srt 10 truck engine

-
If you have a shop and a hoist, plus all the nice tools, the "clean and wondrous" shop install is a nice thing.
Myself, I do this stuff outside, in the elements, with dirt, grass and leaves all around me.
I have basic amenities of a torch, grinder and a wire welder, but that's about it.
Doing it the rough and tough way would be the only way I could even afford to think about doing this type of re-work.

Don't tempt me into doing it, because it looks more possible than I figured it would.

I actually bought the v-10 because it's damned near a direct bolt in for a pre-'94 Dodge shortbed 1/2 ton, especially since there are a certain model/year of factory mounts out there to do it.
The same mounts would be modifiable to shoehorn it into an A body, I think.

No, it's not happening, not by my hands, anyway. :)

Mark.

Mark,

Unless I am looking at your pic wrong it is a rear sump pan. If that is the case then it just might clear the steering linkage. I would be awful tempted to install it with a motor plate instead of the mounts as that would free up a little more space down the sides. That might be important seeing where the exhaust dumps out.

Jack

Jack,
I was just outside, with a tape measure, comparing the width of the v-10, with stock manifolds, as compared to a 360 Magnum with manifolds.
The v-10's driver's side manifold outlet actually tucks inward just a bit more than the v-8 one does.
Now, I know the v-8 magnum manifold will clear the column just fine at the outlet end, from having done a Magnum swap into a '68 Dart a few years ago.
The only reason I couldn't use the v-8 Magnum manifold was because the manifold has a goofy bump in it, about where the center 2 ports drop into, that dropped down into the power steering box, which is what I wanted to use.
It would have cleared a manual box okay.
Also, the v-10 manifolds appear to have a lower external profile, so they more than likely will clear the fender wells at the widest point.

The stock v-10 oil pan definitely will not work, unless a front steer R&P is used, or build a center sump pan and pick-up, which wouldn't be a bad thing to build, since the v-10 is a skirted block.

The biggest issue that stands out is that the manifold outlets probably won't allow the engine to be set back much more than an inch before firewall clearance becomes an issue.
I recall seeing some v-10 headers on Ebay that might lend themselves to some minor tweaking in that area.

Finally, the k-member-to-pan clearance may need to be adjusted, which brings my doubts about hood clearance even more into view, but it doesn't look anywhere near what a low scoop, possibly even a '73-'76 duster type, can't cover up.

If this seems like a lot of finagling, it is.
The 360 Magnum and 4 speed into the '68 Dart, with all the EFI components, was no cake walk, but it basically bolted in, whereas this definitely works the realms of streetrodder ingenuity and plain out bullheaded not taking "NO" for an answer.

Mark.

I am the kind of person that doesn't take "That can't be done", as an answer. All I would need is another A-body and the V-10 setup to try it. LOL

Jack

I suppose it's up to me to do it, since I do have the engine and access to the parts. :(

Looking into procuring an '89-'91 727 Diesel trans., as I type.
Anyone here that has even a dead core one?

I technically have the Duster sold, but I can use just about any old A body from '67-'76 as a platform, even a clapped out 4 door with no clip would work.

I just sold the 2 magnum 360s that I had in the way, so my concrete work area, where my engine hoist rolls best, is about 3/4 cleared, a big sign of progress!!!

Mark.

I suppose it's up to me to do it, since I do have the engine and access to the parts. :(

I technically have the Duster sold, but I can use just about any old A body from '67-'76 as a platform, even a clapped out 4 door with no clip would work.

I just sold the 2 magnum 360s that I had in the way, so my concrete work area, where my engine hoist rolls best, is about 3/4 cleared, a big sign of progress!!!

Mark.

Mark if you do it,your fuckingggg legend!
It will pave the road for others wanting to do it an
not knowing IF this or that will work...

Let us know if you give it the go ahead!
Man that will be awesome!
Imagine a noise of a viper coming from an A body!
People will freakkkkkk :cheers:

Mark.

Mark a buddy of mine is in the process of scrapping out a 90 Ram 1 ton that has a Cummins and I'm sure it has a good working 727. But I'm also sure it has a ton of hard miles on it (he pulled a 10,000 lb. scrap trailer with it regularly) so it'd need gone through to stand up to a V-10. If your interested I'll ask him what he's going to do with it. Just let me know.

Fishy, I WON'T miss this deal! :D

It doesn't matter if it's weak, It'd be coming apart, first to help mock up the set-up, then to get built, if the set-up proves to be do-able.

Please get it for me, if you can.

Mark.

just thinkin out loud but y not put a cummins in an a???? lol 12v or 24 they can be a lot of fun lol. i dont know diesels good enough for me to do it but y not lol. my buddy is puttin a 6.5 chebby in a chevelle malibu and he only knows of one other one like that and its not in the u.s. so y dont someone do the cummins in a mopar and be the only one possibly ever to have that lol

A Cummins is pretty long, even for a 'C' body Chrysler, but the weight is the main reason I decided to pass, no torsion bar in a Mopar is gonna' handle that much weight for very long.
I was looking at doing it, and just for giggles, I had buddy set one of mine down on the hood of a New Yorker, with no engine and trans in it, and it went straight to the ground and wouldn't even bounce with the Cummins on the hood.
You shoulda' seen the 15" tires bulge at the bottom!!! :D

Pretty much made up my mind not to do it. :lol:

But, how unique it would be to see a '69-'71 Chrysler 2 or 4 door hardtop cruising along with a 5th wheel trailer hitch stuck into the trunk, blowing black diesel smoke, hey?

Mark.

Yeah them Cummin's are heavy buggers. Plus I bet their even longer than a V10.

Tyler a 6.5 Chevy diesel is a V8 so it'll be much easier to put in than an inline engine.

Fishy, I WON'T miss this deal! :D

It doesn't matter if it's weak, It'd be coming apart, first to help mock up the set-up, then to get built, if the set-up proves to be do-able.

Please get it for me, if you can.

Mark.

Just sent you a PM Mark. I might have jumped the gun telling you about the 727 cause just today a guy stopped by and wants to buy the whole truck. I put Terry's # in the PM so you can call him tomorrow eve. and see if the deal went through or not. If it don't go through and he parts it out I'll make sure you get first crack at it.

Yeah them Cummin's are heavy buggers. Plus I bet their even longer than a V10.

Tyler a 6.5 Chevy diesel is a V8 so it'll be much easier to put in than an inline engine.

ya. its a straight 6 so it might be reasonable cuz the /6 fits. i had forgot about the weight tho lol. it would be sweet if someone made it work but pbly not from me and pbly not for a long while lol i want to watch someone put the v10 in tho. earlier someone talked about it and a guy from australia posted a pic of one i believe. searched all last night and could not find it. but it looked to fit snug but not to bad

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=56826

i found it:) its a viper motor thread but its the same thing. but got pics:):)

v101.jpg

v102.jpg

ya. its a straight 6 so it might be reasonable cuz the /6 fits. i had forgot about the weight tho lol. it would be sweet if someone made it work but pbly not from me and pbly not for a long while lol i want to watch someone put the v10 in tho. earlier someone talked about it and a guy from australia posted a pic of one i believe. searched all last night and could not find it. but it looked to fit snug but not to bad

Your right it is a straight 6 and a /6 fits but there's a huge diff. in the bore diameter of them so the Cummins is a bunch longer. I'm gonna take a guess and say it's at least 6-8 inches longer. Since the V10 barely fits due to length I can't imagine even being able to squeeze a Cummins in there unless the radiator yoke and firewall was severely modified. Your right it would be cool though.

Cool pics of the V10 Dart. That proves it can be done.

Very Very Sweet Dart, but it looks so......
CUSTOM and SANITARY!
Has anyone ever actually used a TRUCK ENGINE, something even a poor slob has a chance to afford?

No way I can compete with that Dart, so hacked and dirty it'll have to be! :D

I wonder what they did about front accessories?
Wait, I'll figure it out for myself.

Mark.

Your right it is a straight 6 and a /6 fits but there's a huge diff. in the bore diameter of them so the Cummins is a bunch longer. I'm gonna take a guess and say it's at least 6-8 inches longer. Since the V10 barely fits due to length I can't imagine even being able to squeeze a Cummins in there unless the radiator yoke and firewall was severely modified. Your right it would be cool though.

Cool pics of the V10 Dart. That proves it can be done.

Isnt that the 1 from sweden .. That doesnt run?
Well not yet...

Anyone can put a motor in an engine bay!
What you want is to see,here,an watch the thing
chalk the road!

ya you are probably right about the cummins. some one drink one to many red bulls and do it please lol. ya that dart is from sweden i think not australia mb. it fits nice even if it dosent run yet. someone here can do it right and make it run and be nice

-
Back