared they will not let it be their issue. My conclusion they are arrogant F--n asses!

I guess the problem here is there was a lack of communication at the get go. They didn't ask enough detail questions to know that the stock 55" mainleaf would not work, which
is not a problem w/mounting on the stock hangers, to avoid this situation. Now they have an unhappy customer, and an unfriendly reputation. They should've made at least some
meet you halfway offer, and took the lesson to be more thorough next time. If they had asked for exact distance c to c of the frt eye/upper shackle, and the length of the shackles,
then the clearance needed under the upper shackle bushing they could've determined what was needed. I can't tell You how many places I refuse to patronize because of the way I
was treated on the phone in professional situations. Some companies just don't seem to get it.

I guess the problem here is there was a lack of communication at the get go. They didn't ask enough detail questions to know that the stock 55" mainleaf would not work, which
is not a problem w/mounting on the stock hangers, to avoid this situation. Now they have an unhappy customer, and an unfriendly reputation. They should've made at least some
meet you halfway offer, and took the lesson to be more thorough next time. If they had asked for exact distance c to c of the frt eye/upper shackle, and the length of the shackles,
then the clearance needed under the upper shackle bushing they could've determined what was needed. I can't tell You how many places I refuse to patronize because of the way I
was treated on the phone in professional situations. Some companies just don't seem to get it.

I agree there are a lot of business people that have no communication skills. When I placed the order I was told they do not use the measurement from front eye mount to rear.....and I know how that worked. So for now I'll have to wait and see what the conclusion will be.

-
Back