SRT8CUDA Build

-
The work on the car looks great, and your pictures and description of all of it, superb. You are going to have one beautiful car there when it is done. Good luck finishing. A '69 340 Formula S fastback was my first car back in 1972, and I always loved it. But I was looking for a 4 speed car and traded it for a '69 swinger 4 speed. Both long gone, and of course would take either one now. Don't ever sell your cuda!

A pic of my other Cuda. Formula S 340 auto console with factory air.

Attachments

• IMG_1040 comp.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,567
1. When the clutch was almost fully depressed, the push rod hit the top of a retainer in the end of the clutch MC. Took this retainer out and ground a relief. (First 2 photos)
2. Also had to slice about 3/8" off the end of the brake MC push rod bracket that bolts to the brake pedal so that it would connect to the pedal at the right point. (3rd photo)

Attachments

• IMG_1398a.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,496
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,530
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,529
Went through a lot of gnashing of teeth etc to get this bellhousing aligned OK. I first started to get the bore aligned, but then saw a post that you should get the face alignnment in spec first. To get the face parallel with the engine, I had to shim the top of the bellhousing out 0.015" at the top 2 bolts (used 0.005" shims on the next 2 lower bolts and no shims on the bottom 2 bolts. Final was 0.003" TIR (Specs are 0.006" TIR)
Then fought for a long time with 0.014" offset dowels to get the bore alignment done. Final was 0.002" TIR. (Specs are 0.008" TIR)
FINALLY finished this afternoon.
Did a trial fit of the tranny (no clutch) and it slipped right into the pilot bearing with no binding.
Now I can get the clutch installed and get the tranny bolted on and get this Hemi in the car!!

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,393
  • IMG_1463.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,350
I am surprised that the new block
Needed any alignment ..
Must be your bellhousing was a little off ..
I hate checking bh alignment but its a necessary
Evil ,
Great job -- nice lookin trans --
I have modified a chevy tool for this alignment
Purpose .. It works great ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,342
I am surprised that the new block
Needed any alignment ..
Must be your bellhousing was a little off ..
I hate checking bh alignment but its a necessary
Evil ,
Great job -- nice lookin trans --
I have modified a chevy tool for this alignment
Purpose .. It works great ..

I'm sure the block is OK, but old used bellhousings usually need alignment, including face alignment. I think it is even more critical when using Jamie's new 5 speed, because there did not appear to be any play in the input shaft. It was solid.

I guess that I was assuming that the bell housing is for an LA engine, not the 3rd gen hemi. I have been told that one mounting bolt hole is not used on the hemi.

Correct
There is no tapped hole in the top center of the Gen III Hemi block.

Attachments

• IMG_1470.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,273
I had to grind down part of the flange on the clutch inspection cover on the passenger side to ensure the header would not hit.

Note: If you are using this SB bellhousing - recommend you do NOT install the bolt on this corner of the inspection cover. You can't remove it once the header is on and thus can't remove the inspection cover without removing the RH header.

I'm also using RemFlex header gaskets instead of the TTI gaskets as added insurance against leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_1534.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,196
  • IMG_0728m.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,182
  • IMG_1527.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,217
I have had my TTI headers on for roughly 4 years, and using their gaskets, and not a single leak.

Remflex are an excellent sealing gasket, but, if for any reason you have to take a header or collector off they're junk. I like the 09+ truck 5.7 gaskets with built in heat shield.

Hey Real Wing, anything more going on?

Yes - one step forward and another back!! The engine and tranny assembly went back in on the weekend and came right back out because the clutch fork was too high and the slave cylinder was hitting the body.
I had previously modified the fork pivot bracket (Welded on a piece and redrilled the holes) to move the fork arm higher because it had originally positioned the slave too close to the header.
Well I goofed. It was now too high. Took the bracket out, my son welded up all the holes and redrilled new (final) holes between the other 2.
I also had to move the brake line to the LF brake because it was too close to the header.
Engine/tranny back in and the slave position is now OK. Currently fabricating a bracket to connect the end of the slave cylinder to the X member.
First photo shows the fork bracket and the position of the final holes. 2nd photo shows the final position of the clutch fork.

Attachments

• IMG_1365m.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,100
-
Back