Spyware/Malware download

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good FREE spyware/malware download that works well? Thank you drive through.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

and

Super Anti-Spyware

together are a good place to start.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

and

Super Anti-Spyware

together are a good place to start.

Excellent choices Duster.

I have links for you for both programs on my website so you don't have to wade through all the BS to get the free versions.
I'll verify the links and post them for you in a few Rob.

Keep in mind that both of these programs need to be updated regularly (once a week or so is good)

Superantispyware loads on startup and runs in the background but can be changed to not run on startup by right clicking it's icon in the system tray.

Here ya go. (Malwarebytes)
http://www.letsgocomputers.com/programs/mbam.exe

and Superantispyware
http://www.letsgocomputers.com/programs/superantispyware.exe

Mind if I ask what is happening to cause you to ask?

Avast seems to be pretty stable and it updates on a regular basis.

Ian.

I have links for you for both programs on my website so you don't have to wade through all the BS to get the free versions.

Keep in mind that both of these programs need to be updated regularly (once a week or so is good)

Superantispyware loads on startup and runs in the background but can be changed to not run on startup by right clicking it's icon in the system tray.

and Superantispyware

Laptop is running slow. Pages freeze up and such.

Avast seems to be pretty stable and it updates on a regular basis.

Ian.

Thanks Ian. I have avast, but it doesn't do spyware and such. Just viruses.

Rob I use CCleaner too, it gets rid of your stored internet crap and it has a registry cleaner that helps as well, and its free give that one a try too, since you said your system is slow you could have registry errors CCleaner will help that as well.

I appreciate it but wouldn't neither one of them links work for me.

and Superantispyware

Thanks Ian. I have avast, but it doesn't do spyware and such. Just viruses.

Oops. Spybot then...malwarebytes is good as well..

Depending on the o/s of your computer, this works well.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/index.html

Just as a note, bugs can hide themselves pretty well. I like to use a package that doesn't live on your hard drive or will boot your computer and scan before all drivers are loaded.

As well, there is not one package that does all. I use several at different times.

lastly, you tend to pick up fewer bugs if you are running firefox then chrome or IE. Not sure why but when I changed over, infections went down as well.

One more thing...I find that windoz is happier if i reformat /re install every 18 months or so..

ian.

Well, I give the hell slam up. Screw it. I cannot get the links to open. I went to the parent sites of each and tried a direct download. I get the download window and then my computer pops a window up askin me what program I wanna use to open it with. It's never done that. It always used to automatically open them. I have no clue what to open them with and when I select one, I just go into a loop of downloading it all over again. F#$k it.

Rob you got something nasty on your harddrive, you have anyone near that can look at it for you?? the best way is for the hard drive to come out and have it scanned on a different pc that is not using it as a boot drive like it is when it's in your pc, is this a laptop??

Rod,

Too bad you are not closer...I understand your frustration. You would think that after all these years..everything should work properly...

Got any computer nerd buddies ?

ian.

Rob you got something nasty on your harddrive, you have anyone near that can look at it for you?? the best way is for the hard drive to come out and have it scanned on a different pc that is not using it as a boot drive like it is when it's in your pc, is this a laptop??

Yep, that's a nasty one.
It's going to take someone who knows what they are doing for that one.
When you said the links don't work I knew somthing was up, cause I know they do.

You just might get lucky and use Safemode with networking to get something downloaded but it sounds as if it has already screwed up your file associations.
This is very likely a Root kit infection, and those are a little trickier than most to remove unless you do it for a living.

That sucks.

I don't have another one that will go online, no. Why would I want to move things? Are you sayin this one is dead?

I don't have another one that will go online, no. Why would I want to move things? Are you sayin this one is dead?

Right now for all intents and purposes yes. (the OS anyway)
It just a matter of time till that infection trashes the OS.

There are tools though, and resources that could help it get cleaned up but one of the points of those infections is to make the computer unable to get the tools needed to fix it.

NPE.exe (Norton Power Eraser) for example is a very powerful little tool for Rootkit infections (which I believe you now have) but you have to be able to download it and get it to run (which your computer wont do) because it's asking what to run things with. (The infection did that to it)

exe files can be renamed with a .com extension to fool the infection into allowing it to run.
So for example malwarebytes.exe can be renamed to malwarebytes.com and it may then run.
.exe and .com files both work about the same way in Windows and the infection was not designed to stop .com files because the average user does not know any of this so they didn't bother writing the virus to kill it.

I can post a link to NPE.exe but rename it NPE.com before I upload it.
Maybe you can right click the link and choose "Save As" and then download it to your desktop and run it with a double click.

It may very well work and save your bacon to the point where Malwarebytes can run and finish it up.

Here, right click and save this, then run it
http://www.letsgocomputers.com/programs/NPE.com

Well, I give the hell slam up. Screw it. I cannot get the links to open. I went to the parent sites of each and tried a direct download. I get the download window and then my computer pops a window up askin me what program I wanna use to open it with. It's never done that. It always used to automatically open them. I have no clue what to open them with and when I select one, I just go into a loop of downloading it all over again. F#$k it.

Go to majorgeeks.com get it directly from there,
They also give other optional download sites.

Go to majorgeeks.com get it directly from there,
They also give other optional download sites.

Won't help, since the infection has damaged the file associations all download link will act the same.

OK, look. I don't use Winhozed much anymore so I'm not up on all the tools

I'm "just talkin" here, so how 'bout this?'

We get Rob to itemize what he has for computers.

We find out if he can yank the hard drive out of the infected computer and do one of two things:

Either temporarily slave it into a second computer, or get one of the little hard drive dongles.

Then one you you guys download the "tools" he probly needs, mail him a CD, and he can install various tools in the "good machine" and use it to scan the hard drive as connected?

Linux, with that said first question is what is on your computer that is of value to you? A lot of pictures? Videos of family? If you answered yes then you really need to try and save them, if you do not already, and this won't help you now but look into cloud backup, several places offer decent space for free.

First thing I would try is a different internet browser, give chrome a shot, you can install it with out having to actually download a traditional exe, it can be ran from with in internet explorer which I am thinking your using? Also it sandboxes itself, sometimes you can pick up nasty things that are targeting just your browser. If no go then we can keep trying...

Most computers can boot of a flash drive, do you have one that's at least a gig? If you do, and have access to another computer with internet you can download a version of Linux and boot to it from your computer, you can then retrieve your important files and go from there in terms of just wiping it and reinstalling windows, or Linux if you wanted to try it out, if you have a flash drive and would like some help I would be happy to walk you through it on the phone.

-
Back