Spring Fling 35 Apr 15 & 16, 2023 Van Nuys CA -info & roll call

-
I agree with the comments, Jim. No fault to the car club but the terrain there can be rough. I get around fine but the guy with me has some trouble on flat ground even when he is sober.
The swap was pretty good in size but there just wasn't anything that I could use. I brought plenty of cash but couldn't find what I needed for my projects. I specifically drove my truck instead of my car. Again, no fault of the car club.
I did get to talk with plenty of nice Mopar people. That is always worth the trip.

I had a grand in my pocket. I bought a hat and 2 bacon wrapped hot dogs. LOL. I had great time though.

swap was a little weird. it seemed light, but maybe that was just the spot i was in? i saw a lot of people rolling with big ticket stuff like e-body grilles, b-body chrome, some dashes and gauge setups. lots of people asking on parts and not countering, and virtually nobody buying little 5~10 bits and bobs. mostly people just cruising and eyeballing.

i'm not complaining, sold all three motors i took and a big chunk of other stuff. got to catch up with a bunch of people and shoot the breeze. good day all around!

can't wait for fall!

MOPAR SPRING FLING WOODLEY PARK 2023 part1 WINGED WARRIORS​

swap was a little weird. it seemed light, but maybe that was just the spot i was in? i saw a lot of people rolling with big ticket stuff like e-body grilles, b-body chrome, some dashes and gauge setups. lots of people asking on parts and not countering, and virtually nobody buying little 5~10 bits and bobs. mostly people just cruising and eyeballing.

i'm not complaining, sold all three motors i took and a big chunk of other stuff. got to catch up with a bunch of people and shoot the breeze. good day all around!

can't wait for fall!
I had a swap full of quality stuff at LOW prices, basically sold nothing.

Alan

can't wait for fall!
There are some lazy sellers....
I saw some Dudes that bring a trailer with boxes of dirty stuff, they don't spread the parts out anywhere, don't put price tags on anything either.
Most people are pretty good about making an effort to properly display their parts.
I was looking for a decent rear seat for a Duster along with a carpet kit.
Nothing.
I needed an ash tray for a '70 Charger.
Nothing.
Last Spring there was a guy with two '70 Charger grilles that needed work. I drove a car so I didn't buy. This time?
Nothing.
It is weird to see so many sellers putting out parts to cars that I don't own with parts that I didn't need.
I still enjoyed browsing the swap.

I had a swap full of quality stuff at LOW prices, basically sold nothing.

Alan
what, nate didn't buy you out? LOL!

good thing i didn't swing by i woulda bought a bunch of stuff i didn't need! nah, just kidding. sorry i missed you man, it woulda been cool to catch up.

There are some lazy sellers....
I saw some Dudes that bring a trailer with boxes of dirty stuff, they don't spread the parts out anywhere, don't put price tags on anything either.
Most people are pretty good about making an effort to properly display their parts.
hey, hey, the grease is a protective coating; that's how you know it's the good stuff!

grungy parts aside, all my junk was out on display and most of it tagged. it just seemed like people were speed running the swap spaces all around, a cursory look as they motored by.

We had a great weekend, thanks for all the work that all the CPW club members did to put on such a great event!

My whole goal was to simply put my dad's Demon in the show, hearing my dad's name (Mike Furtado) called for a 3rd place plaque was some serious icing on the cake for me. I'm sure he'd have been proud.

Having never been more than a spectator at a car show, I wasn't sure how it would go... I generally wouldn't consider myself a very social person so I get a bit nervous talking to new people (but as a few found out, it's hard to shut me up once I do get going!) but it seemed like every single person who stopped by opened up like we were old friends/family and shared stories with me. Not one "my cousin/uncle/brother had a Nova just like this, but with a small block hemi LS 454 Cleveland bored to a 900 and factory nitrous... oh, but it was actually a Mustang" comment was heard!

I was impressed by the amount of people, both young and old, that could walk up and decode most any car at the show, they've clearly been playing the Mopar Jeopardy home edition. The #1 thing I kept hearing about my car was how oddball the orange interior was, I guess since I grew up with the car, it just seemed normal to me? I am a walking encyclopedia for a small handful of things, but I'm not ashamed to admit that Mopars aren't at the top of that list.

With so many beatiful cars there, I didn't even get around to all of them. I guess I'm looking at them with a different mindset than I was in all the years I'd been going with my dad.

With the car back in the garage, it's time to shift gears and start getting the Demon ready for running down the dragstrip to get my dad his 12.98 (or better) time slip. It may take some time, but I'm going to make sure that happens!

We had a great weekend, thanks for all the work that all the CPW club members did to put on such a great event!

My whole goal was to simply put my dad's Demon in the show, hearing my dad's name (Mike Furtado) called for a 3rd place plaque was some serious icing on the cake for me. I'm sure he'd have been proud.

Having never been more than a spectator at a car show, I wasn't sure how it would go... I generally wouldn't consider myself a very social person so I get a bit nervous talking to new people (but as a few found out, it's hard to shut me up once I do get going!) but it seemed like every single person who stopped by opened up like we were old friends/family and shared stories with me. Not one "my cousin/uncle/brother had a Nova just like this, but with a small block hemi LS 454 Cleveland bored to a 900 and factory nitrous... oh, but it was actually a Mustang" comment was heard!

I was impressed by the amount of people, both young and old, that could walk up and decode most any car at the show, they've clearly been playing the Mopar Jeopardy home edition. The #1 thing I kept hearing about my car was how oddball the orange interior was, I guess since I grew up with the car, it just seemed normal to me? I am a walking encyclopedia for a small handful of things, but I'm not ashamed to admit that Mopars aren't at the top of that list.

With so many beatiful cars there, I didn't even get around to all of them. I guess I'm looking at them with a different mindset than I was in all the years I'd been going with my dad.

With the car back in the garage, it's time to shift gears and start getting the Demon ready for running down the dragstrip to get my dad his 12.98 (or better) time slip. It may take some time, but I'm going to make sure that happens!

Doesn’t get any better than this story.

i loved seeing your demon. it looks great. the orange interior is very cool for sure. the other orange demon was cool with the fold back sunroof as well but those people take "car show" too seriously. glad you brought yours. Your story is very touching and the car looks great. Your dad i am sure was smiling down on you.

i was there for the swap meet (24hr drive one way) i bought a few things but mostly ill just resell them to pay for some of the trip. i did get a nice restorable set of 71 340 valve covers for $20. i was surprised how dead sunday was in the swap. never seen it die out that quickly on sunday. had fun. thanks for the great work CPW.

I was surprised how dead sunday was in the swap. never seen it die out that quickly on sunday. had fun. thanks for the great work CPW.
I left on Saturday. The swap meet on Sunday is often about half of the turnout that Saturday is.
Pictures from Saturday:

SF 23 G.JPG

SF 23 H.JPG

I was tempted by these dropped spindles.....

SF 23 I.JPG

Who has seen a radio delete 72-78 truck??

SF 23 J.JPG

I was there Saturday, and saw a lot of good stuff at the swap meet. Main scores I picked up were both from the same guy, a new 4 speed a body transmission from brewers for $800 and a set of polished American racing 15x8 wheels for $200.

820A614E-766A-496A-8A3D-62B5A85232ED.jpeg

2A72F2BB-C09D-4BEC-9D06-67F3B6686B2A.jpeg

I was there Saturday, and saw a lot of good stuff at the swap meet. Main scores I picked up were both from the same guy, a new 4 speed a body transmission from brewers for $800 and a set of polished American racing 15x8 wheels for $200.

View attachment 1716079437

View attachment 1716079438

I thought that guy was asking much more than $800 for that?

What was his first asking price?

I guess I’ll go into some detail about the fling for me this year. Started with waking up at 4am to hook up the trailer, had the car loaded the night before and I slept for 3 whole hours. My dad, brother, and uncle all met at my place and we all towed our junk out there. To be honest, it wasn’t even the show I was excited about this year. It’s the first time my dad, brother, and myself all had our cars there at the same time. My uncle bringing his dart from Arizona was just a bonus. I didn’t walk the swap at all, met some new people, caught up with a ton of old friends and tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible. One major thing that stood out for me was the picture I got, it’s not much but when you can fire your garbage up and hopefully inspire the next generation it’s a pretty good feeling. Since I got asked a bunch of times on Saturday, no, I have no immediate plans to paint it anytime soon.

DC478422-4A0D-4379-9765-272182C4B579.png

View attachment 1716079437

View attachment 1716079438
This Spring Fling had great attendance and mucho winged cars. Regarding the swap meet, never know what U may find... Kool U got the Torque-Thrust wheels... Last year @ the Fling had a swap spot and tried to sell a pair of USA-made 15x8 Torque Thrust wheels with a new set of Hoosiers street slicks, got little attention only offer was $50?? :rolleyes: Said no thanx.. Came home put them on Craig's list, got 35 phone calls sold them for $400 cash the 1st day guy drove out 50 miles to pick them up.. Just have to connect with the rite person..

Just my $0.02... :)

I did buy one thing, what appears to be an NOS pair of 74-78 big block motor mounts for $45. For years I ignored the mounts at swap meets, but now with them getting harder to find I'll take a deal...

-
Back