SRT8CUDA Build

-
Riddler was asking about dimensions of the support stand I made to support the RMS frame/engine/tranny, so thought I'd post it here.

Attachments

• IMG_0271 dimensions.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,699
  • IMG_0699.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,645
cool-leds.com has some nice leds i had them make me a board for my 66,,, they dont make custom boards they have a selection of boards that theu use for popular tail lites mostly in the street rod world,,they will e mail you a pic with deminsions of all there boards maybe one will fit your housings,,

unless it was a cheap LED there no way its not brighter then a 1157 type bulb,,,,but the big thing to consider useing those BRIGHTER bulbs is HEAT they make HEAT and warp and melt lenses,,,find a good set of LED,S no heat,,less voltage drawl,,,save your lenses

I checked one supplier - LEDtronics http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=1168

Their 1157 LED bulb emits 35.9 Lumens on bright setting. A stock 1157 incadescent bulb emits 402 lumens. The stock bulb is thus 11 times brighter. Let me know if you are aware of a LED 1157 bulb that has > 402 lumens output. I wanted to change over to LEDS, but I could not find one, so that is why I stuck with a high output incadescent bulb.
I'm going to use LEDS in the instrument panel

I checked one supplier - LEDtronics http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=1168

Their 1157 LED bulb emits 35.9 Lumens on bright setting. A stock 1157 incadescent bulb emits 402 lumens. The stock bulb is thus 11 times brighter. Let me know if you are aware of a LED 1157 bulb that has > 402 lumens output. I wanted to change over to LEDS, but I could not find one, so that is why I stuck with a high output incadescent bulb.
I'm going to use LEDS in the instrument panel

superbrightleds.com has one listed at 420 lumens but is listed to be used with cars with a can buss system. It had load resistors in it to prevent the can buss system from tripping a code that would occur using regular leds. Not sure why they would not work in regular cars but it is listed that they should not be used in non can buss systems

Re the passon trans. His website still says the trans is pending? Sooooo just wondering if this changes your plans,or if the website simply hasnt been updates in a looong while.

Re the passon trans. His website still says the trans is pending? Sooooo just wondering if this changes your plans,or if the website simply hasnt been updates in a looong while.

No change in plans. I'm #4 on the list so expect to hear very shortly that it is ready.
I've been keeping in tough with Jamie. He was just waiting for some shifter parts to come back from heat treating and then he was ready to start assembly.

No change in plans. I'm #4 on the list so expect to hear very shortly that it is ready.
I've been keeping in tough with Jamie. He was just waiting for some shifter parts to come back from heat treating and then he was ready to start assembly.

Thats excellent news! It's been a long time coming.

Haven't done much all summer, but did get the AC and heater boxes installed along with the FAST wiring harness.
I didn't like cutting a 2" hole in the firewall for the FAST harness to go through, so I took off the connectors on the the harness, so I could drill smaller holes for the wiring and split "noisy" wiring (eg separate coil wires from crank/cam sensor wiring as recommended by FAST.
Also took off all the "GM" convoluted wiring covers and taped individual leads.
Still waiting for a call from Jamie Passon to tell me my tranny is ready for pickup!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1278 T.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,552
  • IMG_1279 T.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,521
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,531
Picked up my Passon 5 speed OD tranny from Jamie yesterday!!:blob::blob::blob:

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,256
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,253
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,255
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,274
  • IMG_1340.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,255
  • IMG_1339.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,344
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,293
Nice to see that the passon 5 speed does in deed exist.

What is the cost of the 5 speed trans real wing? Outstanding build, for a novice like me I have learned a lot of great info and tips in this build!

What is the cost of the 5 speed trans real wing? Outstanding build, for a novice like me I have learned a lot of great info and tips in this build!

Also interested in cost and weight difference from A833. Why did you choose this over Keisler?

love the build.

but this thread is making me think twice about doing a new hemi swap in my demon lol.

I am interested in how the 5 speed works with just three levers and rods.

The reverse lever is also 5th in the other direction. There are actual people that still buy Keisler 5 speeds? Crazy especially when you still have to cut the car to use them, and they shift like a Kenworth.

I am very happy to see that Passon is shipping five speed transmissions. I've eagerly followed the discussion about the Passon Performance 5-speed over at Moparts. Jaimie has frequently candidly commented on his progress and lack of progress in this venture.

For those of you interested the key benefit of the Passon 5-speed is that it is a direct replacement for the A-833 4 speed. The gears are larger and thus stronger and there is absolutely NO cutting required of the car. The transmission is so tough Jaimie actually bent the unitized body on his test platform and had to weld in subframe connectors to continue testing. In addition several other manufacturers announced bolt in five speeds only for them to turn out to be vaporware.

The key advantage of the Passon 5-Speed over the Keisler transmission is that is its durability. The TKO 600 simply won't hold up to a big block or a car with slicks. I believe that the Passon 5 speed would hold up to the abuse of a high torque car and slicks.

Old School Muscle,

Don't despair, learn from Real Wing, and swapping a Gen III Hemi gets easier all the time. Though it isn't cheap.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

This is from a recent posting by Jamie Passon.

Updated pricing is $4495.00. Those that ordered the unit at $4295, we will stick to the quoted price. I have a line drawn on the list that separates the $4295 and $4495. The sad reality is that we are not leaving much meat on the bone with the $4295.00 cost. I didn't want to do this, but that is the reality we are facing. We had to raise the price slightly.
Jamie

--------------------
Passon Performance
309 Turkey Path
Sugarloaf, PA 18249
(570) 401 8949

Also interested in cost and weight difference from A833. Why did you choose this over Keisler?

1. Weight difference? I haven't weighed them yet, but it is heavy! Even though the case is made out of AL, there are a lot of heavy duty shafts and gears inside. That is probably why Jamie couldn't break it in his drag car.
2. Why this over Keisler? let me count the reasons!
- it is an absolute direct bolt-in
- zero mods required to the car or structure.
- the shifter location is identical to stock. Just bolt on your stock shifter handle and have fun!!
- The driveline angle is the same as stock. Most of the transplant tranny's significantly alter the driveline angle - something they don't tell you.
- It was designed from a clean sheet of paper. Every last part was engineered to be robust with a decent margin to failure.
- It is designed and manufactured in the US
- Jamie has an outstanding record of quality work and caring for his customers. He absolutely refused to start production until he was 100% happy.
- he has invested a huge amount of $$$$$$$$ in this project, and I'm very pleased to support him.

Jim

-
Back