SRT8CUDA Build

-
Jim thank you for posting more info about your power steering. I am in Florida for the winter and bought a similar unit like you are using with the remote reservoir at a swap meet with the hope that I can make it fit my application. Unfortunately I will not be able to check for fitment until I return to Canada. However your pictures and info has put my mind at ease that I am likely on the right track and did not buy something that will not work for my build. As usual you are a wealth of information with your build and I again thank you for your patience with those of us admire your build and the help you have been with documenting your learning curve.

What size tires are you running out back.

235/50R-17 Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. I went conservative on the size because I wasn't fully confident of the fit and clearances. Now that I have then installed, I could have gone wider.
Jim

Jim thank you for posting more info about your power steering. I am in Florida for the winter and bought a similar unit like you are using with the remote reservoir at a swap meet with the hope that I can make it fit my application. Unfortunately I will not be able to check for fitment until I return to Canada. However your pictures and info has put my mind at ease that I am likely on the right track and did not buy something that will not work for my build. As usual you are a wealth of information with your build and I again thank you for your patience with those of us admire your build and the help you have been with documenting your learning curve.

One thing that is important is the size and length of the pump suction hose from the reservoir. Ensure it is at least a -10 AN (5/8") size and keep length <16". This is to minimize the chance of cavitation in the pump.
Jim

One thing that is important is the size and length of the pump suction hose from the reservoir. Ensure it is at least a -10 AN (5/8") size and keep length <16". This is to minimize the chance of cavitation in the pump.
Jim
I am running 25550 17 thinking of 275/40, your car looks great. I couldn't find pics of your seats I might have skipped a page I put some 2005 BMW conv seats in mine all power and heated with shoulder belt built in. paid 75 bucks and had them redone.

I am running 25550 17 thinking of 275/40, your car looks great. I couldn't find pics of your seats I might have skipped a page I put some 2005 BMW conv seats in mine all power and heated with shoulder belt built in. paid 75 bucks and had them redone.
I recovered my stock seats using Legendary Interiors "Rallye" design. The BMW seats sounds like a great idea - especially having shoulder belts.

IMG_3907_1280x719.JPG

IMG_3940_1280x719.JPG

IMG_3954crop_632x960.JPG

This thread should be labeled how to do it all install. I wish you had started your build before me. Your documentation and pictures are top notch you have done a fantastic job. This is magazine worthy material. I hate reading through here seeing all the things I need to redo.

I"m still undecided about installing the custom stripe on the car. I had a custom stripe made exactly like the "Sport Stripe" option - except it has the 6.1 HEMI cutout (instead of 340 or 383)

I mocked up a piece of the stripe to see how it would look. I think I will install it and can remove it if I'm not happy I suppose.

IMG_4533_1280x719.JPG

141944_b42b07f929_low_res.jpg

I like it without the stripe, but it won't hurt to do one side of the car and see what you think after a few weeks

Power steering problems fixed:thumbsup:
The bigger reservoir (Billet Specialties 77910) solved the problem of air being entrained in the fluid. Plus I no longer have the jerkiness in the steering when turning. Not sure if that was due to the new pump or the reservoir or both - but it is gone!!!

What reservoir did you have? A remote unit or was it attached directly to the pump?

It was a remote unit that was an option (a $205 option!!!) with the March Performance Accessory drive kit. The reservoir on the left is the one from March

IMG_4482_1600x898.JPG

Any chance you could measure the distance from the top of your core support to the top of your radiator cap and the remaining clearance to your hood?
Not sure if my new radiator is going to clear and my hood is in storage.
Did you have to lower the bottom of your core support to fit your radiator.
Mine is shorter than yours overall but the top of the cap is even height with the fenders just sitting on the core support.
It is a US Car Tool Full Core Support.
FZ5JAU62a_lN13N0RSvLV7WaNJsHlJennw_vvrbHTv4tLEsjtRDSOTXKRliSjSgFsVvtKTI9Ga0j6dMZ-mtLlAq5IZGM8Cxl9iWIUveDpWhJsidcgaiRkBbmrHVrJ3kYRPgzs2HAp1SnsQGYvJP8oYo610y77ZhmTq-b62qCIVPSimweXSSmXXrt-fmZp-0NMuRozzvUTuvTEis9ZYYcL5AXnGdm3RH0xdH6o1-x_SIvURZPB_jbXLLj7PUCoDm6iLmQLMGwTtg1DyxPTjT60T_mePMKlDDbHFTYN397A1g6oTBj6uhQblh9kRzWvbU8oWY-ol8yu_AekQI8bdQG9Zkw5oJIzegJe5k7RChHTp5gOK71H-4sx9RBmYgRj-ZxIglwWPE6Zo0cvwUMIzrlimAEYQMgzV5DquPbbXRMERQUDeVu6IgNAigVhI801wHVc3DDVGJwf8urPehn3kTEl62UQ5HecDBAp6FM4D8_0gY3NMDvS9yY47_4XTMmZPk6JaT7Ie1-9_tZ58ee80ptukpNbs5yfyCVHXHpmqy8a9_ifsrzk_EKNnBQR332Y9kjUeAKWI-gCAEzCWZ9xJcQPk-fhWPHVCUNxpYmASFzS9U3f23Mv719TJomg4p4fJ0042alk0nPeMgXhEzutub__OeOfS4cTPhUyK-UEjoSKA=w3045-h1713-no

AS6ZqW2KDNj6w-Abrwcy2do2IQAWwNZqV-IwcIcITIO0A7_e0h0czlMpLgihOzZK6KmgXWZVJoSY_8Zn5k8zfdEtJDzI-vXDi8UmfWVvcpjFER3-6COlSa6eSwnAolJEJ73IaKA_R8DUp5oC3R50v7QfFBy3eLUWIAnx13lkOOew49dzBzSL6k5V8vv9zYdCtIkS44hhlemdR7CXpax3lb---ymQS5mbkHQU0jcFldLkvWH5QNgJOwrIk4mc_excDUBCpTZlGpSMzT88Tyl4SdA8uXThfgFGsCshNlC_01b38ju1OMh5rF7mR1Y5qVuV607cNA6I7rNpPau9OmGfK4O2-VgM1qn_H8NuMUV82HRc2U81E6ZFlDTCjaCsUIQ60bS21hG1L1__d17R-7E-ZmlY7IrzbkhAfxdMDCDKntS1ztT-cpkc3-PvS5YeQwOj-7DgbuFVI4wxIrcJel3Xk349V7LRd3KZuTPa3wjHdVU5fOMh6BPZyv94Mng_p-f0yzyo3hcPb07e666ukL8WcUoKQc1xffYXoCyXedCLHv4jAmbf4nA-28mydz5WcQ4Dd2OUjqwdHIw8JI_FNqcz0sdwAm6OryaM2JIj9HpZdmjJRYizlb_YGBAEGfnPGfwWVHAZOcIkzZOv9ru5X5qnSpV2fV4l1NH-0n2e7mVRvg=w3045-h1713-no

Thanks,
Randy

Hi Randy
I was worried about the same thing when I was putting my rad in. To make sure I had enough clearance, I had Wizard Cooling shorten my top tank when they were making it. As it turned out, I have lots of clearance.
Measurements:
1. With a straightedge across the fenders I have 3/8" clearance to the rad cap.
2. My rad cap is 1" above the core support.
3. With the hood closed I have 1" clearance between the rad cap and the support plate under the center of the hood. (At the rear of the cap there is 1.25" but at the front edge there is only 1" clearance because the hood slopes down at the front.)
4. I used a XV Motorsports core support with 2" extensions welded onto it. The rad sits on this support. LOWER RADIATOR SUPPORT
Hope that helps!!
Jim

IMG_4567_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4570_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4571_1280x719.JPG

IMG_7500_1280x960.JPG

IMG_7545_1280x960.JPG

IMG_7550_1280x960.JPG

Thanks Jim!
Appreciate all the details.
By my math it looks like it will clear by 1/2 an inch but I will probably section the bottom support and lower an inch anyway.
Just to be safe, and I think it will look better with the top of the rad a little closer to the top of the core support.

Love all the details in your build. I reference back to it often.
BTW, link to my project photo album is in my sig.

Thanks again,
Randy

Thanks Jim!
Appreciate all the details.
By my math it looks like it will clear by 1/2 an inch but I will probably section the bottom support and lower an inch anyway.
Just to be safe, and I think it will look better with the top of the rad a little closer to the top of the core support.

Love all the details in your build. I reference back to it often.
BTW, link to my project photo album is in my sig.

Thanks again,
Randy
Wow - now that is a real project car!!!! There sure was a lot of rust. You are doing a great job on the body work. Congratulations!!
By the way - how did the AMD QP's fit? I've got a '69 FB as well to restore (340S) and it will need at least 1 QP.
Good to see you were taking LOTS of photos during disassembly. They are invaluable later on!!!
Jim

DSCN8389 (1024x768).jpg

Wow - now that is a real project car!!!! There sure was a lot of rust. You are doing a great job on the body work. Congratulations!!
By the way - how did the AMD QP's fit? I've got a '69 FB as well to restore (340S) and it will need at least 1 QP.
Good to see you were taking LOTS of photos during disassembly. They are invaluable later on!!!
Jim

View attachment 1715039364

I can't take credit for the metal work, that's way out of my skill set. My Body/Paint shop said the AMD Quarters fit very nice.
Yup, love google photo app, automatically uploads every picture I take. All I do is copy them to the Project Album.

My first car was a red on red 69 Barracuda fastback with Black stripes. Auto Console car.
Was a 318 car that I put a 340 into. Reverse valve body manual shift 904.
My first 3 cars were fastback Barracudas. This is my 4th and will ultimately be my sons. Father son project.
The plan is for a 5.7 crate with 727 reverse valve body manual shift and gear vendors OD.
Let my son pick the engine, he chose the Pace Performance 460HP 5.7 Crate. It would have been my choice too.

rd

Amazing coincidence. My first car was a '69 fastback, 340S, 4 speed,F8 and my convertible is also my 4th Cuda!!!!
My son has inherited the incurable Mopar virus and has a '69 notchback, a Dart, a RoadRunner, a Cordoba, a Viper, a Valiant and I've lost count of how many more!!!

I've been working with Dakota Digital to sort out the unstable operation of their speed control unit. As soon as I engage the speed control, the vehicle speed increases suddenly and then suddenly slows down and keeps repeating this speed oscillation. I sent the tech some photos of my installation and his next question was: "How many HP in that engine?"!!! My reply was: "A lot!!"
He believes that with the high HP and large TB, the overall gain is too high, (ie a small throttle opening change leads to a large speed increase) so he recommended an adapter they have to mechanically reduce the gain. I hate to add more parts under the hood but it looks like that may be the only way to resolve the issue.
Will soon see after I get it installed.

Dakota Digital TMA-1.jpg

Too much power Jim, maybe you should put one of those adapters on your gas pedal!

I've been working with Dakota Digital to sort out the unstable operation of their speed control unit. As soon as I engage the speed control, the vehicle speed increases suddenly and then suddenly slows down and keeps repeating this speed oscillation. I sent the tech some photos of my installation and his next question was: "How many HP in that engine?"!!! My reply was: "A lot!!"
He believes that with the high HP and large TB, the overall gain is too high, (ie a small throttle opening change leads to a large speed increase) so he recommended an adapter they have to mechanically reduce the gain. I hate to add more parts under the hood but it looks like that may be the only way to resolve the issue.
Will soon see after I get it installed.

View attachment 1715044690

I finished a temporary installation of this adapter and took the Cuda for a test drive today - and the cruise control now works perfectly!!! This adapter significantly reduced the over all gain and now there are no more speed oscillations.
I'll have to see if I can shorten the cables to make a neater installation.

My son checked the AC system today and found some leaks. 2 of the leaks were at the fittings at the compressor that an AC shop installed. They put on the wrong size O rings (too large) and they were pinched when installed. Another small leak at the hi/lo pressure switch on the dryer. Sucked the system down and refilled with R134a and have nice cool 40F air from the AC vents.
Good we got that resolved before we head to Carlisle in 2 weeks.:thumbsup:

IMG_4594_1280x719.JPG

-
Back